horrible battery life after update 4.1 .2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Dalvik cache is a system cache that I think requires root in order to clear. If you're not rooted, you could try clearing the cache partition using these instructions. This helps to clear out the cobwebs after an update, and can help improve performance and battery life. Doing a full factory data reset is another option, but it's more of a hassle, because then you have to reinstall all of your apps.

There has been much written about task killers for Android, most of it unfavorable. In general, Android is supposed to manage memory and apps intelligently, and by keeping recent or common apps in memory, it makes their startup much faster. By killing all apps frequently, you may actually end up using more battery, because a lot of those apps will automatically restart, and that takes CPU power. However, it's certainly true that some apps can misbehave and work overtime, or accidentally (or purposefully) wake up the device many times a day to do something, which eats up more battery. So task killers can help to stop one of these rogue process, but you need to know what is going haywire before you decide what to stop, which is always the $100,000 question. Some apps that might cause significant battery drain include Google Currents (if you have it set to automatic refresh), fancy live wallpapers, some antivirus apps (e.g., I found Avast to use significantly more battery than Lookout), and essentially any app that frequently tries to access the web (think social apps).

There are a lot of apps out there that can give you an idea of what exactly is using up juice. I've seen many people recommend GSAM Battery Monitor or Better Battery Stats. These apps can give you a more detailed breakdown of battery use compared with the stock Android settings. In addition, you could also try Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you which apps are waking your device up to do stuff, how often, and for how long. I used it recently to discover that Google Maps has a settings called Location Reporting, that when turned on (which it is by default), causes the app to wake the device up frequently to try to report back to Google location information. Turning that setting off improved my battery life significantly.

I'm not a developer or a power user, but I wouldn't recommend using the "Don't keep activities" setting. As it's clearly labeled, it's a developer option, so it's not really meant for day to day use. Having an activity get killed each time you close it might make your system more unstable.

kgundry1

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, Many thanks. Most, perhaps all, of the juice-consumers that you mentioned do not apply on my RAZR. (As an aside, I have seen references to Google Now and Google Currents, but neither seems to be present on my RAZR). I tried the cache clearing in accordance with "these instructions" but no boot menu ever appeared. All that seemed to happen eventually, after several attempts, was that the wallpaper was reset to the default! I normally have a completely black background. I then ran Advanced Task Killer, to find that dozens of apps were running (more than a screen-worth)! It would appear that "Don't keep activities" doesn't do what it says, so I have turned it off again. I will try one or more of your suggested apps. However, as has been mentioned by lots of others, both in this forum and elsewhere, the update to Android 4.2.1 seems to have resulted in dramatically reduced battery life. I would think it ought to be up to the Android people to address this, and soon, so I hope someone there is reading this. kgundry1

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The typical issue has to do with apps needing updated to support the functions of the new android OS. Sometimes a removal and reinstall can resolve issues too.

I backup my data, majority are cloud storage but not all. Do a FDR then reinstall my apps. I get excellent battery life. Should this be needed probably not but it isn't required. An update from the app typically solves misc issues too.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

kgundry1

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Mr. Host. I must confess I am very reluctant to do a factory reset, remembering the difficulty I had in transferring bookmarks to my RAZR in the first place. However, surely there is a bug in Android 4.2.1. An hour ago, I ran <advanced task killer> and shut down everything, so there were no apps running. Not having done anything in the interim, two or three minutes ago, I turned on the RAZR and ran <advanced task killer> again; there were 15 apps running, none of which I had started, including maps, browser, k-9 email, acalendar. All location services are disabled. What can I do?
kgundry1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As was mentioned above, this is how Android works--it likes to keep free RAM filled. It's not the same as Windows or a Mac, where programs drop out of memory when you close them. The battery drain isn't coming from the fact that processes are open in the background. There's probably one or two particular apps that are misbehaving. Perhaps you could list the apps you have installed. And have you tried Wake Lock Detector yet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Beer2brew

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing the same issue. It runs hot and the battery after being fully changed all night will get below 30% within 4 hour. I never worried about my battery life until the upgrade, now i plug it in all the time. :-(

thepiecesfit

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you turn the Connections optimizer off. It was turned on for me after the update and considerably chopped my battery on my galaxy s3

Settings > More Settings > Mobile networks > Connections optimizer Make sure you uncheck this.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same issue. It runs hot and the battery after being fully changed all night will get below 30% within 4 hour. I never worried about my battery life until the upgrade, now i plug it in all the time. :-(

If you're dropping 70% in 4 hours there's more than a small problem. Follow the advice above to see if there's a rogue app causing the drain (it happens) and if not, I'd have to believe a repair/replace is in order.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

slowfast

May 22, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy Note is ruined by excessive battery drain after updating to new android operating system. I have turned off everything I can find but it still empties the battery in no time. What on earth are Samsung thinking ? They are ruining their good reputation with this. Word gets around very quickly.

Anyone know how to go back to earlier android ( Ice Cream Sandwich ) ??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX