Non-removable battery?

1LoudLS

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess it really is as simple, if that is a feature that you "HAVE"to have, then this phone doesn't fit your needs. Time to just move along.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of a smartphone that was close to being usable all day with heavy usage. Moderate usage, yes, but not heavy. The screens just can't be powered that long on those puny batteries, not to mention the extra grunt work required for the "heavy" usage.

well there's one.... Blackberry ;)

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Too many of you are using the non-removable battery as a deal breaker for this phone. The iPhone is in it's 5th generation and it hasn't had any significant problems now has it? Out of all the problems with the iPhone we've seen in the press and on TV I haven't see one thing about permanent battery being a problem. So if Apple can do it, I trust Motorola has engineered and tested it and passed it to work well before releasing such a great phone.

I never bought a spare or extended battery for my OG Droid that I've had 2 years now. I just bought a car charger and took my AC charger with me to work or if I'm going to be away from home for over a day. That's just me.

Reactions: jroc and 0pusX

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Too many of you are using the non-removable battery as a deal breaker for this phone. The iPhone is in it's 5th generation and it hasn't had any significant problems now has it? Out of all the problems with the iPhone we've seen in the press and on TV I haven't see one thing about permanent battery being a problem. So if Apple can do it, I trust Motorola has engineered and tested it and passed it to work well before releasing such a great phone.

I never bought a spare or extended battery for my OG Droid that I've had 2 years now. I just bought a car charger and took my AC charger with me to work or if I'm going to be away from home for over a day. That's just me.

The phone's on back-order @ amazon wireless...9 day wait...
It really doesn't look like most people are worried about the non-removable battery :)

Last edited:

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I will never again buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery. It is one of the reasons I left the iPhone herd. Too bad, I was interested in the phone before I became aware of this issue.

As I think non removable batteries will be the new trend, you might need to rethink your policy.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it will be a trend, one of Android strengths is options, choices. That said, it didnt deter me from getting the RAZR, I will know in a few months if I need to use an extended battery. But...if non removable batteries can make phones thinner....I agree it will become the new trend. Like these bigger phones. Samsung made the GS1 thin as hell with a removable battery. Wonder does LTE technology make that much of a difference? Will be interesting to see how thin the GS2 LTE phone is.

The thing with me is when a phone has a pro I want, need...I tend to overlook, live with the cons as long as it isnt a major con. Which is something anyone must do IMO: decide the cons you can live with and it will make your phone choice easier.

I think my RAZR has better reception than my Droid X1. Reception and battery life are my biggest want, needs. So for me, I might can get a phone that can use an extended battery....but will I be giving up reception? IF Moto or somebody makes a battery pack for the RAZR thats fits on the back of the RAZR, even if it makes the phone thicker I could deal with that. I think Samsung has something like that for the GS1.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It happened to people who got the 4g upgrade to their Xooms who then decided to flash older versions of android, and then flashing back to the sbf that Motorola originally released for 4g Xooms.

It worked until reboot, then they were stuck on the boot screen and holding the two buttons didn't do a damned thing. End result, they had to wait till the battery drained until they could fastboot a working image.

The moral to this story is, if you are gonna mess around with things that can necessitate a battery pull, and you're not willing to wait for the battery to drain, don't buy a phone with unremoveable battery.

Everybody else should be safe relying on the two button salute.

You're talking about something different here. For everyday use the button combination is fine. You're talking about hacking and loading unsupported software. Yes, even though the older version of Android that was loaded on to the Xoom was official, it still wasn't supported once the 4G update was installed.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
From my perspective someone who uses custom roms exclusively, a phone without a removable battery is a deal breaker for me, i used to use an iphone and it was jailbroken and from my experience recovery from a bad software issue was harder than on android with a removable battery. despite assurances I'd still be worried about bricking the phone. as for battery life issues that part doesn't bother me, I have a charge cable at work, the car and home, I'd much rather charge than do a battery swap, it's a pain in the ass.

I think this phone is simply better suited towards a mainstream crowd for these reasons, and you pay that price in exchange for the phones thinness. two other good choices are the HTC resound and the Galaxy Nexus, hell both have a better screen, seems a no brainer.

Android is about choice and while the rom community may not in itself keep manufacturers coming out with phones that have a removable battery, the heavy users who crave extended bulky batteries, which is a big crowd will ensure that the removable battery isn't completely wiped out. though non-removable batteries may indeed become more common.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI. A lot of power issues arise with removable batteries. One thing is that when the contacts become dirty between the phone and battery, it creates a resistance making the phone and battery work harder (shorter battery life). The other thing is intermittent contact between the battery and phone since the contacts are spring loaded. If the spring fails or weakens, that contact is not going to hold. Having a battery hardwired in is not all that bad and it's actually better.

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Nothing personal to anyone. But assurances from people on a forum does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Software is software, and even on my laptop I had to pull a battery once to get it to reboot, then I had to reload all the software. A big pain, but at least in a few hours I had a laptop working again. And I might add, that I was told the eight second press of the on/off button triggered the BIOS to do the reset...well, it didn't work! And if I am not mistaken, BIOS is just software code written directly to the mother board ROM chipset.

My droid required a battery pull twice (maybe three times), otherwise, I would have had a black skinny brick.

I know quite a few people with iPhones and two have had to take their phones to the Apple store for a battery pull. Happened to one person once, the other twice. That may not be a problem if the Apple store is nearby. However, in my case, the nearest Verizon store is 115 miles away and this can be common for people living in the western states.

I understand this is not a common problem with any electronic device, but it can be a necessity and if it is, it sure is nice to pull a battery to solve some software glitch.

Don't misunderstand me, I love the Razr, figure it will be my retirement gift to myself and a chance to dump the X. But I sure would like to know if there is a way to pull the battery by removing some screws vs. having a brick in my hand. But looking at all the Razr photos, I see no screws to remove.:mad:
Well the Razr isn't for you.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The thing with me is when a phone has a pro I want, need...I tend to overlook, live with the cons as long as it isnt a major con. Which is something anyone must do IMO: decide the cons you can live with and it will make your phone choice easier.

I absolutely agree with this statement! That's how I felt while trying to decide between the RAZR and the Galaxy Nexus. The RAZR had more pro's for me that I really wanted to have in my next phone, and the only con for me personally was the non-removable battery. But like you said, it's what you can live with. I can live with the battery inside, as long as it's reliable and engineered properly. Which I entrust to Motorola.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got back fromythe Verizon store where they had a Motorola rep on hand demoing the Razr. I asked him about the battery pull. He said that you press the power and BOTH volume buttons for 15 seconds to reboot. He said that the feature is a hardware, not a software feature so there are no worries about the software not responding.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It may be like the iPhone with the two screws at the charging port. I haven't seen the phone in person yet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is how:
hrKEhZutjZGDAZPv.large

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So Motorola assumes the battery the put in it will be enough? Well that is never the case with android phones.

How will people be able to get extended batteries for these devices? Even possible?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674