Turn Off GPS w/o Google Play Errors

TheHarbinger

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally flashed my XT912 to take it from JellyBean to KitKat 4.4.4. So far I'm impressed...with a couple of exceptions. I'm hoping you all can help me figure this out.

On JB, I had a widget on my home screen that allowed me to turn off WiFi and GPS, stop background updating, and allow auto display brightness changes. I found the gadget under KK 4.4.4 and copied it to my home screen. Now when I click the GPS icon, it "half" turns off and I get a message saying something like,

"In a previous version of Android, you turned off the ability for Google apps to access your location. Turn it back on for all Google apps?"

The only choices are "Yes" and "Not now." Additionally, the message CONSTANTLY pops up. What's the best way to deal with disabling the message and allowing me to completely turn off the GPS like I used to?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings/Connections/Location. Either turn it off or set things up the way you want them.

Also, look for the latest version of the widget - things it accesses may have changed between JB and KK.

TheHarbinger

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick response. Going to settings and turning off GPS works...until you exit settings and get the Google apps message again.

There doesn't seem to be a newer version of the built-in widget. I tried loading a couple of third-party widgets and trying them without any change in behavior.

bubbanbrenda

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Try going into APP manager, unchecking the notifications box on Google play app(or which ever app is sending it, might be more than one, G+ wants everything on it's probably that one), it will warn you that you might miss important updates and messages but I did it anyway, stopped the notifications but did not effect the way Google play worked. You will need to manually go into Google play to check for updates, it will not notify you of anything needing updates.

TheHarbinger

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, bubbanbrenda, that allows disabling of the notifications. However, I'm guessing there are really two issues. I still am unable to completely turn off the GPS. The icon does not go completely gray when I try to disable it--it goes half white/half gray.