I've never posted before but learned so much from you all, thank you.

I decided to put my OG Razr Maxx to rest & updated to the new Droid Maxx. My 14 days are almost up & I'm positive I'm keeping it (I'm in love). I need to sell my Razr Maxx to help pay the hefty tag of the new Maxx.

I side loaded JB 4.1.2 and never received the ota update. I'm wondering how to wipe my phone without bricking it. I can factory reset the phone without a problem but can't wipe the SD card, is that correct? Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched but didn't find much info that helped. Thanks
    09-03-2013 02:51 PM
    Factory reset will wipe the onboard storage. You can erase the external SD card while it's in the phone by going to Settings/Storage/Erase SD card, or just pop it out and do it on your desktop/laptop. If you're selling the phone, there's no requirement that you do so with the SD--most people have their own SD, or can buy one cheaply.
    09-03-2013 02:56 PM
    Factory reset will wipe the onboard storage. You can erase the external SD card while it's in the phone by going to Settings/Storage/Erase SD card, or just pop it out and do it on your desktop/laptop. If you're selling the phone, there's no requirement that you do so with the SD--most people have their own SD, or can buy one cheaply.
    Ok, thanks.
    I was under the impression that i had to keep the side loaded JB file that the phone is running on, otherwise it would be bricked?
    09-03-2013 03:07 PM
    That file was just the installation file--the important OS data gets installed to the onboard memory. Kind of like downloading an installation file on Windows--once the program is installed, you can delete the installation file or folder.

It wouldn't make sense for Android to allow a crucial OS file on an external SD card, because SD cards can be removed either intentionally or unintentionally (like, for example, if you drop it by accident). So I think you'll be fine.
    newbeginning828 likes this.
    09-03-2013 03:11 PM
    That file was just the installation file--the important OS data gets installed to the onboard memory. Kind of like downloading an installation file on Windows--once the program is installed, you can delete the installation file or folder.

It wouldn't make sense for Android to allow a crucial OS file on an external SD card, because SD cards can be removed either intentionally or unintentionally (like, for example, if you drop it by accident). So I think you'll be fine.
    Makes sense! Thanks!
    09-03-2013 03:16 PM