Razr Maxx is closing apps on its own

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I'm sorry if this has already been discussed! I'm new to forums and pretty much signed up because I've given up trying to figure this out on my own. Around Halloween, my phone started to close apps by itself. I would be in the middle of my texting app (GoSMS) and it would suddenly close and then not open again. It would also not let me open any other app after that one. Then I would leave the phone alone for a half hour or so and apps would work again but not for very long. I powered the phone off and turned it back on and the restart literally took over an hour. After days of this frustrating stuff, I did a factory reset. I downloaded a few important apps and things were going fine. Then it started doing it again the same day. I started using the stock text app and that doesn't seem to help. As of today, I did not receive texts from someone and I didn't know it until I texted them and they said I had ignored them for a few hours. I tried a restart today and it took about 45 minutes. I'm at a loss with what I can do next.

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your response. Yes, I did a factory reset by selecting it under settings. I just did the cache wipe. I'm waiting for my phone to finish booting but it could take anywhere from 15 min to 1 hour so I guess I'll let you know if that helped.

Last edited:

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Just to keep you posted on my phone, it is still stuck rebooting. It's been over an hour so far. When it does this, my only options are choosing one of the boot menu options or restarting the reboot process by holding down the power button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Something's not right, clearly. Press and hold the power button until the phone powers off, then try powering on again.

Posted via Android Central App

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I can't actually power off the phone when it is in the process of restarting. The only thing the power button will do is restart the phone again over and over. I wound up going back into recover mode and doing another factory reset. It's been working since last night. So far I have updated 3 apps (maps, gmail, and google search) and downloaded 1 app (mobile banking). I'm going to try and update 1 app a day. I don't think I've actually fixed my issue but I just need to make it to January lol. Ideally I'd like to keep it working until March when I can upgrade so I don't have to use a iphone for 2 months (ugh).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We must have gotten our phones at the same time--I'm also waiting for March. I've enjoyed my Maxx, but I'm definitely ready for something faster and smoother. Hope yours holds up!

Posted via Android Central App

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I loved mine until it started getting weird on me. I briefly blamed the whole "not getting the latest OS" but I really have no way of proving that. It was just odd that it started happening to me the week the update was released and my phone was put on the list of no updates. Oh well, I hope yours works great until you upgrade!

Uniqueishard

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Just to keep this updated, my phone is still giving me a hard time. It turns out that when I try and turn off the phone it will only go into a reboot and then I'm in a boot loop until I do a factory reset. So far if I only use texts and phone calls it's been ok. Hopefully tonight I'll attempt my first "whatever it's called when you reinstall the software on the phone from the computer" lol.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to keep this updated, my phone is still giving me a hard time. It turns out that when I try and turn off the phone it will only go into a reboot and then I'm in a boot loop until I do a factory reset. So far if I only use texts and phone calls it's been ok. Hopefully tonight I'll attempt my first "whatever it's called when you reinstall the software on the phone from the computer" lol.

My Razr Maxx has started behaving this way in the last couple of weeks. Tap on a icon to open an app and it will flash open and then close. Can't open that app again till after a reboot. And half the time, rebooting gets caught in a boot loop for a long time.

I've wipe the cache partition and done full factory resets. I did a full reset without restoring anything from my google account so it is an absolutely clean start. It will clear up for a few hours but then it starts acting badly again. I think it's dying..... I bought and returned a Moto X (couldn't live with the battery life after being spoiled with my Maxx). Maybe motorola didn't like me returning a phone so they pushed out some bugs to my old one....

Will probably get a new Droid Maxx in the next few days if I can't figure out what is going on with my old phone.