Battery life tips and tricks

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery has been ABYSMAL. I've had to practically re-charge the RAZR twice TODAY.

-Wifi OFF
-Brightness OFF
-4G OFF
-No USE (I teach during the day)
-2 email accounts at 30 min. fetch
-No widgets
-ADW Launcer

From 6 am to 10 am -- went from 100%-75%. I was at 17% by 12:30 pm.

I'm stunned...

That was me for some of the day. Then on wifi for the majority rest. I have 18% left after almost 17 hr. Lots of texts, emails, Facebook, some phone calls, and tapatalk a plenty. I am loving this battery personally.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Freezing some apps can help too, just make sure you freeze the right ones. I have the IM app as well as slacker/lastfm, and all the verizon video/ringtone apps frozen. Even if it doesnt help, at least you get rid of some of that app drawer clutter.

rickc1015

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I have installed CPU Usage Plus to see what has been slowing my phone down, and killing my battery in the past. I tested my Razr overnight and found that in 10 hours of being on, wifi, background data enabled it only dropped 20%. However, if I actually use it, 6-12 hours at best on a charge.

Agpe17

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Brightness has ALWAYS been down to ZERO.

I don't even have 4G on and I've had to recharge TWICE today -- both down 30% in charge.

Returning this tonight...

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I don't even have 4G on and I've had to recharge TWICE today -- both down 30% in charge.

you might want to factory reset....

my phone just gets better each day.

im at 70% battery (circle battery widget)

GPS ON
Wifi ON
LTE ON
brightness Auto
sync on

with a screen on time of 1h 10min. thats better than my sgs2 was with custom battery saving rom!

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My battery life seems to be improving towards the end of this first week. I just have a few smart actions set, like turning off cellular data when on wifi. Nice to see the battery starting to settle.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

You have a rogue app or something. The reason I suggested disabling background data was for a test. That is obviously not a long term solution. Do a factory reset and then don't do anything other than setup your accounts. If battery life improves then start adding apps one at a time until you find the culprit.

woodyg8

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If smart actions used GPS instead of WiFi, you would need the GPS ALWAYS active and that would more than negate any battery savings smart actions can provide.

GPS Isn't as bad of a battery as it youse to be. Unless you have a app trying to pull your GPS location all the time it should only be turning itself on from time to time. Check your battery usage stats after having your GPS on all day long I think you'll be surprised how little its actually running.

ether813

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
For me the biggest battery saver for me is having Background Syncing Turned Off when the Display is off, during work hours...i work in front of a computer, so i dont really need it then. It may sound simple and it maybe something you could have done manually without Smart Actions but, the fact that i dont even have to think about it is a big help for me.

rickc1015

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
For me the biggest battery saver for me is having Background Syncing Turned Off when the Display is off, during work hours...i work in front of a computer, so i dont really need it then. It may sound simple and it maybe something you could have done manually without Smart Actions but, the fact that i dont even have to think about it is a big help for me.

Me too. I had to disable background sync while my screen is off and enable when the screen is on in smart actions. Two separate actions. I use exchange email set to push, and simply tap the power button to check for new mail. Phone on overnight and my battery only dropped 4% using circle widget.

FredBassett

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
any tips on what i should do with my battery the first time i charge it? I have the razr just arrived today. I'm thinking just charge it right up out of the box and then each time let it go down to 0 before i recharge again... any ideas or confirmation of my thoughts greatly appreciated

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
any tips on what i should do with my battery the first time i charge it? I have the razr just arrived today. I'm thinking just charge it right up out of the box and then each time let it go down to 0 before i recharge again... any ideas or confirmation of my thoughts greatly appreciated

Charge it up to 100% but do not let it get down to 0% and auto shut-off.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
what do you think is best to go down to? 10%?

Let it drop to 10% once a month. Charging regularly, let it drop to about 25% or 30%. The more you let the battery discharge, the more stress it creates for the battery which will cause your total battery life to decrease quicker over time (total life cycles decrease). I'd say if you can charge it at 40% on a regular basis and then do the 10% once a month thing, then that would be good. If not, then 25% or 30% would be fine.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Set up smart actions to disable the data connection when the screen is off. Took it off the charger at 7am. ITs 8pm and im at 90% with normal use.