Battery life tips and tricks

bigboss

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey all

So I noticed in some battery usage threads, some people are claiming crazy good battery life IMO, like 12 hours and 50% life still left. Honestly my razr is lasting me about 12 hours with moderate use... Can you guys share what settings you are currently running and tips to maximize battery life?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well there is the obveous (sp?) things to do, like screen brightness to auto, the dim display setting, 4G LTE -> 3G, Battery extender smart action is a good one too. But if you are using your phone a lot, I suggest running the display at 10-20% brightness, or even at 0%. Screen will always be the biggest consumer of battery life.

On the thunderbolt assisted dialing pulled a lot of juice, so perhaps disable that.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have display brightness widget we'd that's set to zero. here's an idea. Why the hell so you need 4g on 24/7? Use it when you need it. And lastly, this is a phone... treat it as such. don't use the damn every waking moment!

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have display brightness widget we'd that's set to zero. here's an idea. Why the hell so you need 4g on 24/7? Use it when you need it. And lastly, this is a phone... treat it as such. don't use the damn every waking moment!

To u it might be a phone. To me it's my third arm. I use my cell phone as much add I can. I use it as a computer, mp3 player, tv, social networking, movies, sex, long walks on the beach with a full moon on the horizon while the seagulls crap on my picnic........

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I would advise is since LTE is still kinda new to use it when needed. For watching Netflix out n about maybe use it. Downloading apps and whatnot, web browsing, use it.

For me, I live n work in a bad reception area. That will drain a battery for a 3G phone so you can imagine what it does for 4G. In my case, at home I'm already used to using Wifi from my Droid X1. I suspect folks in a very strong or stronger 4G area will see better battery life than someone like me.

Well there is the obveous (sp?) things to do, like screen brightness to auto, the dim display setting, 4G LTE -> 3G, Battery extender smart action is a good one too. But if you are using your phone a lot, I suggest running the display at 10-20% brightness, or even at 0%. Screen will always be the biggest consumer of battery life.

On the thunderbolt assisted dialing pulled a lot of juice, so perhaps disable that.

Yea, brightness down and dim display setting is good. I dont use auto brightness, I just set it manually or I may use a brightness widget. I've read that this type of battery doesnt need this but it seems like its gotten better since Fri, like conditioning the battery/phone for better battery life.

sj993

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I use battery extender, auto brightness, turned off animations, the usual gps/wifi/bluetooth off. 4G been on all the time, I've got 19% left after 23hr 50m.

woodyg8

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
1.The display is for sure a major battery user but you can reduce the amount of drain without setting you brightness to zero. Super amoled display use almost no power when displaying black so if you don't mind having a black background you can save a lot of battery that way.

2. Set everything that syncs to your phone to the max you can live with. If you don't need your email to sync every 15min set it for 1hr or longer.

3. Use the smart action feature to turn off cell data when connected to WiFi. ( GPS must be left on for smart action to work)

4. Use only the widgets you need. Sure having the screen full of all the information you need without having to dig for it is great but if its there for show your just burning up battery.

5. Never let you battery fully drain. This can cause damage to the battery by reducing its life cycles and its capacity. Try to keep it above 20% and fully charge whenever possible with the home charger.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
3. Use the smart action feature to turn off cell data when connected to WiFi. ( GPS must be left on for smart action to work)

This is a great idea, and one I had not thought of. I just created this, and sure enough...the 4G LTE indicator went away. I have to think this will make a big difference. I can't think of any drawback...can anyone else?

Thanks for sharing!

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

I dont believe this is necessary as the phone will automatically use Wifi for data when it is connected.

This is how you can tell.

If the 3G/4G icon is blue then you are using cell data.. however when your phone is connected to WiFi you will notice that the 3G/4G icon is now white. When the icon is white your phone is using WiFi for data and not cell data.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I dont believe this is necessary as the phone will automatically use Wifi for data when it is connected.

This is how you can tell.

If the 3G/4G icon is blue then you are using cell data.. however when your phone is connected to WiFi you will notice that the 3G/4G icon is now white. When the icon is white your phone is using WiFi for data and not cell data.

I've noticed that when the wifi icon is blue, sometimes the 3G or 4G icon pops up. When it does, it's blue as well. I would think wifi would automatically turn off cellular data, but maybe it's just running in the background or something, not so sure. And I'm wondering if the phone should deep cycle once a month by letting the battery run all the way out before fully charging. As it is now, I've been charging the phone once it's gets around 30%. I'm not big on letting it charge overnight because it stays on the charger longer than it needs to and that's not great for the battery. I'm waiting to see how the battery settles after this first week.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
To u it might be a phone. To me it's my third arm. I use my cell phone as much add I can. I use it as a computer, mp3 player, tv, social networking, movies, sex, long walks on the beach with a full moon on the horizon while the seagulls crap on my picnic........

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

I apologize. I also use it for sex.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If smart actions used GPS instead of WiFi, you would need the GPS ALWAYS active and that would more than negate any battery savings smart actions can provide.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to stick to the nighttime settings in smart actions since wifi is required for the location based stuff. Have to admit it's a little disappointing, but I still like the fact that I can set times to conserve battery life when I'm asleep. It helps out.

Agpe17

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My battery has been ABYSMAL. I've had to practically re-charge the RAZR twice TODAY.

-Wifi OFF
-Brightness OFF
-4G OFF
-No USE (I teach during the day)
-2 email accounts at 30 min. fetch
-No widgets
-ADW Launcer

From 6 am to 10 am -- went from 100%-75%. I was at 17% by 12:30 pm.

I'm stunned...

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I find myself reaching for the charger a couple times a day as well when it get's down to like 30% or so. It doesn't take long, and I'm not even close to being a power user either. I would be lying if I said I didn't see this coming though. I knew I was going to be babysitting the phone alot. I mean, smart actions was a focal point for selling the phone at the announcement. That told me that battery life was not going to be good. I can live with it, honestly. I like the phone too much to return it and charging it isn't a big problem. It would be great if the battery settled in within the next few days, though.

Agpe17

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I find myself reaching for the charger a couple times a day as well when it get's down to like 30% or so. It doesn't take long, and I'm not even close to being a power user either. I would be lying if I said I didn't see this coming though. I knew I was going to be babysitting the phone alot. I mean, smart actions was a focal point for selling the phone at the announcement. That told me that battery life was not going to be good. I can live with it, honestly. I like the phone too much to return it and charging it isn't a big problem. It would be great if the battery settled in within the next few days, though.

Hope your words ring true! If its not SOMEWHAT normal by the end of the week, I might have to return or exchange. 30% in 2 hours for an IDLE phone is uncalled for.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope it gets better quickly for you. The way you're talking about losing that much battery while it's idle, I would swear we were talking about my old Palm Pre 2.