Leaked pics of the Moto Droid HD!

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
4.5 inches= too big
LTE= we don't know and hopefully 2nd gen.
Dual Core= engadget said it has a 4430 needs 4460 by the time it comes out
Epic thin= yay!
Full HD screen= possibly qHD but probably HD

how can you say 4.5" is too big?? did you look at the pics of the HD side by side with the Bionic? they have the same physical dimensions, except that the HD is only about 2/3 as thick... this is what happens, as explained in the Nexus Prime thread, when you get rid of the physical menu buttons and incorporate them into the screen - you keep the same physical dimensions, but get more screen.

edit: here's KittenMittens' post from the Prime thread calculating the screen sizes and device dimensions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/rumored-devices/106291-nexus-prime-44.html#post1158287

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I need to know in the next week when this will come out.... if it's 6 month away I'm getting the Bionic... if it's 3 months I need to think about it. It's nice looking and thin...

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It was pointed out to me that HTC uses the Droid name also. I don't know if Verizon has the lock on Droid anymore.

For that matter, Samsung uses the "DROID" name too.....the comments haven't been about DROID being specific to Motorola, but rather to VZW as a carrier. VZW has had a variety of phones from various manufacturers (Moto, HTC & Samsung) that have been branded as DROID phones:

MOTO - DROID, DROID2, DROID3, DROID X, DROID X2, DROID Bionic
HTC - DROID Eris, DROID Incredible, DROID Incredible 2
Samsung - DROID Charge.

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a complete listing somewhere if anyone cares to find/provide a link to it...... yeah, I'm lazy!! :p

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It was pointed out to me that HTC uses the Droid name also. I don't know if Verizon has the lock on Droid anymore.

Verizon is the exclusive licensee for the use of "Droid" as it pertains to telecommunication devices. That is why it is used for phones released by Verizon, regardless of the manufacturer - Motorola, HTC, etc.

Maybe I am missing something but if this phone is in testing by Verizon doesn't that dictate an imminent release - I thought that Verizon testing was the final phase and doesn't last more than a month or so, if there are no big problems. I know we still need to see FCC approval, although wouldn't it need FCC approval for it to be in testing by Verizon?

Also, I was under the impression, from things I read a long time ago, that Motorola had another big Verizon phone for Q4 that the info wasn't really out there for yet.(basicly, when we first learned about Targa it was said that it was for Q3 and there hadn't been any Q4 phones leaked yet)

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site

HTC and Motorola do not own the DROID branding. Lucus Films license the trademark to Verizon and so Verizon chooses which phones will get the DROID brand

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I can say 4.5 is too big for ME not you and it was slightly taller and you don't know about my scenerio becuase 1) I'm only 13 2) I'm used to my epic's 4in. Screen 3) I would probably take me a while to get used to it.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is the exclusive licensee for the use of "Droid" as it pertains to telecommunication devices. That is why it is used for phones released by Verizon, regardless of the manufacturer - Motorola, HTC, etc.

Maybe I am missing something but if this phone is in testing by Verizon doesn't that dictate an imminent release - I thought that Verizon testing was the final phase and doesn't last more than a month or so, if there are no big problems. I know we still need to see FCC approval, although wouldn't it need FCC approval for it to be in testing by Verizon?

Also, I was under the impression, from things I read a long time ago, that Motorola had another big Verizon phone for Q4 that the info wasn't really out there for yet.(basicly, when we first learned about Targa it was said that it was for Q3 and there hadn't been any Q4 phones leaked yet)

i just posted this in another thread. i guess it's technically cross-posting, but i thought it was apropos:

in the quarterly earnings report/conf call on 7/28/11, Jha said that Moto would have at least one other LTE smartphone, besides the Bionic, released before the end of the year. right now, VZW is the only carrier with LTE. at&t is working on it, but i doubt such a phone would be released when the network isn't ready for it. to me, that says there is another LTE Moto phone coming to VZW, and in the not too distant future.

as for "imminent" release, i don't know about that. i think there are different phases of testing. and, quite frankly, i don't see it coming out in direct competition to the Bionic. 3 months after the Bionic maybe, but not a few weeks. several people are saying it's a holiday release phone...

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I can say 4.5 is too big for ME not you and it was slightly taller and you don't know about my scenerio becuase 1) I'm only 13 2) I'm used to my epic's 4in. Screen 3) I would probably take me a while to get used to it.

my bad! i was working from the (apparently) faulty assumption that the Bionic dimensions were acceptable to you. if you're looking for something closer to a 4" screen, then this one would probably seem too big (as would the Bionic).

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
i just posted this in another thread. i guess it's technically cross-posting, but i thought it was apropos:

in the quarterly earnings report/conf call on 7/28/11, Jha said that Moto would have at least one other LTE smartphone, besides the Bionic, released before the end of the year. right now, VZW is the only carrier with LTE. at&t is working on it, but i doubt such a phone would be released when the network isn't ready for it. to me, that says there is another LTE Moto phone coming to VZW, and in the not too distant future.

as for "imminent" release, i don't know about that. i think there are different phases of testing. and, quite frankly, i don't see it coming out in direct competition to the Bionic. 3 months after the Bionic maybe, but not a few weeks. several people are saying it's a holiday release phone...

Thanks for that, I recall Sanjay's statement but I hadn't realized how strongly it pointed to another phone ON VZW.

I think "imminently" was a poor choice of words. I was really trying to point out that Q4, as in Nov - Dec. seems plausible given that testing by Verizon is usually done after OEM testing and that a Q1 or Q2 phone wouldn't be in Verizon testers hands now.

Anyway, I am probably getting the Bionic, but I will see if we learn anymore about this phone by September. If it is the same or better internals and function as the Bionic but with a bigger and better screen and slim form factor, I can keep using my Droid 1 a few more months.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I think "imminently" was a poor choice of words. I was really trying to point out that Q4, as in Nov - Dec. seems plausible given that testing by Verizon is usually done after OEM testing and that a Q1 or Q2 phone wouldn't be in Verizon testers hands now.

Anyway, I am probably getting the Bionic, but I will see if we learn anymore about this phone by September. If it is the same or better internals and function as the Bionic but with a bigger and better screen and slim form factor, I can keep using my Droid 1 a few more months.

+1 on both points!

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I do find it interesting that a forum was created for this so quickly, while the Vigor and Prime don't have their own forums yet.

Maybe this thing is closer than we think.

drbugsmn

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I do find it interesting that a forum was created for this so quickly, while the Vigor and Prime don't have their own forums yet.

Maybe this thing is closer than we think.

I would hope this is so, but I wonder if has more to do with the fact that we have seen pictures of Bionic (the old then the new one) and now the Droid HD. I'm not aware of any pix of Vigor or Nexus Prime.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If it's a few months away and we get some more information fine. But what if the Bionic comes out and we still don't have any more info on the HD - then you have to go Bionic or you may be waiting forever.

As far as the Vigor or Nexus those are speculation and I won't buy HTC for any reason.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
If it's a few months away and we get some more information fine. But what if the Bionic comes out and we still don't have any more info on the HD - then you have to go Bionic or you may be waiting forever.

As far as the Vigor or Nexus those are speculation and I won't buy HTC for any reason.

i wouldn't say the Nexus is speculation. we know that Google will release another Nexus, and history tells us it will be in conjunction with release of ICS. yes, timeframe and specs are speculation. but, ICS looks to be coming before the end of the year. so, it would certainly stand to reason that so is the Prime.

i look at it differently. i can always get a Bionic (and if i wait until end of the year, i'll probably get a pretty smokin deal on one). but, if i get the Bionic at release, and the D-HD or Prime do come out before the end of the year, i'm pretty much up you-know-what creek without a paddle.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't look at it that way - the Bionic is a monster. There will always be better but the Bionic should hold you over for a very long time.

And what if those phones DONT come out by the end of the year? Then your even more up the creek.

i wouldn't say the Nexus is speculation. we know that Google will release another Nexus, and history tells us it will be in conjunction with release of ICS. yes, timeframe and specs are speculation. but, ICS looks to be coming before the end of the year. so, it would certainly stand to reason that so is the Prime.

i look at it differently. i can always get a Bionic (and if i wait until end of the year, i'll probably get a pretty smokin deal on one). but, if i get the Bionic at release, and the D-HD or Prime do come out before the end of the year, i'm pretty much up you-know-what creek without a paddle.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
if they don't come out by the end of the year, THEN i can buy the Bionic. maybe i'm not following you, but i'm not quite sure why i would be more up the creek if i wait until the end of the year before making any purchase...??

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If you wait til the end of the year there will be three more phones to wait 2 more months for. It's never ending. How much do you need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome