Verizon LTE Phone Dropping Connections

yoinks

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Bought a new Razr today, and I really want to like this phone. It's extremely nice. However, every few minutes, it will go from 3 LTE bars to 4 3G bars, and then it drops the connection altogether.

Anyone else experiencing this? I've been reading about various other Verizon LTE devices having this issue for a few months. Had I known about it, I absolutely would not have gone w/ Verizon (from AT&T). I'm very surprised this issue hasn't gotten more press.

Not really sure what to do about it.

revelated

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not the norm. While I do observe an occasional drop to 3G, it's the exception rather than the norm. Happens commonly if I'm driving on certain city streets in mountain areas. I do know that 4G in general does not like mountains. Unfortunately the nicer areas are always in or near mountain areas which is where I choose to live for now.

I have the Bionic and the RAZR. I haven't had the RAZR long enough to make a solid assertion, but the Bionic will drop signal completely. I've had it since its launch date and it's an otherwise ok device.

Don't think Verizon's network is to blame. I think that the 4G LTE phones currently out don't really handle the two networks properly unless you're in a strong 4G area. At home (Where I don't need it), the phone will maintain 4G constantly. Drive 20 feet out into the parking area, and it will drop to 3G.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My phone goes back and forth between 3G and 4G on a regular basis, but tends to stay on 4G more often than not. Sometimes it will lose connection, but kicks back on after a second. These LTE phones are still in their early stages, so it doesn't bother me too much. It's still worth having a 4G phone in my opinion.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is a problem for me too. Since I am on WiFi most of the day, I have set it to stay on 3G all of the time. 4G is not that big of a deal to me. Pissed it doesn't work flawlessly, but I can deal until we get an update.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I will confirm some of this signal dropping behavior. My friend purchased a Razr last Saturday and I had a few hours to compare it side by side with my Thunderbolt. The comparison occurred at my friend's house where LTE and 3g signals are pretty weak, especially compared to the surrounding areas. I observed my Thunderbolt holding an LTE signal consistently, though up/down speeds were severely reduced. My friend's Razr could barely hold a 3g signal and often dropped to 1x or no connection at all. It's reception was definitely weaker than that of my Thunderbolt. Both phones were stock, no rooting or whatnot that would affect comparability.

rprete7686

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Theres a few posts about this issue with some info in them.

Its a problem across all of VZW's 4g Phones (Anyone that says a certain phone doesn't have the issue is either super lucky or a liar) A fix is on the way this month for Moto, I am unsure about the other Manufactures. I Hardly ever experience it on my Razr compared to my bionic and other LTE Phones..

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
This has been a common issue on all three of my LTE devices (T-Bolt, Bionic, Razr).

Verizon knows that it is half a network issue (LTE repeaters and handset radios) and half a software issue.
Apparently they are working on it.

LTE is still very new for Verizon. I'm still content with my trusty old Droid X2. Never really loses a data connection and it's not too far off from the the Razr. Although I really love the Super amoled advanced screen on the RAZR and the HDMI out.

Next software update should improve the daily connection losses.

jdtftp1

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
its happening to my Razr A LOT!! I try to open facebook and i would say probably 60% of time it drops all connection. I am getting very irritated by this. Phone went on craigslist already.. And VZW also told me they havent heard of any other people with the issue.. Right. I even did factory reset and redownloaded all my stuff. Still doing it.

yoinks

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to give a quick update. I ended up swapping the phone for another Razr. Interestingly, not having any connectivity issues I was having before. Back to loving the phone. I hope others are having similar success...

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my new razr. And to the person that said that this is a problem with all lte phones, its not.my thunderbolt, which my wife is using now, holds 4g with no problem.when I compared them side by side the thunderbolt had full 4g signal while the razr was doping to 3g. So far u am not impressed with the phone. I'll be returning it for the galaxy nexus when it is released for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance