Razr Maxx, WiFi no longer after Jelly Bean update

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Quickest solution is backup data from internal and external memory and then do factory data restore. I would find your wireless network and forget the network info. It should find network and prompt for PW to get on and hopefully work. Try the forget network first though.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Smith0921

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that worked for me was replacing my old router (it was 12 years old) with a new model.

joneill03

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem but my issue seems to be jumping back and forth from the 4g to the WiFi. When I am out the 4g seems to work fine, but when I get home the phone doesn't want to jump back onto the WiFi network. It sees the network and actually seems to attach, but I get "no connection found" whenever I try to launch anything web based.

The only way for me to get back on the home network is to reboot the phone. Then it picks up the WiFi first since it seems to prefer WiFi over the 4g.

I have a newer (less than 1 yr old) FiOS router with wpa2 encryption. ICS used it flawlessly. Hopefully a fix can be found soon. Till then I'll be doing regular reboots when coming home from work.

Smith0921

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you are experiencing a known wifi issue with jelly bean. It happens on my Xoom and razr on my home network. I downloaded wifi fixer for android from the Google play. It's free and works great on this annoying issue.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with DSL routers for me. My nexus 10 tablet running 4.2.2 connects to the same router just fine. Mi ne happened immediately after the Christmas rollout for the RAZR - wouldn't reconnect to the router it downloaded on! Moto buggered this one...

Sent from my mobile device.

Smith0921

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My old dsl would never connect after JB. When I installed a new router the phone (and my JB Xoom) would connect but would drop the connection when idle.

Erik Bartz

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
my razr maxx also has updated and i can not hook up to my wifi at all, it says connecting but never connects. so your all saying it my router then? this is so stupid , weve lost alotta thigs on the phone as well....i cant see what the update did as far as changes except for a few little things so far. my caller id vanished, not cool. plus now im sucking up data unable to be connected to my home wifi. super lame. thx 4 nuthin.:(

Skwerlrebellion

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Been coming to this site for a while for all my Droid questions, yet never posted. Thank you all for your great questions and answers!
I bring tidings of a possible answer to the No WiFi after JB 4.1.2 OTA, courtesy of an answer received at the google project site: Issue 36638 - Google Project Hosting
Original answer here: No Wi Fi after Jelly Bean Update - DroidRzr.com

TL;DR
Per Motorola some older routers are not supported, some listed below:
Westell VersaLink 327W [dang, I love this router- it always worked :(]
Actiontec Gt724-WG
Netgear DG834GT
Netgear DG934G (Sky Version)
Lynksys WRTP54G
Motorola Netopia 3347-02
Siemens gigaset SE567
Actiontec GT701 -WG

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Need to find the cause first. I haven't seen any feedback on the issue other than, it doesn't work. One of the biggest things people can do is unsecure the wireless and see if problem still exist, then re add security and if problem comes back describe the security setup and router model.

pattonr

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same WIFI problems after updating to Jellybean. I have resolved this issue and my WIFI is working without any connection problems. The Jellybean update is not compatible with all 802.11 Standards. My Actiontec wireless router only supported 802.11 G. This is the problem with this upgrade. I have upgraded my network to a ActiontecGT784-WN This DSL Wireless router will support 802.11 B, 802.11 G, and 802.11 N The Jellybean upgrade apparently doesn't support 802.11 G So much for backward compatibility! I wasn't going to wait until the next OS fix to correct this Issue. I have read and tried several of the so called "Fixes" for this issue in this forum. None have worked, which led me to investigate further concerning the WIFI compatibility issue, which was the whole issue all along. Hope this Information is helpful. I am running the Jellybean version of Android on a Verizon Razor Maxx.

telecomuter

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue (razr maxx not able to connect to wifi after jb update). I have Verizon DSL. They supplied the Westell Versalink 327W router when I signed up for the service years ago. I called them, described the issue and they agreed to send me a newer replacement router free of charge . Thank you to the participants in this thread for helping me diagnose and fix the problem quickly.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had this problem a few times, where my phone will not connect for anything to my home wireless network. It will either show the network, but say it is out of range, or try to connect, but never can.

Here are the two solutions I have tried with success:

Network out of range - Restart Phone. (hold power and volume key)

Tries to connect, but can't, or just does not see network: Unplug the Router, let it set for a minute or so, and plug it back in. This resets the router, and has worked for me every time.

If anyone is still having this problem, try this before doing a factory reset. Not saying it will work for everyone, but sure better than dealing with FR.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I experienced the same WIFI problems after updating to Jellybean. I have resolved this issue and my WIFI is working without any connection problems. The Jellybean update is not compatible with all 802.11 Standards. My Actiontec wireless router only supported 802.11 G. This is the problem with this upgrade. I have upgraded my network to a ActiontecGT784-WN This DSL Wireless router will support 802.11 B, 802.11 G, and 802.11 N The Jellybean upgrade apparently doesn't support 802.11 G So much for backward compatibility! I wasn't going to wait until the next OS fix to correct this Issue. I have read and tried several of the so called "Fixes" for this issue in this forum. None have worked, which led me to investigate further concerning the WIFI compatibility issue, which was the whole issue all along. Hope this Information is helpful. I am running the Jellybean version of Android on a Verizon Razor Maxx.

I disagree on supporting "g" standards. It works fine at hotels that run "g".

Have you found something that states the same thing. My old place of work hasn't upgraded to "n" and they are running "g"as well.

There was some note about not supporting older routers. I will see if I can dig that up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Smith0921

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Resolved my issue by upgrading to a newer router. Had to stay with "G" to support wireless printers and so far I have had no issues.

dc c

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Droid razr
I reset my DSL router (paper clip method) and my net gear router WGR614.v10, to factory settings. then checked my internet settings on PC, I cleared my phone cache. droid RAZR. So far WiFi is working good.

Diann Cauthen

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
No, I am having the same exact problem as Mickkev. I can connect to Wi-fi at home but at work it says I am connected with excellent signal strength but I cannot google or fb or anything. It says retry. I even had Verizon try to walk me through. I am in dire need of a fix for this problem.