[GUIDE] [depreciated] Port AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
How To: Get AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!

[WARN]General disclaimers apply with some special additions.

There is currently no way for you to go back to full Alltel stock. You -can- return to your stock ROM at any time, however at this time I seem to be the only one messing with an Alltel MAXX and I have not tried to remove the recovery yet. Theoretically you could just uninstall Safestrap, but I have yet to research or try this out. So, that means if you have to send your phone in for repair or warranty replacement, or you have to take it in to the store for troubleshooting, you might get turned away.

MMS will probably not work with built-in messaging apps. I'm still working on this. You'll need to use GoSMS for picture messages.

Neither I, nor anybody else is responsible for your actions. You brick, your fault.
[/WARN]

The Guide
You'll need to download a few files.

WinRAR
-- a program to modify your ROM zip files. WinRAR is the only one that will work. 7Zip / WinZip will not help you here.
Notepad++ -- a program that can properly modify Android configuration files.
Black Widow ICS ROM, available in both CM9 and AOKP versions in this thread. (You may be able to do this with other ICS ROMs, however, the process will most likely be different. I'll update this thread with modifications for other ROMs as I go.)
This ZIP file. This is all the stuff that will (almost) get your ROM to work with Alltel.

You'll also need your RAZR MAXX rooted and the Safestrap recovery installled on it. The bad-ass RAZR MAXX king "bradenfontaine" has a great, easy to follow guide on how to do all this right here. That guide will instruct you to download a tool to do lots of cool things to your RAZR. You'll want to follow that guide until you get to the part where you install a ROM. That means when you're done with that and you come back here, your MAXX will be rooted, with the Safestrap recovery installed, and you'll have already made a backup in recovery.
Before we begin...
[TIP]Copy all the files you just downloaded to another folder, give it a name like "RazrMaxx." This will help keep you organized, and give you a backup of everything you've downloaded just in case you need to refer to the originals.[/TIP]

Step 1 -- Extract your ROM ZIP file.
Right-click on the file you downloaded that contains your ROM and use the "Extract to [folder name here]" option.
Nk41A.png

Step 2 -- Extract the AlltelGoodies.zip file you downloaded.
Same process as above.
RxLxZ.png

Step 3 -- Copy the Alltel files directly into the ZIP file.
Okay, you're going to right-click on the ZIP file for the ROM (in this case, BW_ICS-M6_FINAL), go to 'Open With' and press 'WinRAR'
XlwkI.png

Open up the AlltelGoodies folder and move both windows side-by-side. You're going to simply click and drag from AlltelGoodies to the WinRAR window.
7V0Ya.png

Now, a box will come up on top of WinRAR, asking for settings and such. You're going to click where it says 'Normal' and choose 'Store', then press OK. It will add the Alltel-required files into the ZIP file.
G6s93.png

We're half-way there! If you need to take a break, now's the time. The next part will take a bit longer.
Extracting Files & Set-up
Editing the build.prop -- it's not as hard as it looks. :)

In the ROM folder that you extracted (in this case, it's BW_ICS-M6_FINAL, go into the 'system' folder. Right-click on the file called 'build.prop' (or simply 'build'), go down to 'Open With' and choose Notepad++. If Notepad++ isn't in the list, just open up the program manually, go to File > Open and open the build.prop file that way.

You are going to go through this file, edit some things, take some things out, and add some things. You don't need to "know code" or even really understand what you're doing (although it would be a great opportunity to do some of your own research and learn some things), you just need to follow the instructions VERY carefully.

I will lay this out in a table format. The left column will be the set of text that appears in the build.prop originally, and the set on the right will be what you need to replace it with. Be very careful copying and pasting. All spacing, line spacing, etc... needs to stay the same. This table will be in the order, so you don't need to do a lot of jumping around, just follow it line by line. Some of these you may look at and say they are the same. Look closely. Some of them will simply have a '#' added in front, but that one character makes all the difference.

ro.product.model=DROID SPYDER
ro.product.brand=verizon
ro.product.name=spyder_vzw
ro.product.device=spyder
ro.product.model=Motorola RAZR MAXX
ro.product.brand=motorola
ro.product.name=XT908_acg_us
ro.product.device=cdma_spyder
ro.build.product=spyderro.build.product=XT908_acg_us
telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1#telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=1
# Turn on IMS by default
persist.radio.imsregrequired=1
persist.radio.imsallowmtsms=1
persist.radio.imsfwloglevel=3
<-- Delete all of those lines.
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
#ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
#ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0#ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0
# BEGIN Motorola, nfjb73 23-jun-2010, IKMAIN-624
# this is for feature 33860, when phone is activated, the cdma mdn is written.
persist.radio.vzw.cdma.mdn=
# END Motorola, nfjb73
<-- Delete all of those lines.
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.ms=android-verizon
ro.com.google.clientidbase.am=android-verizon
ro.com.google.clientidbase.gmm=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.yt=android-verizon
ro.kernel.android.ril=yes
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.ms=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.am=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.gmm=android-motorola
ro.com.google.clientidbase.yt=android-motorola
ro.mot.product.modelno=XT908
ro.kernel.android.ril=yes
rild.libpath=/system/lib/moto-ril-multimode.sorild.libpath=/system/lib/libmoto_ril.so
## Add the following lines directly below.
gsm.sim.operator.numeric=310000
gsm.operator.numeric=310000
ro.mot.phonemode.vzw4gphone=1
ro.mot.lte_on_cdma=1
ro.mot.tmp.telephony.refactor=true
ro.cdma.subscription=0
ro.telephony.default_network=10
lte_ril.libpath=/system/lib/lib-mot-lte-ril.so
cdma_ril.libpath=/system/lib/libmoto_ril.so
ril.rat=LTE
lte_ril.netcfg_to=90
ro.telephony.call_ring.multiple=false
ro.cdma.homesystem=64,65,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
persist.ril.carrier.id=-1
persist.cdma.home.oprtr.num=311480
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ro.mot.lte_on_cdma=0
ro.cdma.subscription=1
ro.telephony.default_network=4
telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0
ro.mot.tmp.telephony.refactor=true
ro.telephony.call_ring.multiple=false
ro.cdma.homesystem=64,65,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true

Editing your build.prop
You're almost done!

Save the file you just edited.

If you still have WinRAR open with your ROM zip file, double-click on 'system' and click and drag the build.prop into it just like you did with the AlltelGoodies.
lRDfL.png

Now, copy the ROM zip file onto your EXTERNAL SD-card, not your internal memory. If you don't have an SD card, go buy one and come back. They're super cheap. Don't forget to copy over any GApps you may need.

Reboot your phone. You should see a screen that says 'Safestrap; DISABLED'. Press the 'Menu' button on your phone and you will enter recovery.

If you haven't done so earlier, make a backup and place it on your EXTERNAL SD card. Scroll with the volume keys and use the power button to select. Scroll down to 'Backup and Restore', press 'Backup' and if it asks you to include Webtop, press 'Yes' and choose 'External SD card' when it asks you where you'd like to store it.

Now, press the back button until you get to the main menu.

DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR ROM ZIP FILE ON AN EXTERNAL SD CARD, AND HAVE MADE A BACKUP.

Scroll down to 'Safe Boot Menu' and select it. Press 'Toggle Safe System.' (Do NOT use Quick Toggle.) It will ask if you are sure. Press 'yes'.

This will take a little while. Once it's completed, press the Back button or scroll down and select ****Go Back****.

Choose the following options, in this order:
Wipe Data / Factory Reset
Wipe Cache Partition
Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache
Mounts and Storage > Format /system

Now, in the main menu, choose 'install zip from sdcard'. Choose 'external SD card' and find your ROM zip file, and select it. It will probably ask if you're sure, choose 'yes'. Let it do its thing, then go back and follow the same process if you have a seperate GApps file you need to flash. Then, go back into the main menu and press 'reboot system now.'

You'll see the Safestrap screen again, except this time it will say 'Enabled.' Press the 'Search' button or just wait and it should begin to boot into your new ROM.

Congratulations, you just ported a ROM!
Final ZIP Modification
It boots, and is all kinds of awesome -- but how do I fix MMS?

Open up the Play Store, and download GoSMS.

Open it up. Scroll through the three intro screens and tap 'Enter GoSMS'. Make sure to UN-check the 'Agree' box on pop-up that follows, if you don't, it will enable some GoChat nonsense that we don't need.

Tap the 'Menu' button on your phone, and tap 'Settings.'

Tap 'Advanced' at the top, and scroll down to MMS Settings.

Check the box next to 'Fill APN configuration manually.'

Fixing MMS
Tap 'MMSC' and type http://mms.alltel.com/servlets/mms

g2KJ6l.png
Step 1
Tap 'MMS Proxy' and type mms.alltel.com

ZHloFl.png
Step 2
Tap MMS Port and type 8080

V2ZKil.png
Step 3
This is what it should look like when you're all done.

cox75l.png
Final Product
Fixing MMS
Fixing MMS
Awesome job. You're all done!

Big thanks to Hashcode for Safestrap, the guys at DroidRzr for the sweet ROMs, and Jerry Hildenbrand for being my ear throughout writing this guide.

HELP -- Something doesn't work!
Go ahead and reply to this thread. List the ROM you ported and provide a link. Make sure you check the ROMs original thread and see if what you're reporting is broken in their ROM first. If your ROM is asking for a SIM card, you're just going to have to go through the process again.

This looks ridiculous. Can you just post a ported ROM?
No, and neither can you. I have reached out to several developers and asked if I could post ported versions, but sadly, none were receptive to the idea. I can't post a flashable ZIP patch because the hardest part (editing the build.prop) will be a little bit different for every ROM. I'd have to build one from source, and I am exploring my options, but it is generally outside the scope of things I can accomplish.
You're done!
The Guide

Attachments

• AlltelGoodies.zip
    365.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I plan on working out some flashable patches on Monday and will be sure to crank one out for that ROM. I want to check it out myself, it looks sweet.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I started this process and got to the build.prop portion and several of the values that are in your table are not in the original build.prop.

Do you know why? And, if you have a modified build.prop could you upload it or email it to me and then I could overwrite the one in the zip just like we did the system folder?

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
How To: Get AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!
We're half-way there! If you need to take a break, now's the time. The next part will take a bit longer.[/TAB]Editing the build.prop -- it's not as hard as it looks. :)
Editing your build.prop

I have uploaded the 2 build.prop files I have. One is the ROM build.prop and the other is the backup I made with Safestrap and extracted with Winrar. Just so you can see what I mean by the differences in the changes you made. I wonder if I could just use my build.prop from my backup and overwrite the one in the ROM?

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0B6sYCEQ-J9RwbzV2OV9CZmdtMzA
Editing your build.prop

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This -was- a sticky, however, if you look in the stickies now I have begun posting flashable ZIPs for Verizon ROMs to make them work with Alltel. Much easier than asking people to do this. Pmassey -- post in the other thread with the ROM you're trying to port and I'll make you a patch ASAP.

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Got ROMs? Flashable ZIPs for your Alltel MAXX!

Well, I did everything as posted here but I can't format system for some reason.

It says:

Formatting /system
Error mounting /system!
Skipping format...
Done.

Ideas anyone???

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Try mounting (or if it's mounted, unmounting) /system in the same menu first.

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Try mounting (or if it's mounted, unmounting) /system in the same menu first.

Hmmmm. Not happening. I can't mount the system and have no opttion to unmount it. Tried fixing permissions-didn't work. Battery is kinda low, but I don't think that would cause it. Just so you all know I'm using Safestrap 2.11. I can't get the latest version to see my SD card.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

What happens when you select mount /system? (I am also on 2.11.)

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I have the same phone and Safe strap works brilliantly. I don't know man. Maybe try removing and reinstalling it?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski