black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper)

Podz

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I only had the phone for 2 days so I was able to just cancel my upgrade still if I wanted. I explained the problem and told them in a dark room you can see the trouble on the boot screen if you cover the logo that pops up in the middle with your hand. They brought out 3 phones and 1 by 1 I hid under a jacket and booted the phone up just so I could check out the screen. If you talk to a newer employee there they might be hesitant to opening up boxes you might need to talk to a manger.

Here is a picture my wife took of me in the store. I was told all the lights are on a timing system so we couldn't just go into a room and shut off the lights. Click to view quoted image

First i like to point out that the RAZR is totally Defective let you guys are trying to make due with issues that have no place on this phone with this type of Defect... if u feed motorola money to get away with this crap then from this point on you will get Defective Phones like this all the time...

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I only had the phone for 2 days so I was able to just cancel my upgrade still if I wanted. I explained the problem and told them in a dark room you can see the trouble on the boot screen if you cover the logo that pops up in the middle with your hand. They brought out 3 phones and 1 by 1 I hid under a jacket and booted the phone up just so I could check out the screen. If you talk to a newer employee there they might be hesitant to opening up boxes you might need to talk to a manger.

Here is a picture my wife took of me in the store. I was told all the lights are on a timing system so we couldn't just go into a room and shut off the lights. Click to view quoted image

That's too funny and a little ridiculous, but I honestly would have done to same thing. Very nice of the reps to let you test out units until you were satisfied. And that newer screen looks a whole lot better than the previous one.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Same blotches on my razr too. Noticed it on day 2 in 11-13-11. Figured I damaged the thin phone with my fat ass legs when it was in my pocket . Lol... guess not.

Personally, they dont bother me. YET! The blotches only appear when I boot up the phone in a completely black dark room. And if I'm using Pandora or poweramp in the same black room.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

No_Smoking

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I finally managed to get a picture of my screen flaws.

razrscreenflaw.jpg

I tried to exchange it, but the people at Verizon refused to replace it because Motorola announced it was not defective.

Can something like this be class action suit worthy?

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I finally managed to get a picture of my screen flaws.

Click to view quoted image

I tried to exchange it, but the people at Verizon refused to replace it because Motorola announced it was not defective.

Can something like this be class action suit worthy?
I have seen more than a couple dozen images like this of various devices and have not seen the streaking that appears on your screen.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
First i like to point out that the RAZR is totally Defective let you guys are trying to make due with issues that have no place on this phone with this type of Defect... if u feed motorola money to get away with this crap then from this point on you will get Defective Phones like this all the time...

Sorry to say but this is not fact. Its opinion, and you are welcome to it. But if I had your phone number, can call and talk to you.....its not totally defective.

Does it have issues? Yea. What recent phone released...whether its Android, iPhone WP7 Blackberry hasnt? Are other phones better in some areas? Of course. There is no such thing as a perfect phone. Hardware and software.

If you missed it....other phones with Amoled screens also had/have this issue. So I take it they were totally defective too? So to everybody that isnt having issues, the RAZR is totally defective, huh... Looking at the differences in screens, I'm guessing that whoever put these phones together doesnt do a good job all the time. Some of these screens reminds me of when ppl try to put on a cpu chip in a PC themselves with the cpu paste. Its either that or this is an Amoled thing, either way. Maybe its not noticed on LCD screens cuz they are thicker? Dont really know, just guessing here.

One thing I dont agree with is the RAZR is totally defective. Hell the iPhone 4 and the antenna wasnt totally defective either....it just had a defective antenna...lol. As long as the RAZR...a phone....functions as a phone fine, I cant agree its totally defective.

Last edited:
Reactions: AeroEngi

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This is strange because I don't see this at all on my Razr with a black screen in the dark.

It only comes up when the whole screen is not lit up. I booted my phone and saw it when I covered the logo with my hand and I put my blanket over me to put it in total darkness. It was some places. I don't consider this a defect because I have never seen it while using the phone. I think the screen is beautiful. I think the screens are just like that. You will never notice it while using it. Talk about people making a big deal. If u see it while using the phone than its a different story. I have a half black wallpaper and I never see it even in a pitch dark room. I am happy hear. Some people will just never be happy and they let stuff like this get to them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: jroc

musicianguy

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Here is mine. It's not as good as some. But not as bad either. I still don't like it.

SNC00262.jpg

(current razr maxx)

razr_maxx_damaged_screen.jpg

(previous razr maxx)

Last edited:

invalid_user

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE READ: If you do not want to see the dark splotches on your phone, Do not go into a dark room and or cover yourself with a blanket and boot the phone or look at you tube video's.

If you don't want it to get wet keep it away from water. And if you don't want it to break don't drop it.

If you are seeing defects during normal use I can understand getting a replacement.

Last edited:

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I first noticed this after the second boot up when I got my razr. Since then I've checked numerous samoled devices and found the same "issue" although it's not as apparent on the Sammy devices (better screen calibration maybe?). I'm content with knowing its not a defect. It's one of those things you have to look for to notice.

At the end of the day I'd still take a samoled screen over any other screen.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I checked my 2 day old Maxx yesterday, and I do have a few small splotches at the bottom of my screen, but I really have to concentrate in a dark room with screen brightness below 40% to see them (even hard to see at 0% brightness). So, I don't see this as ever being a real issues for me (or anyone else for that matter).

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
If this is an issue with all Razrs and Maxxs.. i don't want to be a part of it.. I'd like my screen to last for the full 2 years.

blacksplotches

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE READ: If you do not want to see the dark splotches on your phone, Do not go into a dark room and or cover yourself with a blanket and boot the phone or look at you tube video's.

If you don't want it to get wet keep it away from water. And if you don't want it to break don't drop it.

If you are seeing defects during normal use I can understand getting a replacement.

you're a doooosh. is your daddy the CEO of motorola, so we're not allowed to be dissatisfied? the things you list we shouldn't do are about 70% of my use on any cellphone. maybe you're too busy using yours to play angry birds and get mobile pron. try using a screen filter app and setting it to 25% to save battery in any situation, day or night, and you will see these splotches. if you're so high and mighty, maybe you should go work for motorola and design the next generation of poorly manufactured BS.

and to all the people on here who think that by pointing out that motorola isn't the only super amoled affected that makes it OK - you make great customers for these companies who bank on the mass of trendy consumer idiots to disregard these imperfections. that's how they get away with "announcing" or "declaring" that their phones aren't defective. do you know how much horse that is? and the pope announced that god exists.

to the people who think this isn't so bad and can live with it: you obviously don't use your phone in a car at night, or before you go to sleep. even a few spots here and there is HORRENDOUS. i can't believe people are actually making light of this. i wonder if maybe everyone here lives in an underground vault that's fluorescently lit all the time. real life requires darkness, and phones. both of them.

if you dont want it to get wet, keep it away from water. Oooh you're so clever. because what the concerned consumers on this particular forum really need to hear is your wise ass telling them they're idiots.

To all the people who are genuinely concerned with these screens, i commend you for being realistic about a device this expensive. think about it, this phone does absolutely nothing that the Bionic can't do but it costs way more and has a defective screen. i urge everyone to go on motorola's contact page and send them a raging email like the one i just sent. they may be able to claim their phone is infallible, but we don't have to let them sit comfortably on that.

I've personally been through four of these phones now. i am able to return and buy new ones since i'm still in the return window. i plan to make everyone involved with this transaction sore before i'm satisfied. that's what you get for putting a defective device on the market. prepare to be hassled by truly discerning customers!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Someone stepped on a beehive.

If you're unhappy, that's fine. Make sure you let Moto know it. Too bad they don't make the screens in question. I believe Samsung manufactures the screens, so make sure to CC them on the email. But, if people on here don't notice the issue and are OK with it, that's fine too. But don't get on here trying to insight the mob by calling us stupid consumers. It doesn't really help your cause.

On, BTW, 1st post, huh? Welcome to the forums...? :-\

invalid_user

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
B.S that is a good name for you and nice first post. All the posts I read about this so called problem were from people who said they had to be in a dark room with a black screen or a blanket over their head. But hey if that's how you roll I won't judge you.:)