Deciding between the razr and nexus

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Been trying to decide bwtween the two, the original samsung galaxy tab really soured me to samsung products tho, but after seeing the specs are pretty much the same between the 2 phones, I think I will be going with the Razr.. love the moto phones for their build quality and nice designs...I already have the Bionic, so will be giving that to my wife and keeping the razr..she wont mind..she currently has the X

Reactions: cordoni

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
it was sluggish, would lock up all the time, every couple of weeks it would freeze up so bad that I could not even reboot it, it would freeze up at the samsung logo, since the battery could not be removed, I would have to wait untill the battery ran all the way down, then charge it and then get it working. it was horrible....it needed different software but never got an upgrade. (the verizon version)

What was bad about the galaxy tab?

I recommend nexus. Think of it as made by google instead of samsung.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The iphone and ipod and ipad all have a two button reset command... This will be no different. It'll be the first thing I read up on when I get the phone!

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The non-removable battery is a non-issue for me. The bigger issue is the camera.

Is the no-lag shutter on the GN a software or hardware thing?

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung radios tend to be the weakest of the major brands. My old fascinate proved this in spades, as does my co-workers charge.

Sent from my CM7 Thunderbolt, AOSP.

mripirate

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
is it an issue to get the nexus which was "made for" ice cream sandwich, or get the razr which can be upgraded to ice cream sandwich in 2012??

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm torn between both the Razr and the G-Nex.
What kills me about all Nexus devices (G-Nex included), is the lack of expandable memory!! If the G-Nex had that ability, it would be a no brainer.
As for the Razr... everything about this phone I like (despite the fact of a non removable battery). I just hope that the camera lag that is problematic with the Bionic and other Moto Droids is not an issue with this device.
I guess I'll have to get them side by side and do a personal comparison. And even though the G-Nex is sporting ICS, this is not a concern for me (unlike a majority of the individuals out there). Especially when you know that developers will most likely find a way around the locked bootloader, and already have roms out sporting ICS attributes as soon as the Razr is in the wild.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
If the Razr had a removable battery and on screen buttons via Motorola UI in preparation of ICS there would be no question and I'd get the Razr. But I'm going to stick with the GN, hope I don't regret it.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This a.m., I'm leaning toward the Razr. Not being able to pull battery had me concerned, but now ok with button resets when it freezes. And I wish it had ICS, but I can wait. The build quality will be #1. And I, too, have a Galaxy Tab, and while it looks pretty, the radio is awful. To the point where if it's not in the same room as the wifi box, it can't get a signal.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This a.m., I'm leaning toward the Razr. Not being able to pull battery had me concerned, but now ok with button resets when it freezes. And I wish it had ICS, but I can wait. The build quality will be #1. And I, too, have a Galaxy Tab, and while it looks pretty, the radio is awful. To the point where if it's not in the same room as the wifi box, it can't get a signal.

Yeah, these things concern me a lot too. I think my game plan is now going to be get the nexus, and if I don't like it I'm going to wait for the Razr 2 (whatever they design for ICS for on screen buttons) and just buy it off contract and use the GN as a back up.

Unless reviews come out saying the Razr's battery life is amazing (unlikely with 4g and that screen) then I'll get it on release...

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going with the RAZR. Motorola builds good quality stuff...I hate all the plastic Samsung uses. As pointed out Samsung has weak radios also. I think 4.65" is too big for a phone screen.

The lack of SD slot isn't a HUGE deal (I never take the SD card out anyways), and the lack of the removable battery on the RAZR isn't a big deal either.

The BIGGEST selling point of the RAZR over the GN to me is the lapdock, car dock, and desktop dock that Motorola makes. All these things are INCREDIBLY useful and well built. The cardocks they make are a must have for me. And the lapdock 500...that thing is calling my name. I'm on the road constantly, and the lapdock is an incredibly useful accessory.

I'm all in for a RAZR, Lapdock500, car dock and two desktop docks. Not looking forward to getting the bill, but it will all be worth it.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Think of it as made by google instead of samsung.

I hear this a lot. Not picking on you Blitz, but follow my logic...

It was designed by Samsung engineers and built in a Samsung factory by Samsung workers using Samsung parts. They used an OMAP instead of a Hummingbird, and that makes it not a Samsung? Not buying it. That's like saying, "Think of it as Progressiveism instead of Communism." Changing the name doesn't change product, it just changes the name...

desoulja2185

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that I have made my decision and I'm going with the RAZR. Though the design is controversial to some, I personally love it. I've never had a Samsung smart phone and don't see myself getting one. The only Samsung phone I can recall having was a Samsung SGH X820 and I purchased it because it was 6.8mm thick and the design was very similar to the Droid RAZR.I actually still have the phone in a drawer somewhere lol. A lot of people don't like MotoBlur, it doesn't really bother me. The locked bootloader, That doesn't bother me either because I've rooted before, but it's not something that I purposely go purchase the phone for. The only thing that is "hindering" me from getting this device is because I know that a Droid RAZR 2 is coming soon thereafter.. That's the only thing, but I think I'm going to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon.

Here's a picture of that Samsung Phone:
free201041__20101006_091209_2971203_.jpg

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going with the RAZR. Motorola builds good quality stuff...I hate all the plastic Samsung uses. As pointed out Samsung has weak radios also. I think 4.65" is too big for a phone screen.

The lack of SD slot isn't a HUGE deal (I never take the SD card out anyways), and the lack of the removable battery on the RAZR isn't a big deal either.

The BIGGEST selling point of the RAZR over the GN to me is the lapdock, car dock, and desktop dock that Motorola makes. All these things are INCREDIBLY useful and well built. The cardocks they make are a must have for me. And the lapdock 500...that thing is calling my name. I'm on the road constantly, and the lapdock is an incredibly useful accessory.

I'm all in for a RAZR, Lapdock500, car dock and two desktop docks. Not looking forward to getting the bill, but it will all be worth it.

I don't think 4.65 is too big but if the phone gets bigger then it turns into a problem. The GN is supposed to be thicker (obviously but still more thin then a lot of phones), little bit taller, but the width is still very slightly narrower (.01). So its not really any bigger then a lot of phones on the market.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I hear this a lot. Not picking on you Blitz, but follow my logic...

It was designed by Samsung engineers and built in a Samsung factory by Samsung workers using Samsung parts. They used an OMAP instead of a Hummingbird, and that makes it not a Samsung? Not buying it. That's like saying, "Think of it as Progressiveism instead of Communism." Changing the name doesn't change product, it just changes the name...

You son of a.... Communism WORKS on paper! But by that logic, the Yankees should win the World Series every year; that's why they play the games.

Bryan

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Without an SD card slot the Nexus is out for me, that's the show stopper. I have many media files on multiple 16GB cards that I want to use. Same goes for any tablet. SD card or USB OTG is a must.

Had the original RAZR and KRZR and loved em. Going with the Droid RAZR now.

Goodbye Blackberry. Good riddance.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, Corning has confirmed, no Gorilla glass on the Nexus Prime! Wowski. So for sure I'll pass on that now. I'm done with protector condoms on my phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800