Battery life tips and tricks

jmeyers278

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
also lithium based battery cells do not need to be discharged fully EVER!...DOD or depth of discharge is a big factor in how long a lithium battery lasts. The less DOD, the more charge cycles you will get out of the battery. Charge your phone whenever you can. At 100% DOD a lithium battery will last around 500 cycles. at 60% dod a lithium batter will last closer to 2,000 cycles. You do the math.

jzdodge

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
How do you freeze apps?
Freezing some apps can help too, just make sure you freeze the right ones. I have the IM app as well as slacker/lastfm, and all the verizon video/ringtone apps frozen. Even if it doesnt help, at least you get rid of some of that app drawer clutter.

jzdodge

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to ask.... what is smart actions?
Me too. I had to disable background sync while my screen is off and enable when the screen is on in smart actions. Two separate actions. I use exchange email set to push, and simply tap the power button to check for new mail. Phone on overnight and my battery only dropped 4% using circle widget.

mikec917

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to ask.... what is smart actions?

Smart actions is a program that is included in the Razr to help complete tasks for you when certain conditions are met. For example, turning off Cell data when connected to wifi. If you look in the app drawer it's there.

jsf119

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Smart actions is a program that is included in the Razr to help complete tasks for you when certain conditions are met. For example, turning off Cell data when connected to wifi. If you look in the app drawer it's there.

How is this different from what you can use Tasker to do? I haven't used tasker yet, but it seems like it should be able to accomplish this and more. Or, does the razr provide something unusual that you can't get on other phones even with apps like tasker or juice defender?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So, had my Razr since Tues. Hoping that I get the "my battery is better after a week" syndrome. I'm at 20% after 3 hr.15 min. Admittedly, it's been fairly constant use, what with 10 minutes of Rhapsody, 5 minutes of Mobile Hotspot, frequent FB checking, and downloading a couple of toggle apps from Market (you can probably guess what they are!).

I was hoping for a little better. But, I will plan a little better as well, especially since I'll be using Mobile Hotspot at home a lot. I just wanted to see what the battery usage was like, so I left it off the charger. I'll be keeping it on the charger when at home. I think I'm going to disable 4g whenever I'm shopping mundane things like checking FB or streaming Rhapsody (unless I'm getting a lot of buffering

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
also lithium based battery cells do not need to be discharged fully EVER!...DOD or depth of discharge is a big factor in how long a lithium battery lasts. The less DOD, the more charge cycles you will get out of the battery. Charge your phone whenever you can. At 100% DOD a lithium battery will last around 500 cycles. at 60% dod a lithium batter will last closer to 2,000 cycles. You do the math.

The math is a little misleading since you will obviously recharge more often if you don't let it discharge as much.
I'm not good enough with math to figure out the breakeven point, but it seems to me that you'd at the very least be recharging twice as often in the former scenario. So that cuts the gap by half. Right? I get your point though.

Gmanmonster

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered that my live wallpaper was the reason for my rapid battery drain.

I had installed the Galactic Core (Donation version) live wallpaper
Kittehface Software

While looking at my top battery users, it didn't show the wallpaper, just that the Android OS was using 75% of my battery.

I turned off the wallpaper a couple hours before planning to head to the Verizon store to complain about poor battery life, but when I went to check my phone (which was losing 10% life per hour at Idle) it was still at full charge. I decided to give it another couple days before suffering the Verizon tech desk.

In a test, I left my phone off the charger over-nite and it still had 60% battery left this morning. Most times if I forget to charge my phone it is completely dead in the morning.

Looks good! Plus, it charges much more rapidly than when I had the wallpaper running.

I don't know if all live wallpapers will cause this issue or just the one I purchased

debblr#CB

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe its all the live wallpapers. It really sucks we cantget the sprinkles on top of the ice scream

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What is battery extender and what does it do?
Battery Extender is one of many apps available to help manage your battery life by means of controlling your device in certain ways. What does that mean exactly? It could mean aid in closing down applications and various other settings that are available.

I have not personally used it because most people will agree that task killers or battery saver apps (Juice Defender/Battery Extender, etc) are usually more problems than they are worth in the long run.

People have had problems with existing apps not gelling well once these apps are put into play and other numerous reports of weird things happening..

Some people do swear by them, so I can't say they are completely useless....

Bottom line.. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) with these types of apps.

anon(96159)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That was me for some of the day. Then on wifi for the majority rest. I have 18% left after almost 17 hr. Lots of texts, emails, Facebook, some phone calls, and tapatalk a plenty. I am loving this battery personally.

How did you guys get 18%?
Doesn't the increments go by 10%?

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
My Revolution using battery widget gauge would do single increments which I liked but same one on Razr is in 10% increments which I dont like so maybe someone will tell us how or which app to use

Battery Indicator Pro has a 1% increment hack built in.

Garumn

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Abyssmal battery life here - I had installed the Golf Logix app for use as a GPS device during a round of golf. After pulling off the charger and heading to the range at 100%, I was at 5% on the 9th fairway after only 1 hour and 40 minutes. Absolutely atrocious.:'(

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
How is this different from what you can use Tasker to do? I haven't used tasker yet, but it seems like it should be able to accomplish this and more. Or, does the razr provide something unusual that you can't get on other phones even with apps like tasker or juice defender?

Smart Actions is (to me) a free, pre-installed lite version of Tasker. I think Tasker has more triggers and actions, and is more powerful, but I don't know, I haven't purchased it. The thing I need most from Tasker, I have basically achieved with Smart Actions: extend battery life without rooting the phone.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
On a RAZR, where do I turn off 3G/4G? I have options to turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, but I've can't find a toggle for 3G/4G. Thx.

Underneath "data usage" there is in option for "more". Click on more and then click on mobile networks. After that, uncheck the box for data enabled.