Leaked pics of the Moto Droid HD!

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
If you wait til the end of the year there will be three more phones to wait 2 more months for. It's never ending. How much do you need?

i gotcha... i'm pretty resolved to have a new phone before the end of the year, or Q1 at the latest, regardless of what's on the horizon. i was basically down to the Prime or Bionic. now, the HD has leapfrogged the Bionic, and depending on specs, may be tied with the Prime.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
It is pretty sad / frustrating, the phone I have been waiting on for 8 months isn't even out yet, and its successor is already being leaked and tested by verizon.
What makes it worse, I was just picking on my workers yesterday (1 with Thunderbolt, and 1 with the Charge) about how their replacement phones were coming out already (GSII and Vigor)... :-X

Last edited:

HeadAcheJoe

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely excited to see a 4G LTE phone this thin slated for the near future.

The most exciting part? This may indicate a reasonably sized slider (Droid 4(G)??) is now a feasible project!

paulnewman

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Looks nice but I'm probably going to stick with the Bionic.

A.) I'm tired of waiting
B.) Who knows when this will be released
C.) Same internals as the Bionic
D.) 4.5 is too big for me, I already have a tablet.

Completely agree with you, specially about your point D. When I was in ATT I thought about buying an Infuse4G but it is juts way too big!

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
They are the same size but the HD uses all of it's size to get you the 4.5 inches. Look at the pics - they are nearly the same.

However based on Motorola and Verizon history this won't be out until next May.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
They are the same size but the HD uses all of it's size to get you the 4.5 inches. Look at the pics - they are nearly the same.

However based on Motorola and Verizon history this won't be out until next May.

yeah, the glass definitely covers the entire face of the device. but, the question remains whether the actual display of content under the glass is 4.3 or 4.5. if the menu buttons are permanent capacitive buttons (i.e., you can't turn them off), then the actual amount of the glass that will be used to display content may only be 4.3. however, if the menu buttons are part of the software (a la ICS), and you can hide them, then the amount of the actual display may measure 4.5.

right now, it's too hard to tell. but, when i zoom in on the Engadget pics, it looks to me like the menu buttons may be part of the software, and not capacitive buttons.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
good news, and bad. someone over at DF just posted a hint about the screen and menu buttons, saying that he wasn't merely looking at pics - hint, hint. he says the buttons are permanent capacitive, so the screen is 4.3". also (and this is kind of a bummer), the screen is qHD, and not the 1280 x 720 HD type.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
yeah, the glass definitely covers the entire face of the device. but, the question remains whether the actual display of content under the glass is 4.3 or 4.5. if the menu buttons are permanent capacitive buttons (i.e., you can't turn them off), then the actual amount of the glass that will be used to display content may only be 4.3. however, if the menu buttons are part of the software (a la ICS), and you can hide them, then the amount of the actual display may measure 4.5.

right now, it's too hard to tell. but, when i zoom in on the Engadget pics, it looks to me like the menu buttons may be part of the software, and not capacitive buttons.

I have looked over all the pictures and I am convinced that the DHD screen is the same as the Bionic and the buttons are permanent capacitive. Keep in mind - Motorola does 16:9 screen and if the buttons on the DHD were software the DHD screen would be a very bizarre aspect ratio, also that if they were just software they would either show clearly or not be visible.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
good news, and bad. someone over at DF just posted a hint about the screen and menu buttons, saying that he wasn't merely looking at pics - hint, hint. he says the buttons are permanent capacitive, so the screen is 4.3". also (and this is kind of a bummer), the screen is qHD, and not the 1280 x 720 HD type.

This gets more confusing by the day. So if this thing isn't 720 HD, then why is it called HD? and if it's Not 4.5" ICS (which I can clearly see the capacitive buttons) then the next question to me, is it even LTE?? I assume it is but nothing is sure at this point. Just confirms for me that I am buying the Bionic on Pre-Order. If something that much better comes out, I will pick it up at retail.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Come on now...seriously?

Husker you better tell me different or I will drive to Motorola HQ's and strangle Sanjay with his tie.

This is riduculous if true. So I don't blow up my neighborhood I'm going to wait for official word on this. You can't name the Droid HD and pack a qHD in it. Thats nonsense plain and simple...

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Come on now...seriously?

Husker you better tell me different or I will drive to Motorola HQ's and strangle Sanjay with his tie.

This is riduculous if true. So I don't blow up my neighborhood I'm going to wait for official word on this. You can't name the Droid HD and pack a qHD in it. Thats nonsense plain and simple...

I saw the post over on DF and I found the guy to be believable about having the phone - but it also wouldn't surprise me if VZW wanted to try to get some bad info out there to downplay the Droid HD so they can actually sell some Bionics.

I agree that I find it very hard to believe that a phone called Droid HD wouldn't meet minimum specs for HD(AKA 720p).

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Come on now...seriously?

CK, you've known me long enuf to know that I just regurgitate, and have no independent knowledge of my own... I wish it weren't true, and I sincerely hope it isn't. This would basically mean it is just a thinner Bionic, without even incremental upgrades.

When you've got the tie nice and tight, knee Sanjay in the groin for me.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Its clear in the pics that this thing has capacitive hardware buttons.

If the HD is similarly speced to the bionic, then why even bother releasing it? Makes no sense.

harleyb16

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
That's a load. there's two possibilities.
it IS a 4.5 lte device
its a 4.3 3g device

there's no way in hell they would release another droid device with identical specs to a bionic, a phone that's still not out.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
over at HoFo, a guy named Susurro posted this, and FAUguy said he's someone that should be taken seriously, cuz he knows what he's talking about, "hint, hint":

It does have LTE, it is not a next gen LTE chip though (those aren't available in a phone until 2H12). Just saw that post by bmx and he is mistaken. The second gen LTE chipsets are a ways off. They will allow some very nice phones, but not this year.

It is not a brother to Photon (different chipsets entirely). Can't believe their source knew the name Spyder but thought Photon and HD were related.

Dinara is higher end? Well it will come out months later so that is a easy assumption.
And that article is wrong, Dinara is 100% not being tested on Verizon. It is an AT&T phone (and isn't actually being tested anywhere right now).

It is a flagship device, actually the Flagship device when it releases (don't ask, I won't say release dates).

so, Moto appears to be targeting the HD as THE Flagship device for vzw. from what i'm gathering from others posting around in different threads and forums, while the screen isn't true 1280x720 hd, it is something better than pentile qHD - maybe "qHD+"???

i have already run the gamut of emotions on this device - excited, disappointed, confused, etc. but, it looks like it will be dual core LTE, an improved screen, and much thinner. i guess i'm throwing it back into the mix of top phones to watch, and we'll see how it plays out!

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
CK, you've known me long enuf to know that I just regurgitate, and have no independent knowledge of my own... I wish it weren't true, and I sincerely hope it isn't. This would basically mean it is just a thinner Bionic, without even incremental upgrades.

When you've got the tie nice and tight, knee Sanjay in the groin for me.

If Sussuro (whatever his name is) at HoFo is legit, Fauguy seems to be hinting he could be, then the HD is flagship and a nice step up from the Bionic/Photon/Atrix. It is in fact LTE and not 2nd Gen chip.

I'm sure you are aware of the D3's GPS issue, let this be a warning to those that are buying the Bionic.

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: huskerkate