$649.99? Verizon should be ashamed.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Off contract pricing has gotten out of hand. We already pay a hefty premium with the data package. This really ties up the hands of most consumers who want the latest technology. Verizon needs to stop gouging their prices and lower the full retail of this device down to $589 like the Bionic.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's ridiculous, but I used my upgrade and paid $300. Which, to be honest, is still a bit steep but oh well.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
While you may feel that the price is ridiculous, keep in mind that the RAZR has a better screen, the Kevlar back, and all that tech is squeezed into a much smaller chassis. I'm not saying that it costs that much to manufacture, but the phone is worth a premium over the Bionic.

desoulja2185

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why when preordering they don't give you the option to put the phone on your next bill as they do in the store? That's foolish.. Still debating right now.. 649.00 or use my upgrade... Don't like the fact of the committment but to save 300 dollars I may do it.. Just don't want to be sitting on the stump later when the DROID RAZR 2 comes out... it's to be expected though so either now.. or later... or pass.... <----- which is NOT going to happen lol.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why when preordering they don't give you the option to put the phone on your next bill as they do in the store? That's foolish.. Still debating right now.. 649.00 or use my upgrade... Don't like the fact of the committment but to save 300 dollars I may do it.. Just don't want to be sitting on the stump later when the DROID RAZR 2 comes out... it's to be expected though so either now.. or later... or pass.... <----- which is NOT going to happen lol.

Use the upgrade now as it makes the most sense. If you pay full price and sit on the upgrade for the RAZR 2, than you're assuming it'll be happening or a big leap. However, by using the upgrade now, you're saving money and you can pay full price later if needed. :)

No need to risk it!

desoulja2185

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Use the upgrade now as it makes the most sense. If you pay full price and sit on the upgrade for the RAZR 2, than you're assuming it'll be happening or a big leap. However, by using the upgrade now, you're saving money and you can pay full price later if needed. :)

No need to risk it!

I agree with you, but I wonder if I can get it on a 1 year contract. Those are usually $100 more than what the two year contract pricing is.... I may have to call VZ.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, but I wonder if I can get it on a 1 year contract. Those are usually $100 more than what the two year contract pricing is.... I may have to call VZ.

It's worth a try, but Verizon discontinued 1 year contracts to all account except business accounts. :(

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious as to the full retail price of the Galaxy Nexus as I have been considering picking up both phones, the RAZR due to the form factor and the Nexus due to Ice Cream Sandwich. I only have 1 upgrade available so it makes sense to use it on whichever phone has the higher full retail price. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive to be a phone aficionado but at the same time, it's amazing the kind of tech they squeeze into these devices.

desoulja2185

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It's worth a try, but Verizon discontinued 1 year contracts to all account except business accounts. :(

Dang.. I guess it's "NO BUENO" for me... I dunno.. I may just cough it up.. full retail that is.. or just use my upgrade and pray that I like this phone, the ACTUAL device outside of the form factor!.... I've never had a phone longer than a year... lol... but this is becoming a little too expensive.

mwangkc

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious as to the full retail price of the Galaxy Nexus as I have been considering picking up both phones, the RAZR due to the form factor and the Nexus due to Ice Cream Sandwich. I only have 1 upgrade available so it makes sense to use it on whichever phone has the higher full retail price. It sucks that it's becoming so expensive to be a phone aficionado but at the same time, it's amazing the kind of tech they squeeze into these devices.

I'm curious too.
The 'spread' on the RAZR is $350, the difference between the contact and no contract price. On Sprint, there is a $300 spread on the Galaxy S II, and $449 on the iPhone 4S. Verizon is the same on the 4S, $440 higher w/o contract, the new Rhyme is +$240, and the Bionic is +$340 ($590 vs. $250.)
So, my guess is the Galaxy Nexus will be $299 with a contract, and $599-$679 without a 2-yr deal. Crazy high, but I'm probably going to click the "Buy Now" button when it's available.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Burn the upgrade and when the Razr 2 comes out, sell it for as much as you can and use that to offset full retail. Just a thought...

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Overseas they are paying more. Not to sound like an ass, but no one is forcing anyone to buy this device. I'd like to have a ferarri, but I can't afford one. :(

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I expected the price. I didn't expect the Verizon rep to act like no one ever buys a phone at the full retail price.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what Verizon plans on doing when we all run out of money for phones. They took away one year contracts, new every two, annual upgrades etc.. I want the latest technology but I'm sure i'm not alone in saying if they keep coming out with phones every month or two for $650+ and no way to discount them, I can't afford that lol. I can't upgrade till may of 2013.. so I'll probably buy a new phone @ retail because my bionic's camera sucks so bad..but after I buy my next phone full price... I can't afford to buy another one until my upgrade..it's too expensive. I'm not poor but I'm sure all of us can't afford to spend that much whenever a newer phone comes out. One reason I like Iphones..one phone...once a year..not 12 a year that can't get software updates for 6+ months after they came out and some that never do...

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have 9+ lines on my account that are staggered so I almost always have at least 2 that are ready for an upgrade at any given time. So far my plan is to pick up the Razr and the Nexus and then decide which one I want for my primary phone.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what Verizon plans on doing when we all run out of money for phones. They took away one year contracts, new every two, annual upgrades etc.. I want the latest technology but I'm sure i'm not alone in saying if they keep coming out with phones every month or two for $650+ and no way to discount them, I can't afford that lol. I can't upgrade till may of 2013.. so I'll probably buy a new phone @ retail because my bionic's camera sucks so bad..but after I buy my next phone full price... I can't afford to buy another one until my upgrade..it's too expensive. I'm not poor but I'm sure all of us can't afford to spend that much whenever a newer phone comes out. One reason I like Iphones..one phone...once a year..not 12 a year that can't get software updates for 6+ months after they came out and some that never do...

dont forget you can sell your bionic on ebay to offset some of the cost of a new phone, and then repeat that again when you upgrade again.

I just sold a fascinate on ebay for 139.99.. not bad considering I bought it got 00.01 and got a years use out of it.

I have 9+ lines on my account that are staggered so I almost always have at least 2 that are ready for an upgrade at any given time. So far my plan is to pick up the Razr and the Nexus and then decide which one I want for my primary phone.

what is 9+? whats the actual number?

and are you a millionaire or something? dont you have to pay 29.99 + 9.99 per line? on top of your family plan of like 99.99?

so thats like 500 a month?

wouldnt it just be easier to pay like 100 a month.. the difference (if you do indeed pay something like 500 a month) would be almost 5000 a year.. thats plenty of cash to just buy phones at full retail..

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
there are 9 actual phones, the plus is for the data plan for my wifes netbook, and my Xoom also has a data plan on it. Even though they are not phones they still have a line/number attached. I do not pay the entire bill myself I have other family members on my account that pay their part of the bill every month. The total bill every month is under 500.00.

Since I am an employee I get discounts on my access charges etc.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Off contract pricing has gotten out of hand. We already pay a hefty premium with the data package. This really ties up the hands of most consumers who want the latest technology. Verizon needs to stop gouging their prices and lower the full retail of this device down to $589 like the Bionic.

What phone are you talking about?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
there are 9 actual phones, the plus is for the data plan for my wifes netbook, and my Xoom also has a data plan on it. Even though they are not phones they still have a line/number attached. I do not pay the entire bill myself I have other family members on my account that pay their part of the bill every month. The total bill every month is under 500.00.

Since I am an employee I get discounts on my access charges etc.

Then you wouldn't technically be having upgrades every few months then right? Unless you're taking your family's upgrades??

I personally was thinking of adding lines for upgrades but can't really justfy unused data plans on each

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I usually just shift the upgrades to which ever person wants or needs a new phone. Right now everyone is pretty happy with their currant device so that leaves 2 available right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles