Someone please help? I want out of JB and back into ICS 4.0.4

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well it was leaked by accident to some people, who then copied the file so other users could install it manually.

Technically its a leak since it wasn't intended to be OTA, even though it's likely the actual OTA will be the same.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have only had samsung and htc. The htc was trickier at the start, but not hard. Then s-off came along and it was as easy as the samsung.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you read the disclaimers, then you must remember the part where it said there is no going back. You are stuck. If you try and go back your phone will be a very expensive paperweight.

And please to all others giving advice, do your research before giving false advice. It only causes more confusion and more bricked phones. This forum is for a specific phone if you do not have this phone currently and are experiencing issues with the OP then please do not post things that can confuse them even more.

There is a reason for disclaimers at the beginning of posts.

Foxfi will not work on jellybean. Not like it did on ICS. It says so in the apps home page.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
hey thanks for summing up the entire thread in one post and being as smug as possible about it...

watch_out__we_got_a_badass_over_here_by_deadwoodpete83-d504d72.jpg

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I know Braden, he wasn't trying to put anyone down, just trying to get the point across that if someone offers advice that doesn't know how our phones, serious issues could arise.

I'm all for help from whoever it comes from, but sometimes some things are best left to other people who have the same phone that knows what's going on.
I'm just glad the op didn't actually try to flash the ics files, or he would been out of a phone.

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I may have been quick to make the jump to JB. But I learned not to be too quick to jump back on ICS and get screwed. Thank you to all who gave advice. *sigh* I wish I had done research more thoroughly before I did jump. Darn it all.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, either way someone will either find root, or the actual OTA will be released that will probably be rooted in a couple days.

The reason leaks don't really get rooted is because they are just that, leaks. Devs aren't going to waste their time figuring stuff out when but they time they do another update will be out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried subscribing to MHs through Verizon? I know it costs $30 additional a month, but if you really must have MHs, then it is an option.

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
On a side note with all of this, if(when) the official JB update starts to roll out, will I be able to receive the OTA, or will I have to sideload it manually?

Here's my phone's situation:
Leaked JB (sideloaded), stock recovery, rooted (backed up in ICS before the update).

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Usually flashing a leak takes you off the ota path, but that doesn't matter so much since you can always flash it manually

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I forgot about the locked bootloader. While it may be possible to go back, the other poster is right. It very well could brick and isn't worth it.

You would be safer either figuring out foxfi or rooting and using Wifi tether

We're not all as lucky as you s3 owners :D lol

But yeah, the bootloader and kernel are different than what is on ics, so it wouldn't end well at all :(

Yeah way more involved and complicated.

It was even twice as hard as my htc and that was a pain before soff

This is slightly off topic, but I'll bring it up because the reason I do it is avoid the same situation the OP finds himself in...

Unless there was absolutely no choice in the matter, I never buy a phone unless I know I can unlock the bootloader. When the S3 came out, I was definitely interested in it, but the bootloader was locked on the Verizon model, so I waited. Soon after, they announced there would be a dev model you could buy, which was fine with me because I pay full retail anyway...but page just kept saying "coming soon", so I waited. Then one fine day I stroll over to XDA and see the bootloader had been unlocked and I ordered by device that day. If a better phone had come along while I was waiting, I would have bought it, but only if I knew I could unlock the bootloader. I've become too accustomed to being able to control my device as I see fit and harness the full power of it as I need (plus have the ability to revert backwards when I screw stuff up) to ever go back now.

Again, sorry to throw that out there since it doesn't really help the OP or most folks here on this forum...but hopefully it can be something to consider the next time you're shopping for a new device, since it's one thing you generally won't see in product reviews.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad