Razr Maxx, WiFi no longer after Jelly Bean update

dapostolis

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, first post.. I have read a lot here, but still not sure what to do in my case...

I forced the ROM to update to Jelly Bean and everything works fine except that I can no longer connect to WiFi here at the house. I would be just fine in solving this issue, or reverting back to either ICS or stock. Can someone please help with a solution? Thanks

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me too. I was at another location with a DSL wi-fi (older) router. It was connected to wi-fi to download the update but wouldn't connect once updated. I deleted the location and tried re-adding it with no success. When I got home (where I have a FiOS (newer) router), it connected automatically and worked fine. The new update may no longer permit connecting to older routers running older protocols? Just a guess and a suggestion from someone else on the forums.

dapostolis

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
That's the same thing that I came up with during my internet searching.
Even if we buy new routers, hopefully an fix is found soon or many of us won't be able to connect to many WiFi hot spots. Thanks for the reply. :)

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm hopeful this is right because I can't believe that Moto/Google suddenly dropped the ability to connect to older routers.

And to clarify, this update was pushed to me - I did not download it on my own. I was one of the lucky ones who had it go through.

Smith0921

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Has to be something with the build. JB on my Xoom connects just fine on my home router (old Linksys) but no luck with my JB Maxx.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Same here with my RAZR M. I had to set my router to WEP instead of WPA and it connected fine. I've never had a problem with any device connecting to it. Its way less secure. I think I'll invest in a new router.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Is that right? I haven't noticed a difference in speed. We even stream Netflix on my xbox through the wireless. I've just read that it's easily compromised.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
WEP has a max speed of 54mbps where as WPA has a max of 300.

If your router or devices are b/g you won't notice a difference as the max for them is only 54mbps anyway. A wireless n router and device will be capable up to 300mbps

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
WEP has a max speed of 54mbps where as WPA has a max of 300.

If your router or devices are b/g you won't notice a difference as the max for them is only 54mbps anyway. A wireless n router and device will be capable up to 300mbps

This is off topic but if my internet is not that fast (12 down) does it make a difference?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This is off topic but if my internet is not that fast (12 down) does it make a difference?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You won't actually see speeds of 300 mbps or even 54 for that matter. Those are simply the link speeds between your router and device, even though mine shows linked at 300mbps I get 25 down.

Your download speed comes from your isp and there isn't much you can do to change it, although you may see a slight boost in speed with a wireless n router and device using wpa or newer security.

UTZY1975

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had all the same problems and tried everything. Finally, I decided if I can make my phone a hotspot then there must be a way to do the same with my laptop. I downloaded the lite version of Connectify and as for now my phone is connected to wifi. Of course it's not ideal but it will work for the moment until I can get a new router. Hopefully this simple download will relieve other's frustrations for a minute as it did for myself.

mickkev

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I just updated my RAZR Maxx to Jelly Bean last night and found that I could not connect to wifi in the office but had not problem at home because the modem just upgraded to Verizon FiOS. Now, I really regret it. Can someone tell me how to revert back to ICS? Much appreciated!

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just updated my RAZR Maxx to Jelly Bean last night and found that I could not connect to wifi in the office but had not problem at home because the modem just upgraded to Verizon FiOS. Now, I really regret it. Can someone tell me how to revert back to ICS? Much appreciated!

It doesn't matter that it is FIOS. Both are wifi. If it works with one it should, theoretically, work with the other. Forget the network Connection for the work and retype the password to connect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

LIONHEAD620

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yes, i have the same problem. jellybean 4.1.2 was pushed to me yesterday. i accepted and downloaded (since i have been waiting for jb) and promptly lost my wifi at home. I have an older Verizon DSL wireless router which all of my laptops, ipads, iphones, xbox, wii...etc...all still work on. i walked into an Applebee's restaurant tonight and my wifi jumped to life and promptly connected to their wifi and i was online in seconds. came home to the "no wifi home" here anymore. i am also not sure what to do. and the guy at the verizon store basically said that it could be nothing but the "code" of the jelly bean upgrade. and he also told me that there was no way back from jb to ics. what now?

1 additional piece of info:

my phone can detect and "see" my home network...but NEVER connects to it. and it is "wep" protected.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude