11-18-2011 10:35 PM
53 123
tools
    I will never again buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. It is one of the reasons I left the iPhone herd. Too bad, I was interested in the phone before I became aware of this issue.
    As I think non removable batteries will be the new trend, you might need to rethink your policy.
    TvTechGuru and YourMobileGuru like this.
    11-11-2011 07:41 AM
    I dont think it will be a trend, one of Android strengths is options, choices. That said, it didnt deter me from getting the RAZR, I will know in a few months if I need to use an extended battery. But...if non removable batteries can make phones thinner....I agree it will become the new trend. Like these bigger phones. Samsung made the GS1 thin as hell with a removable battery. Wonder does LTE technology make that much of a difference? Will be interesting to see how thin the GS2 LTE phone is.

The thing with me is when a phone has a pro I want, need...I tend to overlook, live with the cons as long as it isnt a major con. Which is something anyone must do IMO: decide the cons you can live with and it will make your phone choice easier.

I think my RAZR has better reception than my Droid X1. Reception and battery life are my biggest want, needs. So for me, I might can get a phone that can use an extended battery....but will I be giving up reception? IF Moto or somebody makes a battery pack for the RAZR thats fits on the back of the RAZR, even if it makes the phone thicker I could deal with that. I think Samsung has something like that for the GS1.
    11-11-2011 08:26 AM
    It happened to people who got the 4g upgrade to their Xooms who then decided to flash older versions of android, and then flashing back to the sbf that Motorola originally released for 4g Xooms.

It worked until reboot, then they were stuck on the boot screen and holding the two buttons didn't do a damned thing. End result, they had to wait till the battery drained until they could fastboot a working image.

The moral to this story is, if you are gonna mess around with things that can necessitate a battery pull, and you're not willing to wait for the battery to drain, don't buy a phone with unremoveable battery.

Everybody else should be safe relying on the two button salute.
    You're talking about something different here. For everyday use the button combination is fine. You're talking about hacking and loading unsupported software. Yes, even though the older version of Android that was loaded on to the Xoom was official, it still wasn't supported once the 4G update was installed.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    11-11-2011 09:15 AM
    From my perspective someone who uses custom roms exclusively, a phone without a removable battery is a deal breaker for me, i used to use an iphone and it was jailbroken and from my experience recovery from a bad software issue was harder than on android with a removable battery. despite assurances I'd still be worried about bricking the phone. as for battery life issues that part doesn't bother me, I have a charge cable at work, the car and home, I'd much rather charge than do a battery swap, it's a pain in the ***.

I think this phone is simply better suited towards a mainstream crowd for these reasons, and you pay that price in exchange for the phones thinness. two other good choices are the HTC resound and the Galaxy Nexus, hell both have a better screen, seems a no brainer.

Android is about choice and while the rom community may not in itself keep manufacturers coming out with phones that have a removable battery, the heavy users who crave extended bulky batteries, which is a big crowd will ensure that the removable battery isn't completely wiped out. though non-removable batteries may indeed become more common.
    11-11-2011 09:16 AM
    Just an FYI. A lot of power issues arise with removable batteries. One thing is that when the contacts become dirty between the phone and battery, it creates a resistance making the phone and battery work harder (shorter battery life). The other thing is intermittent contact between the battery and phone since the contacts are spring loaded. If the spring fails or weakens, that contact is not going to hold. Having a battery hardwired in is not all that bad and it's actually better.
    TvTechGuru and YourMobileGuru like this.
    11-11-2011 09:22 AM
    Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.

My droid required a battery pull twice (maybe three times), otherwise, I would have had a black skinny brick.

I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.

I understand this is not a common problem with any electronic device, but it can be a necessity and if it is, it sure is nice to pull a battery to solve some software glitch.

Don't misunderstand me, I love the Razr, figure it will be my retirement gift to myself and a chance to dump the X. But I sure would like to know if there is a way to pull the battery by removing some screws vs. having a brick in my hand. But looking at all the Razr photos, I see no screws to remove.
    Well the Razr isn't for you.
    11-11-2011 09:55 AM
    The thing with me is when a phone has a pro I want, need...I tend to overlook, live with the cons as long as it isnt a major con. Which is something anyone must do IMO: decide the cons you can live with and it will make your phone choice easier.
    I absolutely agree with this statement! That's how I felt while trying to decide between the RAZR and the Galaxy Nexus. The RAZR had more pro's for me that I really wanted to have in my next phone, and the only con for me personally was the non-removable battery. But like you said, it's what you can live with. I can live with the battery inside, as long as it's reliable and engineered properly. Which I entrust to Motorola.
    jroc likes this.
    11-11-2011 10:18 AM
    I just got back fromythe Verizon store where they had a Motorola rep on hand demoing the Razr. I asked him about the battery pull. He said that you press the power and BOTH volume buttons for 15 seconds to reboot. He said that the feature is a hardware, not a software feature so there are no worries about the software not responding.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.
    TvTechGuru likes this.
    11-11-2011 11:10 AM
    It may be like the iPhone with the two screws at the charging port. I haven't seen the phone in person yet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    11-11-2011 11:18 AM
    11-11-2011 11:25 AM
    Who said the battery isn't removable?

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/t...m1AB5d1GG.huge

That battery is HUGE.

I wonder how you remove the Kevlar (if you wanted to).
    11-11-2011 11:28 AM
    I guess this is how:
    11-11-2011 11:29 AM
    These are the external battery packs I was talking about:

11-11-2011 11:34 AM
    So Motorola assumes the battery the put in it will be enough? Well that is never the case with android phones.

How will people be able to get extended batteries for these devices? Even possible?
    11-11-2011 11:36 AM
    External extended batteries like I posted? Thats only if someone decided to make one.
    11-11-2011 11:39 AM
    External extended batteries like I posted? Thats only if someone decided to make one.
    I still think its a bad idea. who's gonna want to attach an external battery to their phone..
    11-11-2011 11:45 AM
    Hey, its an option. The one for the Galaxy S 2 doesnt look too bad.
    11-11-2011 12:09 PM
    I will NOT buy a smartphone with Non-removable battery simply because I will be replacing the battery at least once during my ownership of the phone. I've had many smartphones since the early windows mobile days all of which I usually owned for about 2-1/2 years and every one of them lost about 40% of their charge within the first 1-1/2 years. And because of this I've always replaced my battery after it's just over a year old.

SO, unless Motorola has found some supper battery that can maintain at least 90% of it's charge for over 2 years I will NOT be buying this phone either.
    11-11-2011 02:34 PM
    This was my only worry, that the battery would be completely inaccessible or permanently sealed in. Knowing I may be able to swap it down the road is a sigh of relief.
    11-11-2011 02:37 PM
    That battery is HUGE.

I wonder how you remove the Kevlar (if you wanted to).
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motor...eardown/7048/1
    11-11-2011 03:12 PM
    seeing the way the tear down looks i am willing to bet that somebody will make an extended battery and a replacement backing
    fellers78 likes this.
    11-11-2011 03:23 PM
    Seeing how reasonably easy it looks to pull off the backside and remove the battery, there's hope. But, will it be possible to buy an extra one of those super thin batteries. With that said, it's not going to be practical to do a regular swap out. But... maybe if something goes wrong with the battery, you could swap it out a year into ownership if really needed. Time will only tell if that's necessary.

I'm still holding confidence in Motorola that they engineered it well and we won't have to worry. Like I said, if Apple hasn't had problems, Moto shouldn't.
    jroc likes this.
    11-11-2011 09:15 PM
    I'm still holding confidence in Motorola that they engineered it well and we won't have to worry. Like I said, if Apple hasn't had problems, Moto shouldn't.
    Apple is not yet 4G. Let's see what happens with the iPhone 5 comes out, if it will even have 4G.
    11-12-2011 05:06 PM
    IT IS still an issue from two different perspectives.
    One, the combination of button pushes is software related, If the software is screwed up, will it recognize the button inputs and shut down the phone? This phone really needs a recesed restart button that is an actual mechanical link between and actual circuit from the battery to the circuit board.

The other thing that sort of worries me is if you really need to keep the phone off and it won't stay off. Those with the Droid X may have encountered the fact that after GB, if you turned off the phone, it came back on. If you set it into airplane mode, it came back on. Not a great idea when flying. Especially when it rings and the flight attendant is five feet away.

Only way I have found to guarantee my X will not turn on suddenly whiile flying is to PULL the battery.
    I agree that it can be an issue. My Droid 2 Global will turn on randomly after it's turned off. This has only been happening after my update to Gingerbread. Odd thing is I had a Droid 2 a few weeks before the Global and it was updated to GB first, but did not have this issue - at least it never happened that I noticed. I have pulled my battery to be safe several times, like in court (they don't look too kindly to cell phones in court...). I often have pulled the battery in the past, going back to the days when my motorola flip phone alarm would turn on the entire phone - it just became a source of habit. So it's a valid concern. I wish this phone DID have a reset button somewhere. I am very interested in the Droid 4 coming out soon but it too will have a non-accessable battery. That's a HUGE turn off and a fear. Especially with all the problems I've had with my Droid 2 AND Droid 2 Global (and the fact my friend has been through 5 Droid 3's in a month and a half). I'm about ready to swear off Motorola forever. If they did fix their reliability issues (which I hope they did, they are the only American company besides Apple for God's sake...) the phone is still no doubt going to freeze. From my understanding when this happens on an iPhone they have to wait until they get home and plug it in to their computer to force it to reboot. I don't know how accurate that is, that's just what I've heard.

-kenoshabrew
    11-18-2011 12:34 AM
    Definitely will be fine with the button pushes to reset. But one of your main desires in a phone shouldn't be "be able to pull the battery so I can reboot when the software crashes"

iPhone handles it fine, mine has crashed a lot more than I'd care to admit, and my Galaxy Tab handles it fine. Seriously, don't worry about it so much. The button-reset is in a much lower-level portion of the firmware, which I doubt is affected by any actions of the user, including rooting and flashing a new ROM.
    I think it can be an issue. Especially with Motorola and their history of buggy software updates. No one is buying this phone excited about GB, and if Motorola didn't announce ICS in a "short" while it would have lost a LOT of buyers. It's well known that Motorola is putting out buggy junk. Case in point; the previous posters issues with his Droix X with GB. My issues with a Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global (more different than I had orginally thought - they are not the same phone or very similar other than looks - both use different software). The Droid 3 was released with tons of bugs that required a bug fix. The Droid Bionic was released with so many bugs they had to release a push update for IT as well. So maybe with other manufacturers it's not so much of concern, but it is or should be with Motorola's past history.

If you're Motorola phone works fine, great. But seeing first hand what poor software this company is putting out makes it a concern for anyone who's dealth with their bugs. The Droid RAZR offers something you can't get anywhere else - the super slim case. The Droid 4 is going to offer a QWERTY keyboard with a "slimmer" case then the Droid 3 and QWERTY keyboard with LTE, which is rare on a keyboard phone. I would never have bought a Motorola again, or even considered them, but Samsung decieded to put out the Stratosphere QWERTY LTE phone with a single core processor. And I'll be damned if I get stuck with that for the next 2 years. My worry is if I go with Motorola again I'll be stuck with nothing for part of those two years.
    11-18-2011 12:46 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD