No jelly bean upgrade for non verizon customers

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just finished a live chat with motorola, and was told that my Maxx was not eligible for the jelly bean upgrade. They said at this time, it was only verizon models. I hate to hear this. I was really excited about jelly bean. I think it's pretty stupid that motorola wouldn't upgrade all their phones, regardless of the carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not entirely Motorola's fault. Updates also depend largely on the carrier. You should give your wireless provider a call and ask them if the update will be available soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, the RAZRs aren't exactly the phone as the DROID RAZRs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
They can send the update to other carriers just as easily as they can verizon. So why not?
It is not that simple with CDMA. Because of the proprietary nature of the CDMA your carrier has to be involved with the update. I doubt it is motorola who is unwilling to do the update.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't complain to Motorola... complain to YOUR carrier!!! Ultimately it's your carrier that is the problem.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I may be in luck! I decided to email motorola to see if I got the same response from my live chat. I provided them with my phone model, serial number, and carrier. I received this response...

"Regarding your concern, the phone has been identified to get the update. We expect the full Android? 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade to take place for all DROID RAZR & DROID RAZR MAXX owners in Q1 of 2013. Please refer to this link for the latest Jelly Bean update announcement: https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c"

I'm still hopeful!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I may be in luck! I decided to email motorola to see if I got the same response from my live chat. I provided them with my phone model, serial number, and carrier. I received this response...

"Regarding your concern, the phone has been identified to get the update. We expect the full Android? 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade to take place for all DROID RAZR & DROID RAZR MAXX owners in Q1 of 2013. Please refer to this link for the latest Jelly Bean update announcement: https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c"

I'm still hopeful!

There's hope. But that response says "DROID RAZR & DROID RAZR MAXX". Technically, you don't have either of those phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does "Droid" just mean it is a Verizon phone?

Technically yes, as Verizon licenses the DROID name from Lucasfilm.

The DROID RAZR is the Motorola XT912. What's the model number for the Motorola RAZR MAXX for Carolina Wireless?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So it is nothing more than a name?

I guess in this case it might be just the name, since they were just saying the Verizon Droid Razr and Droid Razr Maxx were getting the JB update in Q1 of 2013. They did not say every Razr or Razr Maxx would get it. After all it is up to each carrier to approve any ROM update to it's devices, NOT Motorola.