vibration on my Droid Razr Maxx is fading in and out

Bradley Steen

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
When I'm typing on my keypad, I have my phone set so that when I tap on the screen.it acknowledges it by vibrating. But recently I have been typing or navigating my phone, and suddenly the vibrations stop. This goes on for a while, and then the vibration will come back randomly. It won't even vibrate for any messages.received (SMS, MMS, etc.). Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Or should I just take it to the store to be looked at?

Bradley Steen

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes as a matter of fact it does, but I would rather not shake my phone every few texts or so...though right now it seems to be working okay without stopping the vibrations. I will report back if it stops again. Thanks!

Ironcapo

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have this same problem and people have mentioned it's a hardware problem before but this problem came up for me as soon as I updated to ICS. I'm hoping JB might fix it, I'm not sure how exactly it could help though.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Usually I have this problem when my battery is less than 50%, so maybe it's a battery saver.. Ever see if it comes back after a reboot?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Get a replacement. It's a hardware issue.

Had the same problem. It existed even after a factory reset.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Em_Es_Judd

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. I keep the vibration off when I'm texting so it doesn't bother me too much, but I like to have vibration when I press the capacitive buttons and it's been fading in and out with those.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Get a replacement. It's a hardware issue.

Had the same problem. It existed even after a factory reset.

So what would make it work, then not, then work again, after working fine for months with no issues?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. Mine was the same way. Just one day it started fading in and out. No vibrate for calls, buttons, or anything. Then it would come back and randomly quit again.

I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the motor

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. Mine was the same way. Just one day it started fading in and out. No vibrate for calls, buttons, or anything. Then it would come back and randomly quit again.

I'm guessing it probably has something to do with the motor

Same here. It would come and go. Didn't bother me too much, though, it worked most of the time.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It drove me crazy. I couldn't stand how half way through my message it would stop then come back and stop again. And it was even worse when I started missing messages and calls when my phone was in vibrate.

I did a factory reset before I called verizon just to cover all the bases even though I knew it wasn't software but I knew they would have me do one anyway as the techs know absolutely nothing about the difference between hardware and software.

On my second maxx the bottom 3rd if the screen when out and it was just a bunch of static lines and yet they still tried to get me to do a factory reset when it was clearly related to hardware. I try to spend as little time on the phone with them as possible.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
It drove me crazy. I couldn't stand how half way through my message it would stop then come back and stop again. And it was even worse when I started missing messages and calls when my phone was in vibrate.

I did a factory reset before I called verizon just to cover all the bases even though I knew it wasn't software but I knew they would have me do one anyway as the techs know absolutely nothing about the difference between hardware and software.

On my second maxx the bottom 3rd if the screen when out and it was just a bunch of static lines and yet they still tried to get me to do a factory reset when it was clearly related to hardware. I try to spend as little time on the phone with them as possible.

Did you end up getting a refurb? Mine is doing the same thing, but only when it's cold.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Any time you get a warranty replacement it will be refurbished. But I've had this one for 2 or 3 months and haven't had an issue. I would just go ahead and call Verizon. The problem is only going to get worse before the vibrate stops completely

MikeKroemer

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Razr Maxx HD yesterday and was having the same type of problem. It suddenly stopped vibrating on keyboard key presses. After looking around I noticed under --

Settings: Language & input: Android Keyboard Settings (the little gear button on the right): Advanced Settings: Keypress vibration duration settings

mine had somehow been set to 1ms. That seemed a bit on the low side, so I turned it up to 60ms. Now my keyboard vibrates like it should.

Of course some people will want longer or slower, but that is what this setting is all about. I have no idea how or why mine got set to 1ms since I had not been in that menu any time before the problem showed up.

I hope this helps someone out there with a similar problem

MikeKroemer

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the correction. My apologies. Apparently I read this one wrong in the course of looking at dozens of threads before finding a solution to my problem and trying to share. I will try to be more careful if I attempt to help in the future.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
While I'm here, I should say that my 3rd replacement recently starting doing this again. This makes this the third phone with the problem, and now the power button only works half the time.

Pretty sure the lemon laws should be able to get me a new phone 3 phones with the same issue is ridiculous

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
While I'm here, I should say that my 3rd replacement recently starting doing this again. This makes this the third phone with the problem, and now the power button only works half the time.

Pretty sure the lemon laws should be able to get me a new phone 3 phones with the same issue is ridiculous

Mine will occasionally lose haptic feedback and more often, when battery is getting low. A good shake or gentle bump on a solid surface will restore when it happens. Could be hardware I guess??

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2