unfortunately voice commands has stopped on my droid razr maxx

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How do I uninstall "updates"? If I go to Apps, I have to option to Uninstall Google Play Music, but that is not just an update. I would like to be able to play music. Please clarify. Thanks!

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I found it....I went into settings>apps>Play Music> and then saw the option to uninstall updates. And it worked. Thanks!! However I don't see an option to prevent further updates automatically...will that be a problem, or can we assume Google will "fix" this shortly?

Trek_98

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use my phone with the Bluetooth headset in my motorcycle helmet. So voice commands is a big need for me. When voice commands failed the other day, I figured one of the updates screwed it up, and was looking to do a factory reset to fix it. But uninstalling the updates fixed it. Thanks much!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the Play Music issue is universal across Motorola devices as it's posted on multiple sites. I personally find Google Now performs most functions as well or better anyway so I just left Play Music "as is", warts & all.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I assume you mean leaving Play Music "as is" means you aren't using Voice commands? I am pretty surprised that updating one app can do this...this leaves those who rely on
Blue tooth phone calls (States that require it) in a real fix. Anyway, Play Music just updated again so for those trying to fix this, you must be sure to go to Google Play Music under My Apps in Play Store, and in the menu, uncheck auto updates.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I assume you mean leaving Play Music "as is" means you aren't using Voice commands? I am pretty surprised that updating one app can do this...this leaves those who rely on
Blue tooth phone calls (States that require it) in a real fix. Anyway, Play Music just updated again so for those trying to fix this, you must be sure to go to Google Play Music under My Apps in Play Store, and in the menu, uncheck auto updates.

I actually do use voice commands occasionally mainly, for placing calls while driving. I've not used the Motorola app since Google Voice Search/Google Now hit our phones though. Seems to me to have better recognition and do all Moto did with the exception of battery status. Some things, it does better such as, played music on command from multiple sources. Do a little "Googling" for "Google Now voice commands" to get an idea what it's capable of.

rimmytose

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Maxman,

Would you be so kind as to explain how that is done? I typically use a bluetooth headset while driving and every time I press the button on my headset that used to open up Voice Commands I now hear a sound. I can only assume this sound is triggering a failure to open Voice Commands as described above.

If Google Now can replace Voice Commands to make calls and navigate the phone, how do I make it such that when I press the button on my bluetooth headset that it opens up the proper voice commands from google now and not the old version from motorola?

Thanks

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Vi
eza6e3at.jpg
The sound you hear may be the app waiting for you to speak-it will "ding" when ready. You will have to enable bluetooth in the Google Now settings to use it. I've not used the app with bluetooth personally but even so, I'd suggest you try a few commands just through the phone app to get the feel of it before moving on to bluetooth. I don't know but it's possible that the hot word ("Google", by default) detection may work via bluetooth. Please post your results. As to the default app the headset connects with, I really don't know how to answer but it may do so anyway since Moto is dead. Of course, you can always just uninstall the Play Music updates & continue as in the past. What you may try is to disable Voice Commands and see if it defaults to Google Now then - if not, there's an app in Google Play Store called "Bluetooth Launch" that enables you to select the app of choice for use.

EDIT: Play Music just updated again tonight but alas, the problem persist. Makes me wonder if this isn't part of the trend to remove all the "branded" apps possible replacing them with their own?

Last edited:

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, a Google Team member posted a reply to a thread on their forums that the Play Music problem will be looked into.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Vi http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/22/eza6e3at.jpg

EDIT: Play Music just updated again tonight but alas, the problem persist. Makes me wonder if this part of the trend to remove all the "branded" apps possible replacing them with their own?

If it is they need to fix it so I can select the voice app i want to use again.

Posted via Android Central App

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, for the help. I got the Play Music update, but didn't realize that it was connected with the Voice Commands trouble. Glad that I look around the forums every once in a while. Extra glad that there are so many people who help with these little nagging issues. :D

rimmytose

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Vi http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/22/eza6e3at.jpgThe sound you hear may be the app waiting for you to speak-it will "ding" when ready. You will have to enable bluetooth in the Google Now settings to use it. I've not used the app with bluetooth personally but even so, I'd suggest you try a few commands just through the phone app to get the feel of it before moving on to bluetooth. I don't know but it's possible that the hot word ("Google", by default) detection may work via bluetooth. Please post your results. As to the default app the headset connects with, I really don't know how to answer but it may do so anyway since Moto is dead. Of course, you can always just uninstall the Play Music updates & continue as in the past. What you may try is to disable Voice Commands and see if it defaults to Google Now then - if not, there's an app in Google Play Store called "Bluetooth Launch" that enables you to select the app of choice for use.

EDIT: Play Music just updated again tonight but alas, the problem persist. Makes me wonder if this isn't part of the trend to remove all the "branded" apps possible replacing them with their own?

I recently tried this and did not have any luck. I checked the bluetooth headset box and attempted to use my headset to initiate google now commands to no avail. The noise I am hearing is some kind of program failed sound. It appears that pressing the button on the bluetooth headset still points to the voice commands app. The first attempt at pressing the button on my BT headset the voice commands app tries to open and I then receive the error we are all familiar with. All attempts using the BT headset after that bring upon the failure sound. I am sure this is a failure to open sound as I have tried speaking after the sound occurred multiple times with multiple commands and had no response from the device.

At this point the only option that I can see is uninstalling the Google Play updates. Between this and the new Google Hangouts app, they are really screwing things up here.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Again, FWIW. I've spoken to both Verizon and Motorola today in addition to getting some feedback from the Google team via their Help Groups. They are definitely aware of the issue and told me the Moto engineers are working with Google developers for a permanent fix and the suggested work around is what everyone already knows - uninstall the Play Music updates & disable auto updates in the Play Store.

rimmytose

May 21, 2013
Visit site
No problem maxman. I wasn't trying to tell you that you were wrong. I understood that you were making an assumption and giving me an option. I was merely posting to let anyone else know that it did not work for me.

Thanks again!

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if Google intends to address the issue at all. Today marked the 2nd update since they broke Voice Commands & still no fix. Unacceptable!...mark me very disappointed (read, ticked off) at the lack of response.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12