Question on buying a used Razr Maxx

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My wife would like to join the 20th century and get a smart phone and there are several Razr Maxx's on Craigs List in my area. Since I have one I thought this would be a good choice for her so we could share the car dock when needed and I have several extra cases that would fit.

My question is do I need to bring the phone to Verizon to check the ESN or am I good if I can put my SIM card in and everything works?

I know in the CDMA only world the carrier needs to check that the ESN is not black-listed, but is this true with Verizon LTE 4G phones as well?

Thanks!

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
For your own protection, I would meet them at the Verizon and have the ESN checked. If they are not willing to meet you at the Verizon store, it should tell you the story.

No need to put money out for a phone, and then find out later it is stolen, when there is such an easy check for you.

My wife would like to join the 20th century and get a smart phone and there are several Razr Maxx's on Craigs List in my area. Since I have one I thought this would be a good choice for her so we could share the car dock when needed and I have several extra cases that would fit.

My question is do I need to bring the phone to Verizon to check the ESN or am I good if I can put my SIM card in and everything works?

I know in the CDMA only world the carrier needs to check that the ESN is not black-listed, but is this true with Verizon LTE 4G phones as well?

Thanks!

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
For your own protection, I would meet them at the Verizon and have the ESN checked. If they are not willing to meet you at the Verizon store, it should tell you the story.

No need to put money out for a phone, and then find out later it is stolen, when there is such an easy check for you.

That's what I thought, Just wanted to make sure before I did anything.

rickj832

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If you go to swappa.com/esn from your phone you can enter an esn number and it will check for free. Just an option for you if you cant make it to a store to check.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd also recommend you test the phone thoroughly before completing the purchase.

I bought a used Razr Maxx via Craigslist and met the buyer at a Verizon store. I looked over the phone quickly and completed the purchase and then discovered the following morning the phone didn't have the ability to connect to LTE and would occasionally lose all radio signals - even the cell signal. Motorola worked with Verizon to get me a "Certified Like New" replacement but it was still a huge hassle. I'm 100% convinced the owner knew he was selling a defective phone but didn't want to disclose it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz