"Home" and "Back" Keys Not Illuminating

mehadeyis

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
So I just bought a Droid Razr Maxx (Android 4.04 - ICS), and it seems to work fine except for the fact that the "home" and "back" keys at the bottom of the phone face don't illuminate in lower light. (These keys are in the middle of the key set.) The two outer keys (the key on the left that brings up the wallpaper/manage apps/system settings menu and the key on the right used for conducting searches) both illuminate fine. I bought this "certified, pre-owned device" from a dealer on eBay. It had some issues reading the SIM card initially but that problem went away; however, this key illumination issue has not. :mad:

Has anyone heard of this issue before? Do I have a hardware problem or a software problem or both? Anyone have any solutions?

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I cant think of a reason some would light and others wouldn't. I've never seen it on mine. Sounds like hardware. Return that sucka.

So I just bought a Droid Razr Maxx (Android 4.04 - ICS), and it seems to work fine except for the fact that the "home" and "back" keys at the bottom of the phone face don't illuminate in lower light. (These keys are in the middle of the key set.) The two outer keys (the key on the left that brings up the wallpaper/manage apps/system settings menu and the key on the right used for conducting searches) both illuminate fine. I bought this "certified, pre-owned device" from a dealer on eBay. It had some issues reading the SIM card initially but that problem went away; however, this key illumination issue has not. :mad:

Has anyone heard of this issue before? Do I have a hardware problem or a software problem or both? Anyone have any solutions?

mehadeyis

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI, I did a factory reset with the phone, and the issue is still there. I don't know what else to do except return it, as tlacour recommended. Anyone have any other ideas/solutions? It's so odd to me that some of the soft keys would illuminate but the others wouldn't. I would think it would be an all or nothing thing. :confused:

Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You know, I don't think that I've ever seen the icons at the bottom of the phone illuminate. I've had two Maxx's and don't remember the first one illuminating either. Is it a white illumination???

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. It's just a white led under it. It only lights up if it's bright outside or inside and is supposed to stay off if it's dark to be easy on your eyes

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

mehadeyis

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they illuminate in lower light. At least the two keys that work on mine do. When I move it into a brighter space, the illumination shuts off.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Well that's backwards of mine lmao. I'm standing under a flood light right now and their on.

Actually i don't remember the last time they shut off. Maybe the rom I'm on keeps them on

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, they do light up, guess I just never noticed. Duh, total blonde moment. :eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central Forums