Deciding between the razr and nexus

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
It almost shames me to say that I have been a loyal HTC consumer since before they were HTC... but this fall season it seems that Moto wants my money more that HTC does. I almost bit on the Bionic, the only thing that made me hesitate was the screen. Glad I waited a little longer...

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
It almost shames me to say that I have been a loyal HTC consumer since before they were HTC... but this fall season it seems that Moto wants my money more that HTC does. I almost bit on the Bionic, the only thing that made me hesitate was the screen. Glad I waited a little longer...

Yeah Im in the same boat. I love htc phones and was going to wait for the rezound, but I want to try something different and this phone seems to fit my tastes the best. I liked the bionic but not enough to purchase one.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
right now, the Bionic is the fastest phone out there, I get around 29 mps downloads at my home, nothing lags on the phone at all....it makes my wifes X seem like a relic...The Bionic is awsome..

that said, I am keeping my Bionic and getting the wife the Razr...she needs to upgrade that slow X she has.

I also hope Zumocast will be available for the Razr, that app is great

I liked the bionic but not enough to purchase one.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I never had a problem with motoblur. Actually liked it. Got kinda used to it when I had Droid x. Now I have tbolt. Always liked sense, when I had the hero, but moved onto og Droid. On the droid, I bought many home replacement apps to make it look almost like sense UI. But I git dx and was happy. Now I have tbolt. But thinking of moving to motoblured razr. Cus of Tue awesome docks u can buy for it.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
right now, the Bionic is the fastest phone out there, I get around 29 mps downloads at my home, nothing lags on the phone at all....it makes my wifes X seem like a relic...The Bionic is awsome..

that said, I am keeping my Bionic and getting the wife the Razr...she needs to upgrade that slow X she has.

I also hope Zumocast will be available for the Razr, that app is great

Actually, they have rebranded it as Motocast - it does look awesome. Even though I want to carry a lot of multimedia with me it would be great on the road to be able to "switch out" some movies from my home computer.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Having had the Thunderbolt and the Incredible 2 as my last two phones, I've narrowed my next phone search down to the Razr and the Nexus (I'm kind of sick of Sense). To me, there are really only two pros to the Nexus (as far as my personal use goes)...and those are ICS out of the box and the ridiculously fast camera. Other than that, the Razr has the edge (no pun intended). To me, the Razr's positives are:

better construction (hate samsung's plastics)
thinner overall (even the gsm nexus is 8.9mm at it's thinnest point)
hdmi out
edgier design that I prefer
removable sd card
gorilla glass

So really the only thing that truly could be an issue is stock ICS. I believe that since the Razr is unlocked outside of the US, we'll be able to get it rooted and unlocked pretty quickly, to which we'll be able to go stock ICS without much trouble (hopefully). So that advantage is pretty much gone for the Nexus.

Anyway, this is my long winded thought process that led me to getting up at 5am PST to preorder this morning. :) Now I wonder when it will arrive (hopefully before November 10th, lol).

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the much better radios in the Moto I have a Samsung now and they are really lagging behind other brands on radio quality.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the much better radios in the Moto I have a Samsung now and they are really lagging behind other brands on radio quality.

That's quite true. That's one of the main reasons I want to get out of my HTC rut as well. Horrible radios compared to Moto. My Fascinate was pretty bad in that regard too. And yes, I've had nearly every Android phone on Verizon. :)

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the camera speed of the Nexus is from the hardware or ICS? The camera is one of the criteria I am using to try to decide between the two phones.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

Jbartu

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised more people are not concerned that the battery cannot be removed. I was really interested in the Razr, but I go through 2 batteries a day in my Bionic. And since I am in the field often, I don't always have the luxury of a charger. Otherwise, the phone looks great, especially the display!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised more people are not concerned that the battery cannot be removed. I was really interested in the Razr, but I go through 2 batteries a day in my Bionic. And since I am in the field often, I don't always have the luxury of a charger. Otherwise, the phone looks great, especially the display!

Do you actually turn off your phone and swap batteries? I didn't think anyone did that anymore these days. I don't know it might just be a minority. I still have the original battery in my OG Droid from release day. About a year ago I thought about buying a second battery but decided against it since then you almost have to buy one of those battery chargers. Yeah battery life has gotten worse with the phone's aging but what are you gonna do? I just carry my AC charger with me everywhere and have a car charger.

The sealed battery is really the only deal breaker for me on the RAZR but I still think I'm going to get it since I really want to have an SD card slot and the Nexus doesn't.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I loved having a battery charger and spare batteries for my Droid X. I did not carry a spare batter the most of the time but it was nice to come home from work and be able to swap batteries and not have to worry about plugging in the rest of the night. Next morning I would wake up and swap the batteries again. So I hardly ever plugged my phone into charge it.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I live off my spare batteries some days there not needed but it's nice to have the option if your away from a charger for a day or more. I have 2 spares and on of them is an extended so between the 3 I can have 48 hours of moderate use. But everyone is not the same so having a built in battery will be fine for most users.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
HTC owners (especially thunderbolt owners) have come used to using spare batteries.. my Fascinate can go all day without a charge.. I've never thought of using a spare battery.

Wouldnt be planning on buying one even if the motorola had a swappable battery.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
HTC owners (especially thunderbolt owners) have come used to using spare batteries.. my Fascinate can go all day without a charge.. I've never thought of using a spare battery.

Wouldnt be planning on buying one even if the motorola had a swappable battery.

My extended battery drains rather quickly when watching Netflix on 4G. My friends Bionic with a stock battery lasts him most of the day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ive decided to go with the Nexus this time. The only thing I can see that the Razr has over the nexus is the thin/quality/GG build factor...for me at least. And I don't put too much stock in the build quality because I know people that have samsung phones and love them. ICS,NFC, and an unlocked bootloader are just too much for me to overlook. The HDMI out had me concerned, but since the nexus can do it with an adapter, it kind of won me over and decided for me.

I'm sure either phone would make me completely happy, so if you are on the opposite side of the fence as me, I'm sure the Razr is going to be a great phone. Enjoy!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Man the more I read about the battery issue the more I lean towards the Nexus even though I really like the RAZR. But the Nexus not having an SD card slot is a deal breaker! Now if the Nexus has 32GB on Verizon, I'll go with it.

It would be really bad that after 12-16 months with the Razr the battery life starts to die out like my OG Droid did. That would really stink. I've gotten to the point where I charge my OG Droid at least once per day, sometimes twice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463