How do I regain root access on my Razr Maxx after JB update?

Travis Toombs

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I have just recently updated my phone to Jelly Bean. I had to use Matt's Utility 1.8 to flash back to stock 6.16.211 to take the update. Prior to anything I did a titanium BU and also un-rooted using Voodoo Rootkeeper. Now that I have JB up and running, I went into Voodoo and I have apparently lost my root backup. Now the main reason I rooted my phone is because of free wireless tethering being as I am one of the few with unlimited Verizon data still left. While on ICS, I had to have root access to remove the permissions on the mobile hotspot. (Used SQL Editor to edit the correct permission). Now that I have JB, I no longer have root access, however the Mobile Hotspot it still working. I'm using the data from it now to write this. I have no idea why this is working. Did Verizon just remove the permissions in general being as most of these phones are on a tiered data plan or did the permissions I removed in ICS just stay removed through the update? Anyone else know why? And I would also like to re-root for general purposes. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks for the help in advance!

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This did not work for me, and nobody seems to be able to tell me why.

First it told me that the daemon wasn't running, so that was started up. I've read this is not normal and could possibly be an ADB problem. I don't know what this means.

Second, I got a bunch of errors saying files already existed, or operations weren't permitted.

Although it said the exploit was complete at the end, my phone was not rooted as confirmed by Root Checker and certain apps like Titanium not working.

It seems dead simple, but troubleshooting this problem is not simple, at least not for me. And I am almost 100% sure I have the correct Moto drivers installed.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Make sure USB debugging are on and you can not have mass storage as the connection type. I had MTS I believe. Then at the point it tells you to setup smart actions, do that step and then press key on keyboard to continue. Changing from mass storage is what I missed.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Make sure USB debugging are on and you can not have mass storage as the connection type. I had MTS I believe. Then at the point it tells you to setup smart actions, do that step and then press key on keyboard to continue. Changing from mass storage is what I missed.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

MrHost has the answer - I remember after the Christmas Eve JB leak, I used the Raxr_Blade Exploit and kept getting the same errors as you. I was still in Mass Storage mode. After noticing the instruction "Make sure your phone IS NOT in Mass Storage Mode", I selected MTP (Media Device) instead and the root worked on the first try! That should be it...

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
You could have just re rooted with a JB exploit if you needed to. Just throwing that out there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums