Verizon says update, phone says it is, stuck without access internationally

I26

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I am really in a bind here. Verizon told me my phone would be able to make/receive calls as well as texts if I simply turned off data roaming while in the Netherlands. So today I am stuck without access to my family via my phone. I get a little red circle with a slash through it by the greyed out signal bars. I have a Droid Razr Maxx with ICS v4.0.4. I was told through an email from home that I need to perform mandatory software update required to work on GSM network. It simply tells me to run the system update from the phone which already says I am up-to-date.

Can anyone help me get this phone setup properly? I am beyond frustrated and do not want to lose connect with my family as I only have minimal access to a pc as well.

Thanks tons!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure Global Network Mode is enabled? Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks More .../Mobile networks/Network Mode, and make sure Global is checked. On the Mobile networks screen, also tap on Global data roaming access and make sure you've checked "Allow access for all trips."

I26

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure Global Network Mode is enabled? Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks More .../Mobile networks/Network Mode, and make sure Global is checked. On the Mobile networks screen, also tap on Global data roaming access and make sure you've checked "Allow access for all trips."

Thanks for replying. Yes, I double checked everything you mentioned and it is correct. Skype will not even connect, it fails.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a prepaid gsm sim? Pretty sure the only way it will work is if you use a sim card from the Netherlands, but data probably won't work.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree. Have you swapped out your US SIM card? If you can, give us some more details of what you've tried so far, because it's always hard to tell how novice or experienced a user is from a short post.

I26

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
In 'Settings' - 'More...' - 'Mobile Networks' - 'Global data roaming access' - I have selected 'Allow access for all trips'
In 'Settings' - 'More...' - 'Mobile Networks' - 'Network Mode' - I have tried all three options: 'Global' - 'LTE/CDMA' - 'GSM/UMTS'

Is there somewhere to make sure I did not deactivate my phone from making or receiving calls? I also did not buy a SIM card as Verizon said it would not be needed. They simply said turn off Global Roaming and Mobile Data and I would not continue to be charged for incoming/outgoing data. They did say I could make and receive calls and texts with no issues. Now a Verizon rep says I need a mandatory software update to work on a GSM Network. I have clicked on update phobe while on a WiFi network but get a message saying the phone is up-to-date.

Thanks for helping me out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Verizon reps never seem to know what they're talking about. I've never tried global roaming with my Maxx, but my understanding is that you need to swap out your Verizon LTE SIM card for a local SIM card in the country you're visiting if you want to take advantage of the Maxx as a global phone. It should be as easy as going to the local convenience store and purchasing a prepaid SIM card. Make sure, of course, that you don't lose your Verizon SIM, because you'll need to pop it back in once you come back to the US.

Apparently, Verizon used to insist that you needed to purchase one of their expensive global plans if you wanted to use the Maxx in another country, but I think that's only if you don't want to swap out your SIM card.

Here's a long thread from another forum about this issue. The link is for the page where someone confirms that using a foreign prepaid SIM is what you need to do.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/212942-international-travel-razr-maxx-12.html

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Right, the Mandatory update they are talking about IS 4.0.4, because with that it enables world use, but you still need to use a local sim card because verizon is cdma and there is no way to use Verizon's network over gsm.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
You may have to reboot your phone.

I let my son use my Razr Maxx during a recient trip to Spain. Everything worked as expected. The only thing I did for him was buy the Global Data Package so he could use google maps. Sorry you are having problems.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
In 'Settings' - 'More...' - 'Mobile Networks' - 'Global data roaming access' - I have selected 'Allow access for all trips'
In 'Settings' - 'More...' - 'Mobile Networks' - 'Network Mode' - I have tried all three options: 'Global' - 'LTE/CDMA' - 'GSM/UMTS'

Is there somewhere to make sure I did not deactivate my phone from making or receiving calls? I also did not buy a SIM card as Verizon said it would not be needed. They simply said turn off Global Roaming and Mobile Data and I would not continue to be charged for incoming/outgoing data. They did say I could make and receive calls and texts with no issues. Now a Verizon rep says I need a mandatory software update to work on a GSM Network. I have clicked on update phobe while on a WiFi network but get a message saying the phone is up-to-date.

Thanks for helping me out.

You have one thing wrong here. Turn ON Global Roaming and turn OFF Mobile Data. Things should be better after you resolve this. You should be able to Text and Make calls on the GSM network, but no mobile data will come through and you won't be charged for data.

Sorry for the 2nd post, I didn't see this one till now....

I26

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have tried turning on Global Roaming and turning off Mobile Data. I then tried all 3 network types and rebooted as well. No luck, I am really disappointed in Verizon on this bit, they dropped the ball on me. Thanks for everyone trying to help out a new member. I have read alot on the forum as a guest but figured you would be better help than Verizon on the issue.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.. Verizon doesn't know what they are talking about. It won't work without buying a sim, they should have told you that. It won't work with a verizon sim because it's cdma, and really only for the 4g

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
got the razr maxx, obviously its global now. I'm going to need to call back to the US for business from time to time. Are there any apps out there that will enable me to call cheaply? I know i could just call with VZW but i think their rates would be pricy. I do plan to check btw. Still got a few weeks till i go

Google Voice? Would that work? Skype?

whats this about using a "local" sim card? Would it fit in a US maxx and does it help me call back to the US cheaper?
Do i just get them from a wireless provider over there?

Any help greatly appreciated

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
i just discovered that because i use a cheap phone card to call UK from US anyway i can do the same with an app for android noble dialler.. 1.5c a min and no other charges using wifi

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You just buy a prepaid sim card... Just like something like straight talk or whatever here in the us. Don't know the rates, but it wouldn't have to be per minute.

ryanidcomm

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah.. Verizon doesn't know what they are talking about. It won't work without buying a sim, they should have told you that. It won't work with a verizon sim because it's cdma, and really only for the 4g

I used to work for Verizon plus i just got back from Ireland.

you do not need to buy a local sim card. you can use your Verizon service over seas. It will cost you!

In fact a local sim will not work unless your phone is unlocked by Verizon

you do need to update your phone to ICS so the GSM antennas are enabled.

its makes 100% sense that the phone wont update out of the USA.

Skype and KIK messenger and wifi is what i use over seas

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So you're telling me a prepaid sim won't work? When tons have people have used them over seas? Wrong. It just won't work on DOMESTIC gsm networks, meaning networks in the US.

Why would anyone want to use verizon on a gsm network and pay out the ass just to make a call?

My previous statement stands.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The phone shouldn't have to be unlocked by Verizon, because the 4.0.4 ICS update (which the OP already stated he has) already unlocked global use. So there really isn't any need to update beyond 4.0.4, because there are no further official updates beyond 4.0.4.

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to work for Verizon plus i just got back from Ireland.

you do not need to buy a local sim card. you can use your Verizon service over seas. It will cost you!

In fact a local sim will not work unless your phone is unlocked by Verizon

you do need to update your phone to ICS so the GSM antennas are enabled.

its makes 100% sense that the phone wont update out of the USA.

Skype and KIK messenger and wifi is what i use over seas

i've hooked up with nobel dialer app for nobelcom that i used for cheap calls home. This app is going to cost me 1.5c a call back to the US as long as i keep it set on VOIP and use wifi