Thoughts on MotoCast

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes motocast streams itunes movies that do not have the drm protection. If the movie files that you want to watch have drm protection, you cant watch it.... Im still trying to find a cloud based service that I can upload all my movies to, kind of like google music.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It would be even better if the phone streamed photos to the computer. But I can just plug it in to the desktop and upload the shots, so no big deal. MotoCast is still way more impressive than I thought it would be.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone try streaming videos? Specifically MP4 videos?

This would be extremely cool, but I'm guessing if it can, it sucks a ton of the PC's CPU to reformat the video on the fly when sending it to your phone.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
OK, maybe I'm an idiot....when I connect Razr to PC, up pops this thing about Motocast, and when I click on it, it takes me to a VZW MM page which is a huge download...is that what I'm after, or am I missing something? Wondering if it's VZW's version of Motocast?

Thanks.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site

This would be extremely cool, but I'm guessing if it can, it sucks a ton of the PC's CPU to reformat the video on the fly when sending it to your phone.

Used it. Worked flawlessly on wifi and 4g.. Even used hdmi out to my TV ;) after that.

pt1911

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It would be even better if the phone streamed photos to the computer. But I can just plug it in to the desktop and upload the shots, so no big deal. MotoCast is still way more impressive than I thought it would be.

It would be nice if there was an easier way but there IS a way to transfer files from you phone to your computer without hooking up a cable. If you go into the "Files" app then in the file manager the MotoCast computers tab shows up and you can copy and past from Internal Phone storage to your computer and vice versa.

Reactions: jroc and paul-c

spouses

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I found that setting up MotoCast was really simple. I barely had to do anything and all the music and pictures from my computer were on my phone. I like what Motorola did with it. What's everyone's thoughts on it so far?
Set up MotoCast on my Razr and it works great.
One question?
When I want to look at files on my work computer it first downloads it onto my Razrs internal memory.
Can I view a file without having it download to my phone. Also if it has to be downloaded first,can I direct it to the phones SD card instead of the internal phones storage??:D

dtnel

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you stream when you're away from your PC that you have streaming or do you have to be on the wireless network that you use at home?

twig6986

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving motocast, but a quick question...i have music on my SD card for when im on a plane and wherever I have no connection...anyone know of a way to show only streaming music? I have a ton of duplicates.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
It works over the cellular connection. I'm using it now.

I searched a little for this info, but wondering how this technically works via network. Are there specific ports that it uses (I have strict incoming AND outgoing firewall rules)? Or does it use some cloud servers of some kind that connect the phone with the PC via some dynamic dns mechanism and using standard http/https ports?

dj_spore

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I was liking MotoCast, but the music app suddenly started FC on me, it's happend at least 4 or 5 times now, and it is extremely slow. I had it set up on my laptop, which is not always on, and in my area I am stuck with 3g for at least a couple more weeks. Not sure if it has to do with it connecting to my PC, but I simply can't use the stock music app any more. Any thoughts would be great, I like the idea of MotoCast. Also, is there a way to remove a computer, so that I can change it to my desktop?

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I searched a little for this info, but wondering how this technically works via network. Are there specific ports that it uses (I have strict incoming AND outgoing firewall rules)? Or does it use some cloud servers of some kind that connect the phone with the PC via some dynamic dns mechanism and using standard http/https ports?

I don't know, but I do know this. I have an extensive network at my home. I'm no network expert, but I know I have a Cisco firewall that I paid a lot of money for. I have a massive automation system that all hangs off a very elaborate network built with commercial grade network gear. It works fine for me. Just like Dropbox so far as I can tell.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I just tried this. I have about 100 movies from my collection converted to MP4 files and optimized for my XOOM. I was in motocast and stumbled on that folder and thought I'd give it a spin. A wheel spun on the screen for about 5 seconds and then the movie started. It played perfectly. I then thought about your question on the CPU, so I went to my computer. It had no effect on it at all.

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not quite so bad... You can stream from your home without any PC at all. Simply attach a drive or USB stick to a newer router equipped with USB port. Some of these are just a print server, but many newer models also act as a web-enabled storage server. And they have lots of streaming horsepower too!

I have a Netgear router with ReadyShare. Like many newer routers, the attached drive is seen as a DLNA streamer (it works with MotoCast). That means that you don't need to download an entire file to stream music or start a movie. Many support iTunes, TV/movies, FTP, and even apps like Time Machine and a remote control client for your Bit Torrent (Vuze or uTorrent).

Then there is the very inexpensive PogoPlug. It is a NAS gadget that attaches to a router and let's you plug in drives. Although MotoCast does not see my PP attached drive away from home, I can access the media on that drive from a separate PogoPlug App on my Droid RAZR. Perhaps there is way to get Motocast to access the remote PP drive. It would be nice to see the real-time lyrics. It is the niftiest feature of MotoCast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2