Locked bootloader vs Rooting?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a more general question than just pertaining to the announced RAZR, but it applies here...

Is there a difference between a "Locked Bootloader" (which the RAZR will apparently have), and being able to "root" the device's existing ROM?

For example, I don't necessarily want to change to a custom ROM, but I do want to be able to run root-based applications (like Ti Backup).

Is there a difference in the definition of these terms? Will a "locked bootloader" prevent me from eventually rooting the phone so I can run those apps (and maybe remove bloat)?

Thanks,
AJ

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So since all I'm really interested in is rooting, the locked bootloader is not as big a deal as I thought? Hmmm. I just want to be able to run TI Backup and Wireless Tether.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
We will be able to root. We will be able to use apps that require superuser permissions (Ti Backup, Root Explorer, Etc). We will be able to remove bloat. We will even be able to load custom ROMs. We won't be able to change kernels or radios until someone cracks the bootloader...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
A tether app would fall under the apps that require superuser. The problem is, like cmorty72 brought up, Verizon already knows what most of those apps are and have blocked them from the market.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately, I already have a wireless tether program that isn't from the market. The apk is stored on my comp and phone so I should be all set.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams