Can't access certain websites with MHS,,,

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having one of the strangest problems with the mobile hotspot on my RAZR. I have connected my device to 2 seperate computers and both have issues accessing certain websites. In other words, it will hang and load for minutes until finally turning up an error. These websites will work on the phone itself and on my home internet connection though.

Examples of websites that are broken are:

Yahoo!
ps3.ign.com
xbox360.ign.com

Netflix.com was also turning up errors until I cleared the browsers out. My Thunderbolt never did this and I'm becoming extremely frustrated.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have called Verizon regarding this issue and a trouble ticket has been opened. However, I have narrowed it down to being an issue with the Mobile Hotspot application itself. Could anyone test this to see if it works or has an issue too?

Under normal wireless MHS, certain websites fail to work. However, I bypassed all MHS activity and went straight to USB tethering. This resulted in no issues and I can surf the web as intended. I do not mind using a tether, but I'm curious as to why this happens.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
JFTR, I can't reach the 2nd and 3rd link with my TBolt direct. Yahoo is no problem.

Never mind. You have to remove the www.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
JFTR, I can't reach the 2nd and 3rd link with my TBolt direct. Yahoo is no problem.

Never mind. You have to remove the www.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

I clicked the links and received an error too. Odd though considering the URL was correct, just won't go through.

Tricent

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

This issue is related to MTU. I have seen this problem frequently with routers. As a test, I lowered the MTU on my Macbook Pro to 1400 and found that ALL web pages load fine when using MHS.

If you have a Mac, open Network Preferences, select Airport on the left and click Advanced at the bottom right. Select the Ethernet Tab, change Configure: to "Manually" and MTU to custom. Type 1400 in the box, click Ok and Apply.

For Windows users the fix does not appear to be as simple. The MTU can be changed but not so easily. I recommend a thorough web search to find the best method for your version of Windows.

Please post any links or solutions you find for Windows.

Let's hope Verizon/Motorola/Google fix this soon. :confused: