How does anyone still use this phone???

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
(Just need some time to vent)

My Razr Maxx has just hit the two-year mark, and it has gotten to the point of being unbearable. At the one-year point, I started having issues with it slowing down (see earlier posts), and I was able to limp it along by constantly clearning cache, deleting text messages, closing open apps, but now it's gotten too much:
  • Nearly every app gives me a "not responding message".
  • Often can't "wake" the phone by hitting the power button. It starts to wake (keys light up) but screen doesn't appear for up to 30 seconds.
  • Screen changes lag the haptic feedback by at least 5-10 seconds.
  • Maps provides me directions after I had already made turns, screen usually locked about a 1/2 mile back up the road.
  • Just this morning, it took me about 30 seconds to make a phone call. Hit the contact button and it started to dial but screen went unresponsive. Call connected after about 30 seconds but screen wouldn't come back until the call was over.
  • Frequently miss calls because the phone is slow to respond to the answer swipe.
  • Clean Master (which I've been using lately) is frequently letting me know that I'm at the 90% memory consumption point and recommends I let it close some apps to free memory.

Not sure what to do... I've been removing apps to the point where I have only a few left; any more I remove will probably cause me to lose necessary functionality. From what I've read FDR is not necessarily the answer either.

So how is anyone continuing to use this phone? Not sure what happened, or who to blame; is it Google for the OS updates, app developers for over-complicating and bloating the apps, Verizon for programming some sort of obsolescence in to the phone? For a phone with the specs it has, I would have expected it to "last" longer.

Thanks, I feel better... :)

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in exactly the same boat. I've got about 2 months left until my upgrade, so I'm just trying to limp across the finish line. I've been getting by with cache wipes every day or so, but the phone does seem to be getting worse. I have recently experienced the Maps lag problem where it locks up and I'm forced to do a cache wipe while trying to drive at the same time (i usually perform this maneuver while sitting at t red light).

I have tried calling Verizon and complaining, but they have been useless. Motorola is useless too. I did a factory reset a few months ago, and that seemed to make things better, but after a couple of weeks, it was back to the same slow phone. A co-worker of mine has the same phone and the same problems.

I am looking at getting either a Samsung S5 or the LG G3 when my contract is up. I think that's the only real solution.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much the same here and trying all kinds of tricks that only temporarily slightly improve the phone use. My contract was up a couple of months ago. I really like the quality and power of the phone for call reception and quality. Been eyeing the Droid Maxx but I can't help but feel it's too far into it's life cycle to get. Been waiting and hoping for Motorola to announce it's replacement, but the last week or so have me wondering if I have time out of my busy day to waste so often waiting for my phone to response.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I too would love to jump to a new phone but Verizon has me by the you-know-whats: I've got a very lucrative unlimited data plan that I'm unwilling to give up for an upgrade. So I need to contemplate full retail price or buying used. I was considering trying that "other" OS for a while, but the out-of-pocket expense would be significant.

Definitely seems like this is a widespread issue related to the hardware/software combinations that has evolved over time...

Funny thing is, I bought my wife a used Bionic at about the same time I bought the MAXX. Granted, she "uses" the phone a bit less, but it runs like a dream compared to mine.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
(Just need some time to vent)

My Razr Maxx has just hit the two-year mark, and it has gotten to the point of being unbearable. At the one-year point, I started having issues with it slowing down (see earlier posts), and I was able to limp it along by constantly clearning cache, deleting text messages, closing open apps, but now it's gotten too much:
  • Nearly every app gives me a "not responding message".
  • Often can't "wake" the phone by hitting the power button. It starts to wake (keys light up) but screen doesn't appear for up to 30 seconds.
  • Screen changes lag the haptic feedback by at least 5-10 seconds.
  • Maps provides me directions after I had already made turns, screen usually locked about a 1/2 mile back up the road.
  • Just this morning, it took me about 30 seconds to make a phone call. Hit the contact button and it started to dial but screen went unresponsive. Call connected after about 30 seconds but screen wouldn't come back until the call was over.
  • Frequently miss calls because the phone is slow to respond to the answer swipe.
  • Clean Master (which I've been using lately) is frequently letting me know that I'm at the 90% memory consumption point and recommends I let it close some apps to free memory.

Not sure what to do... I've been removing apps to the point where I have only a few left; any more I remove will probably cause me to lose necessary functionality. From what I've read FDR is not necessarily the answer either.

So how is anyone continuing to use this phone? Not sure what happened, or who to blame; is it Google for the OS updates, app developers for over-complicating and bloating the apps, Verizon for programming some sort of obsolescence in to the phone? For a phone with the specs it has, I would have expected it to "last" longer.

Thanks, I feel better... :)

Wow.... you've described my Razr Maxx to the letter. It's gotten to the point, where it's just about unusable. I tried the factor reset a couple times and have also cleaned the cache partition. That helps for a few hours, then it back in the toilet. I try the factory reset, but it continues to automatically reinstall my installed apps. I wanted to reset and then one-by-one reinstall my apps, but Google Play installs them automatically. Wish I could figure out how to disable that.

woody nh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I each have a MAXX and we have not experienced any of these issues in 2 1/2 years. Both phones are used a lot and both run like new. So I am surprised by this thread.

I do wish that the MAXX had a better camera and am looking at this year's crop of phones. Some are just too big for easy pocket carry.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
All, its been fun. Switched away from the maxx this week in favor of a new, used phone to keep my unlimited data. So far, couldn't be happier!

Sent from my mobile device.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Do a full factory reset... This really helped mine.

Still, compared to a snapdragon processor, there is no comparison.

A factory reset should help you get through the next couple of months... Also try a good task killer to free up ram every few hours.

R

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Do a full factory reset... This really helped mine.

Still, compared to a snapdragon processor, there is no comparison.

A factory reset should help you get through the next couple of months... Also try a good task killer to free up ram every few hours.

R

I down a full reset several times. It works well for a few days and that's it. How can I disable the automatic download/install from the Play Store that occurs after each reset? I want to perform the full reset and install apps manually, not have them automatically downloaded and installed from the store.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
When I did the reset it asked me if I wanted to restore the account. It sounds like you should say yes, but this is what triggers the stupid download of all the apps.

Say no, sign in with your google acct and then download what you want. Note... This is with verizon..,your mileage may vary.

Also, try reducing the number if days email stays on the phone and limit the widgets.

R

chadwick108

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Bloat ware has everything to do with it. This phone was one of the best. I highly recommend rooting phone and installing custom ROM. I honestly have to say my galaxy s4 battery life can not touch the razr maxx. I still use my RAZR maxx almost daily as a wireless IP camera.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've got a couple months until i'm due for my upgrade, but I just spent an hour on the phone with the dude at the call center and got Verizon to give me an early upgrade for a Samsung S5...

I think that's the only solution

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae