Favorite contact pics disappeared after Jelly Bean update

kellybecks

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I did the upgrade the other day and my favorite contact pictures that are linked to facebook have now disappeard. When i go into the contacts, i see them there but they aren't showing up on my favorite tool bar.

Does anyone know how to fix it. I have been trying everything and nothing works.

thanks
kelly

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Happened in the December leak version as well. Appears as though it hasn't been fixed. Contact pics are also blurry and pixilated for no reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm just thinking out loud here, but you could try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Contacts Storage, and clearing the data. Then go to Settings/Accounts, and re-sync your Facebook and Google accounts. Hopefully that will clean the Contacts slate, and allow you to repopulate it again with your usual contacts along with their correct photos.

jrzydude

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I had 2 issues with this update related to my favorites contact widget.

!- When selecting a favorite only 8 contacts were given to me when I have over 80 to select from even if I did a search it would not find any other than the 8 listed.

2- All the pictures I had synched through FB that were associated through my favorites widgets disappeared.

I tried clearing out my contact storage and nothing. I tried.resetting my phone back to factory and this cleared issue number 1 but not number 2.

Last edited:

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll also jump in on this...
After taking the update yesterday about 1/3 of my pictures aren't showing in my gallery anymore. They're still on my sd card, just not showing up. Same thing for all the music on my sd card.
???

rjom

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I have two Razor Maxx phones. After the update, all of the FB pictures disappeared from my Favorites list on one of the phones. They did not on the other. I did not do anything differently to update each phone to JB.

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
My favorites lost the pictures too. The contacts were still there just without the pics. I use another 3rd party app and my favorites were completely missing from it. In the stock Moto favorites app I tapped on a particular contact to open it, then I long pressed the blank photo and was able to edit the contact. Added the photo back and it stuck. After adding the pics I checked my 3rd party app and my favorites were there. Prior to trying this method I had tried editing thru the contact app and it didn't fix the favorites. Weird.

msuguy71

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem. Tried a factory reset and that did not work. Tried clearing the contacts cache which also did not work. I have pictures in the people directory, just not in the stock favorite contacts widget. Frustrating.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe the favorites app won't use FB synced pics in JB, don't know why though. It will use Google+ pics. You can also add a contact pic and it will use that as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you join the Facebook account sync with your additional personal info for that contact using the Facebook account and join the additional, you will keep their photo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Doug Walsh

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I resynched my FB contacts, "split" the contact, joined them each back together (my address book/Google contact with the FB contact) and it still hasn't fixed the problem.

It seems like a decision has been made to NOT use FB pics in the contacts list. For some reason.

Janie Hall

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing but it seems to be only the users that have Facebook pictures. Any that I have set a picture on are still there. There has got to be a way to fix this!!!

It doesnt seem to matter if they are joined or not

dallasstarsfan

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I too have this issue. Until it is resolved, I downloaded the free "Contact Picture Sync" app. It will download the Facebook image and set it as the contact picture. It is a little buggy, but did the trick. Good work-around until Motorola fixes the issue.

Pablo Marrero

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey there.

After reading many forums and trying a couple of apps (which didn't work), this is what I did and it worked well...

1) Go to GMail contacts in your computer (not on the phone).
2) Select ALL your contacts and mark them as "Starred in Android".
3) The previous step forces Google to sync the contacts in GMail with the phone (with picture and all). It will take a while depending on the number of contacts that you have, so be patient and leave the phone alone while it is doing the sync.
4) After some 10 or 15 minutes (I have about 300 contacts), all the pics of GMail contacts appeared on my phone
5) Now, go to GMail contacts again and select ALL your contacts and uncheck the "Starred in Android" option. Again, this will take a few minutes while GMail syncs with your phone.
6) Finally, go to your phone and add you favorite people to your favorite or starred contacts. This is optional, but I guess you want your favorite list to have only the people you really like, correct?

That's it. Hope it works in your phone(s) as well.

herpi

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Pablo,
You are a genie!

I had this problem many times and never got to this idea of making a label for ALL the relevant contacts to reload them back into android.
Thanks!
You Humble,

Herpi

Pete Wilder

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Pablo, thanks this was really helpful and did the trick. I'm confused why this was necessary but hey, it worked. Hopefully, won't be necessary to do this anymore.

Thanks again.
Pete