Generic icons after apps update

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So far Run keeper and Chrome have had their app icons replaced with the DROID guy after they had the latest updates. Also, the touch vibrate for my keyboard keeps turning off by itself, sometimes while I am typing. Anyone else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So far Run keeper and Chrome have had their app icons replaced with the DROID guy after they had the latest updates. Also, the touch vibrate for NY keyboard keeps turning off by itself, sometimes while I am typing. Anyone else?

General question: Stock launcher, or 3rd party launcher? If it's a 3rd party launcher, I could see that happening if the program made some significant changes... then the generic Droid guy icon would have replaced it since it can not find that exact app anymore, and that Droid icon will not actually launch the app.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Nope. All stock other than apps I've added, and none of them change any of that stuff.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Wiped the factory data cache and no change; the wrong icons are still there.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Found that if I smack my palm against the phone (which is in an Otter box) the touch vibration comes back, so it's a loose connection inside.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I discovered that under the app drawer, both had the correct icons still. So, I removed them from my home screen and then drug them back from apps and they are fixed now. Weird.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I discovered that under the app drawer, both had the correct icons still. So, I removed them from my home screen and then drug them back from apps and they are fixed now. Weird.

I see you found the answer to this, but it seems that most of the time that this happens, it is because the App has changed their icon, so the old icon is no longer attached to the APP. All you need to do is drag the app to the delete box, and then go back into APPS, and drag the new icon back to the spot you want it.

I have never noticed this to happen when the update occurs and the icon stays the same, only when there is a new icon to go with the update

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It appears both icons are the same as before.... I dunno.

Appearances can be deceiving... and in this case it doesn't matter if they are exactly the same image... programmers can change the name of the image and that can make it disappear, or change to some default icon image. This is the point I was trying to make back on Post #2... I guess I did not fully explain it.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Appearances can be deceiving... and in this case it doesn't matter if they are exactly the same image... programmers can change the name of the image and that can make it disappear, or change to some default icon image. This is the point I was trying to make back on Post #2... I guess I did not fully explain it.

I gotcha. Seems like more people would be discussing the issue if that were the problem, especially since so many people use and update Chrome.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Chrome did the same thing to me. Not this first time an app has done this either. Not a big deal to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums