foxfi on jelly bean?

ronras1

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Jelly Been and FoxFi

On Droid Razor Maxx. The update to JB stopped my Foxfi from working. I can use the USB with PDANet but it seems Verizon cuts me down to 3g sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get back to 4g.
I sure hope Foxfi can release a work around for this.

rkortes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

I have the JB update sitting in my phone but have chosen not to install it yet (wish somebody new how I could delete it). I really enjoy Foxfi and decided not to push the install button to activate JB. I have to bypass the install request every 12 hours.... just one button... not too bad. I am contemplating "Rooting" but still haven't made that decision yet. There's lots of great resources here to do so and I'm sure that will work fine but I'm still a little "iffy" on rooting. Some folks are posting here that their Foxfi works with ICS... that's pretty much a "DUH." I think this thread revolves around folks experiences with tethering and JB which has been well documented. Thanks for all of the great info.

rkortes

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
There's an easy fix...once you update to JB, root your phone and then d/l SqLite Editor to change the "entitlement check" to 0...once you do that, FoxFi/PdaNet+ will work again.

Can you give the link to these specific instructions?.... I can't seem to locate it.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you give the link to these specific instructions?.... I can't seem to locate it.

I'm in the same boat as you - I've never rooted my phone but I'm thinking about doing it.

Here's a video on YouTube that shows the process that was described in post #60

click here

(Disclaimer: The video is not mine and I cannot vouch for its contents.)​

It also appears there are a number of tethering apps on Google Play for rooted phones - this may be an easier option then what was detailed in the video.

J Teezy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem using pdanet+ / Foxfi on my non rooted galaxy s3. Use it to connect my galaxy note 10.1 all the time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem using pdanet+ / Foxfi on my non rooted galaxy s3. Use it to connect my galaxy note 10.1 all the time

What carrier? My MAXX on Verizon is blocked from using FoxFi with WiFi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jackm1249

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on Verizon and use foxfi wireless tether on non rooted s3 to access my laptop and tablet. Tho it drops alot recently

sstrek1

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I can guarantee you will not be able to use foxfi for hotspot after installing the upgrade to jelly bean,DON'T DO IT!!! Blue tooth works, but has restrictions with android apps.

jimjacobs2

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi worked fine on my RAZR Maxx with ICS. But I received the Jellybean update and now Foxfi is blocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Foxfi worked fine on my RAZR Maxx with ICS. But I received the Jellybean update and now Foxfi is blocked.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Where did that come from really Verizon is the problem now. This is an issue that came with jelly bean . It worked fine in ics with the same restrictions

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Something important to note...If you are on the metered data plans you get the Verizon hotspot for free. If you have an unlimited plan then you would need to do the workaround.

Sent from my KFTT using Android Central Forums

J Teezy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dont you love how Verizon makes you buy data and then make you pay even more to use it :(

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I have the JB update sitting in my phone but have chosen not to install it yet (wish somebody new how I could delete it). I really enjoy Foxfi and decided not to push the install button to activate JB. I have to bypass the install request every 12 hours.... just one button... not too bad. I am contemplating "Rooting" but still haven't made that decision yet. There's lots of great resources here to do so and I'm sure that will work fine but I'm still a little "iffy" on rooting. Some folks are posting here that their Foxfi works with ICS... that's pretty much a "DUH." I think this thread revolves around folks experiences with tethering and JB which has been well documented. Thanks for all of the great info.
I think clearing your cache gets rid of it, but it will most likely just want to re-download. A permanent solution is to root and disable the updater via titanium backup. A rooted phone is one that you can take control of, so it's not all bad. From what I've read JB doesn't bring much to the game anyway.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How? I am on a metered plan and when I try to use it I get a pop up that says I need to pay $20.

Have you contacted Verizon on this to ask why it says that. I think it is a generic message aimed at those of us still on unlimited? You should be fine to disregard it but I would call VZW to confirm.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No, but I have looked online and the only option is if I switch to a higher tier plan with Hotspot for $20 more. I thought the Hotspot was only included with the share everything plans, not individual plans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

FrostTheBoss

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I Called right after The Update Installed And basically was Told That I Pay For Unlimited Data(grandfathered In) That Is Only For Data On Phone, But If I Want To Us WiFi For Other Equipment It Was In My Best Interest To Purchase The $20 Tether Plan That They Provide, But It Would Not Be Unlimited, It Would Be A Limited Data Package. I Was Shocked And Asked Why The Would Decide To Do This Especially For Those That Have Unlimited Grandfathered In. He Basically Said It May Suck To You But Not To An Executive That Makes The Decisions. I Just Laughed And Said Screw Your Executive And Hung Up. Hence Me Doing Some ResearchAnd Found This Amazing Forum Of Fellow Android Users That Have Taken The Control And Put It Back In our hands. Thanks To "Braden" (Sorry New To This And Not Sure How To Highlight Others Names And Comments) I Have Successfully Rooted My Phone, No On The next Step To Install A ROM. I Was Basically Doing This To Get My Pdanet Back To FunctionIng So I Can Continue Using Wifi. Just Curious After I Root My Phone, Whats Next? How Do I Get To Edit, Change And Customize My Phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc