Droid Life just posted this article after reaching out to "sources" : DROID HD May be Headed to Verizon as the Motorola “Spyder” - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The mysterious DROID HD took the tech world by storm on Monday when it appeared in a variety of photos over at Engadget. Up until that point, we had only seen the name attached to some Flickr photos and on an Asian site with photos of a follow-up Atrix - we definitely had no other details of it.
    After the pics went live though, we reached out to our sources to see what we could dig up, since there were some questions as to whether or not this was the rumored Motorola Dinara. Well first off, we have been told that this phone is not the Dinara, but is instead the Motorola Spyder (codename of course). It is more of a brother to the Photon 4G than anything, has a “different” screen and smaller MP camera than the Dinara, and should be headed to Verizon – something we could have all guessed if the “DROID” name attached to it holds up.

As for the Dinara, we know that many people are under the impression that it is headed to AT&T, but our sources assure us that the device is at this time being tested on Verizon LTE. Could it end up on AT&T only as one of their first LTE devices? Most definitely. Especially with this Spyder device looking like Verizon’s next big Moto offering. Our sources also mentioned that the Dinara is the higher-end device of the two, but were not told exactly why.

Keep it in Rumorville for now. Add it to the list of codenames to keep an eye out for.

i don't really like the part about the Dinara being the "higher-end" of the two (probably because the Dinara is rumored to be a true HD screen, but people in other forums have been saying that the DHD will just have the qHD screen despite its HD moniker), but i do like the fact that the Dinara may have a chance at vzw. however, the guys over at HoFo (wnrussel, winston25, and kbman) are all pretty adamant that the Dinara is going to at&t. also, even if the Dinara came to vzw, it wouldn't be released until well into '12, i'm guessing - and i can't hold out that long for a phone. i guess we'll see how this plays out...
    08-19-2011 02:26 PM
    If this is comparable to the photon, it doesn't seem as appetite whetting as it did yesterday or the day before. Still, why bother releasing this and the bionic?

Hopefully that "different" screen is non-pentile or even samoled hd.
    08-19-2011 02:37 PM
    yeah, my excitement has been tempered since yesterday - if for nothing else than the codename Spyder. most all of Moto's true flagship devices are codenamed after mountains. also, it still boggles my mind that they would name the device Droid HD, and not have an HD screen.
    08-19-2011 02:49 PM
    And the confusion continues.. It's almost like this is going to be a lower end device, I am still wondering if it will be LTE. (nevermind, just saw BMX's post)

So apparently it is a next Gen LTE radio. But I am still confused...
    08-19-2011 04:18 PM
    BMX/Panda posted earlier today, giving every indication that it would be LTE. but, who knows...
    08-19-2011 04:21 PM
    here's a post by Susurro over at HoFo (who appears to have some inside info):

It does have LTE, it is not a next gen LTE chip though (those aren't available in a phone until 2H12). Just saw that post by bmx and he is mistaken. The second gen LTE chipsets are a ways off. They will allow some very nice phones, but not this year.

It is not a brother to Photon (different chipsets entirely). Can't believe their source knew the name Spyder but thought Photon and HD were related.

Dinara is higher end? Well it will come out months later so that is a easy assumption.

It is a flagship device, actually the Flagship device when it releases (don't ask, I won't say release dates).

i still don't know what to make of all this. but, i'm willing to wait and see - what else have i got to do, huh?!
    08-19-2011 05:42 PM
    This is getting crazy but in a good way. So many upcoming phones to choose from. Seems a little weird to me if Motorola releases this phone so close to the release of the Bionic. If it comes sometime in November along with the Prime and Vigor it's gonna be a hell of a good time to be an Android fan.
    09-26-2011 01:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD