anyone who just got their phone want to give a first impression?

sponge60

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: anyone who just got their phone want to give a first impressi

Sure. I'm never at a loss for words. Just ask my wife! I'm very new to the Droid world, so bear with me if I state an obvious Droid characteristic.

I was very surprised to get the phone on Wednesday. Better than I had hoped. The phone is in a cool box, short USB cord and dual USB wall outlet. No case or software. Has a quick start guide and a few other documents. Phone is light compared to my wife's iPhone 4. I guess a case (when available) will add an ounce or two.

This phone is pretty big, and dwarfed my BB Storm 2 to an almost comical comparison. The screen is nice and crisp. The rear camera is sweet, and the front one is actually pretty good too. I was able to transfer my music and pictures easily by following the suggestions in the Introduction forums.

Don't like that the vibrate function for a text or email is so brief. I certainly will miss an alert that way. Also, this is a big phone. That’s what I wanted, but I use my phone for work as well as personal. When I wear my uniform, I generally have my phone on my belt. I foresee an inconvenience wearing the Razr there as it will be a bit uncomfortable in my Expedition due to the seatbelt position. Minor issue in the long term, but something that may affect me daily. My Storm 2 already gets bumped there when I buckle up.

I can only attest to the battery as for performance on the first night. I fully charged mine after I got it yesterday. Then on to importing contacts, transferring 2 gigs of music, playing some songs, importing a few megs of photos, syncing 3 email accounts, a load of texts, 6 phone calls and downloaded lots of apps in a mixture of 3G and Wi-Fi. That was about 6 hours worth. I put it back on the charge for overnight at about 50 percent. I'm new to droid, so I was probably pushing buttons and opening up things more than once while I learn. I'm happy with the battery, but expected no less as it is brand new. My Black berry battery would have played out completely doing that stuff. One point though is that the music transfer from my lap top was done with USB, so I assume it may have been given a little boost to the battery instead of a drain.

Overall, this phone has made a good impression on me. I have lots of learning to do as far as the Droid world, but I think I'm really gonna like this phone.

Reactions: Forgetful and ReAp

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanxx forthe report, sou DS like you are a cop or border patrol.

I came from a storm 2 also a couple of years ago...a must have is the android market app for amazon...every day they have a paid app for free..they have had some good ones.

wheezy

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I havent gotten to test it yet. My wife loves it. Says its thin and light

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

New to Android from WebOS. Just got a Nexus S 4G.

Pros: Nice form factor on phone. Phone appears generally quicker than my old phone. More app choices. Nice screen.

Cons: OS doesn't feel as elegant as WebOS (maybe my impression will change over time), notifications are disappointing. I miss my touchstone! Still trying to adjust to virtual keyboard. I think it is somewhat harder to root and homebrew, although I haven't tried it yet.

LeanNSupreme

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

New to Android from WebOS. Just got a Nexus S 4G.

Pros: Nice form factor on phone. Phone appears generally quicker than my old phone. More app choices. Nice screen.

Cons: OS doesn't feel as elegant as WebOS (maybe my impression will change over time), notifications are disappointing. I miss my touchstone! Still trying to adjust to virtual keyboard. I think it is somewhat harder to root and homebrew, although I haven't tried it yet.
I think you`re in the wrong part of the forums...

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

Love my Dro Ra... fast responsive (just like the ones I played with for the past couple of weeks).
Only issue... all the damn bloatware and ads (nothing a root won't fix). :cool:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Love my Dro Ra... fast responsive (just like the ones I played with for the past couple of weeks).
Only issue... all the damn bloatware and ads (nothing a root won't fix). :cool:

It's quicker than I expected. BeWeather took over a minute on Wi-Fi to download the images on my Thunderbolt. This same process took less than 15 seconds on the RAZR.

I am a bit surprised at the design though. I love it, but the screen feels smaller than the Thunderbolt because the bezel surrounds it on top and bottom a lot. No big deal, just a trick on the eyes.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

As a major hater of the pentile displays on the Bionic/D3/DX2, I will say that the razr's display is definitely an improvement. SAmoled is just as beautiful as it is on Sammy's devices. There is very, very minor pixelation on the screen, but you need to really stare at it for a while to notice (not like on the Bionic's which is instantly recognizable and beyond annoying).

It's definitely wide, but so ******* THIN!!

Reactions: jroc

furbymac

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

Sure. I'm never at a loss for words. Just ask my wife! I'm very new to the Droid world, so bear with me if I state an obvious Droid characteristic.

I was very surprised to get the phone on Wednesday. Better than I had hoped. The phone is in a cool box, short USB cord and dual USB wall outlet. No case or software. Has a quick start guide and a few other documents. Phone is light compared to my wife's iPhone 4. I guess a case (when available) will add an ounce or two.

This phone is pretty big, and dwarfed my BB Storm 2 to an almost comical comparison. The screen is nice and crisp. The rear camera is sweet, and the front one is actually pretty good too. I was able to transfer my music and pictures easily by following the suggestions in the Introduction forums.

Don't like that the vibrate function for a text or email is so brief. I certainly will miss an alert that way. Also, this is a big phone. That?s what I wanted, but I use my phone for work as well as personal. When I wear my uniform, I generally have my phone on my belt. I foresee an inconvenience wearing the Razr there as it will be a bit uncomfortable in my Expedition due to the seatbelt position. Minor issue in the long term, but something that may affect me daily. My Storm 2 already gets bumped there when I buckle up.

I can only attest to the battery as for performance on the first night. I fully charged mine after I got it yesterday. Then on to importing contacts, transferring 2 gigs of music, playing some songs, importing a few megs of photos, syncing 3 email accounts, a load of texts, 6 phone calls and downloaded lots of apps in a mixture of 3G and Wi-Fi. That was about 6 hours worth. I put it back on the charge for overnight at about 50 percent. I'm new to droid, so I was probably pushing buttons and opening up things more than once while I learn. I'm happy with the battery, but expected no less as it is brand new. My Black berry battery would have played out completely doing that stuff. One point though is that the music transfer from my lap top was done with USB, so I assume it may have been given a little boost to the battery instead of a drain.

Overall, this phone has made a good impression on me. I have lots of learning to do as far as the Droid world, but I think I'm really gonna like this phone.

check out handcent sms.....you can customize the vibrate pattern and length.

Reactions: sponge60

bcd1

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

First impression...the phone is great, except for the fact that it keeps switching from 4g to 3g. The data connection keeps dropping all together too. At work I don't have the greatest connection, but I rarely lost connection on my OG Droid. I'll have to see how it goes at home...

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't have much time. I'll add this. I don't have huge hands, but nice sized. I have no problem using this phone vertically at all reaching both left to right or to the top. Also it charges insanely quick. I'm talking from 20% to 80% in 45 minutes while downloading lots of apps in the background and receiving emails

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Enjoy your phones, guys. Honestly. I'm one of the people waiting on the Nexus, and I'm glad to see some of us can at least grab hold of the device we've been waiting for.

Reactions: jroc

yoopermjm

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

This phone is all that I hoped for. It is lightning fast, the screen is beautiful, I've been playing with it for 6 hours and it continues to amaze. Just getting all the apps put back on and setting up things. The motocast is absolutely amazing. My own cloud! It IS big though. One hand operation for me is a bit of a stretch, my hands are about medium (usually large gloves). I don't foresee that as a major problem but it will be an adjustment coming from an OG droid. Camera is fast and first pics are quite nice. Wow the screen and the widgets are cool. The music app (streamed from my laptop) actually streams the lyrics a la follow the bouncing ball (I'm probably the last one to know this, but somehow I didn't see it anywhere and that is quite fun for a words guy like me). Sorry if you're too young to know what follow the bouncing ball is, while there is not a bouncing ball, the lyrics scroll up. The external speakers are tinny, as expected for a phone. When used with nice headphones, very adequate. I am quite impressed and pleased with my purchase, I only wish I could have gotten the lapdock500 with it, but that means more fun later! I have played with it continually all day, including streaming a netflix show (Andy Griffith and Aunt Bea's Kerosine Cucumbers was the maiden voyage) and I have seen NO heat issues. Of course, it's freezing here, so that may be a factor. The screen is so beautiful and big, that I will have no need for a kindle fire, this phone will do all that and much, much more. Overall first impression is I have no doubt this phone will easily last me another two years (the OG droid my daughter is enjoying right now will probably still be going then) and I will no doubt enjoy the experience. Excellent work Motorola.

sj993

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

First impression...the phone is great, except for the fact that it keeps switching from 4g to 3g. The data connection keeps dropping all together too. At work I don't have the greatest connection, but I rarely lost connection on my OG Droid. I'll have to see how it goes at home...

I second this. Overall the phone is fantastic but in the time I've been transferring my files over it keeps switching from 4G to 3G though it has yet to drop the connection entirely.

yoopermjm

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

I should say that up here in the sticks where I live there is no 4g so I turned off that function so that may explain my lack of heat..?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It sounds like it was sent with the same Os version that the BIONIC has. If that is the case shame on Motorola and Verizon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk