Taking my Verizon Razr to Europe - local SIM card?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

In a couple weeks I'm heading to Austria for a month. I have heard that you can get local prepaid SIM cards cheaply and I was planning on buying one once I got there (for emergencies, contacting the other people I'm traveling with, etc.). What I'm wondering is if it will work in my stock, unrooted Verizon Razr Maxx. Now I think I'm somewhat tech-savvy, but I don't know a whole lot about smartphones and the research I've attempted to conduct on this topic hasn't really answered any questions. I understand I may need to call Verizon and get them to unlock the phone, but even then it might not work?? Basically, it would be great if someone who knows more about this than me can definitively say whether or not my Razr will work in Austria with a local SIM card, and if so, what steps I need to take before I leave the country to ensure that it will.

Thank you

Barry Test

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Jonebk:
I have the same question except I will be going to Costa Rica. After hours of googling I did not find a for sure answer. Below are some of the things I found out. Note some of these items contradictory answers
- call vz global support at 908... And ask for the unlock code. Some say they got others said they had to call back several times to talk with someone who would give them the unlock code. I have not tried this yet, I will post my experience
-do not call the regular tech support line, they will be clueless on what you want.
-geosim has cards with a UK and USnumber. Don't know if it would work. I plan to call them and ask questions.

I may just buy a cheap local phone when I get there. If there is WIFI available an app like groove ip would work. Don't know if you have checked vz rates they are unreal. About $3.00/min. Let's see 3*20 minutes=$60. Really? Please post anything you find out I think ppl would like a definitive answer. Why is so difficult to get a real answer? I read some post where the person arrived in the other country only to find their phone did not dispite being told by vz it would, ain't that special?

THX

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I looked at Verizon's global rates. Absolutely crazy. There's no way I would pay those prices. The only reason I'm even considering having a phone is because prepaid SIMs are so cheap in Austria (1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 2gb data for 10 Euros on one site I found). After a little more searching, I've read some posts and articles that indicate that the latest Android versions might automatically unlock the Razr for international SIM cards. Again, no definitive answers that I could find out there. I may try to give Verizon a call after I get off work today and see if anyone over there knows what the deal is. I'll post back as well if I learn anything.

EDIT:

Aha, just found this gem on Verizon's own website. Now I just need to know if the Razr Maxx is actually 4G global ready...

Global Roaming FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Can I unlock my Global Ready? device while traveling overseas to use local service?

Yes, you can unlock your device to use local service. The steps required to unlock your device vary by the type of device you have:

4G Global Ready devices - 4G Global Ready devices are unlocked by default. You don't need to do anything to unlock it.
3G Global Ready devices - If you have a 3G device, call Customer Service at *611 from your mobile phone or (800) 922-0204. For the unlock request to be processed, you must have an active Verizon Wireless account for at least 60 days in good standing.

Notes:

When using a local SIM card, you?ll be using a different (local) number. We can?t troubleshoot network issues when a local SIM card is being used.
SIM cards come in different sizes. Be sure to find the proper SIM card size before inserting into your device.
Remember, if you use a local SIM card/service, you?re receiving service from the carrier that supplied the SIM card and not from Verizon Wireless. Therefore, you?ll be billed by the carrier supplying your service and not Verizon Wireless.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well in case anyone is interested, I just got a SIM card today at an A1 shop here in Vienna. 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 1gb of data for 10 euros. It was really easy. Never had to call Verizon to unlock the phone or anything like that. The guy just popped the new SIM in, restarted it and I had to enter the PIN they gave me. I also had to create a new APN for A1's network to get data, but after that it was smooth sailing.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the phone is global ready. You can't use a US Sim other than VZW however. My understanding is as described above. Purchase card, remove 4G VZW card, then insert new card. Restart phone. Follow directions from SIM card provider.

No need to call and unlock. You have all the information. Good job guys!

Posted via Android Central App

kandrelly

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I have the same kind of question about a different area. I am going to the Bahamas in October. Can I do the same thing? Can I get data also? Just wondering if this works anywhere. Where could i buy the sim? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as your out of the us. It should work. Ask what return policy is in case it doesn't and do it with them there.

Posted via Android Central App

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting ready to head to Germany for another tour...I assume their SIM cards should work on my Maxx too, huh?

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I visited Long Island a couple of months ago. Picked up a SIM card from a Bahamas Telecom Company office, (BTC). The card worked great, much cheaper than going with Verizon's global plan. I did learn that tethering didn't work, however.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Nah, it was real easy. Just take out your Verizon SIM (I did it stateside right before my plane took off) and find an A1 or Drei or Orange store in Vienna (they're all over). Not sure about the other providers, but my A1 SIM was good for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 2gb of data over the course of a month. Only 10 EUR, and I paid in cash (don't have to worry that they're going to start charging your credit card if you go over your usage or anything). The card only works in Austria though, so don't plan on getting data if you travel. And make sure you keep the SIM's PIN handy as you have to reenter it every time you reboot your phone.

And have fun in Vienna, I loved it. Have you been before? Are you there for a while or just a quick trip?

lblau

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get the mobile hotspot to work when overseas using a local sim? Someway around the verizon block?

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe Verizon is blocking when using a local Sim. In the Bahamas, the carrier, BTC just doesn't provide feathering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

chuckwhite

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
i'm doing a similar thing with my motorola droid maxx in italy for a month. after replacing the verizon card can i use my apps (gmail, gps, etc) with the simm card or do i have to re download, gmail, etc.? should i save the verizon card and put it back in when i return? and should i turn cellular data off in italy since i won't be using verizon towers or can i leave it on?

Last edited:

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i'm doing a similar thing with my motorola droid maxx in italy for a month. after replacing the verizon card can i use my apps (gmail, gps, etc) with the simm card or do i have to re download, gmail, etc.? should i save the verizon card and put it back in when i return? and should i turn cellular data off in italy since i won't be using verizon towers or can i leave it on?

You won't have to d/l anything...you will have to probably have to sign back into your google account, but that's about it. Oh yeah, if you're going to be on a limited data plan, but sure to turn off your automatic downloading of pictures and automatic updates on Google Play. Change it to only download while on wifi.

I'm stationed in Germany...I use a local SIM here and use my Verizon when back in the states.

chuckwhite

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
thanks so much. and assume when you say you use your verizon back in the states you mean you put the verizon card back in when you return to the states and take your european card out. again, thanks much.

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
thanks so much. and assume when you say you use your verizon back in the states you mean you put the verizon card back in when you return to the states and take your european card out. again, thanks much.

That is correct. Being military, I suspend my Verizon account until I return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol