New to Android and the RAZR. Questions out the ying yang!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys and gals....

I am new to Android and the RAZR - just started using it today after being with Blackberry for the past four years. I'm still not convinced that this device is for me and feel things should operate on the RAZR like I'm used to with BB....:D

Here are a few questions - so far anyway:

1. Is there a way or an app where I can assign different color LED notifications? I did a test call to the device and see green is a missed call. I'd like to be able to set up distinguishable notifications for email, messages, etc.

2. How long does the LED flash after the missed call, message, etc?

3. Can I assign specific ring tones to specific contacts? There is a lot of default ring tones but I'd like to use MP3's.

4. What chat app is more like using Blackberry Messenger? Any good ones - either free or paid?

5. Any "must have" apps that would make the transition from a BB any easier?

Thanks for any response/help. :)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Im not a Droid Razr owner, sadly. But I do own the Droid 3, and they mostly the same phone.

1. I honestly don't think you can, as far as I know:
  • Green = Missed Call
  • Green = New Message / Email
  • Red = Low Battery
2. It doesn't turn off till you check the Message/Email/ect...
3. You can take any choice of MP3's from you music application to use them as your ringtone, maybe on the Razr you can, I cant find it. (Unable to confirm)
4. gTalk.
5. I'm not sure on this one.
Maybe someone else can answer.

This page may help a little more.

I hope you enjoy your new Droid Razr! :)

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have my Razr since day one. To answer your questions:
1- I use Handcent for my SMS and there you can set the color for sms messages.

2- Until you check your Notification bar and clear it.

3- Go to contacts, Pick the contact you want a special ringtone for, press menu and select options.

4 and 5 cannot respond to.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
5- download amazon app store and download free apps a day and also on the android market download every top 20 apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jodigurl

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The LED should flash until you clear the notification in the drop down or you respond to it.

You can def assign a ringtone to them either by going to the music app and then clicking the sing and pushing menu (shoul dbe a spot where you can edit) (if not Zedge <andriod market> is AWESOME for that!)

As for a BBM style messenger... Google talk (it doesn't show you D/R) but you can use it on the computer as well on the iGoogle page... add it to your iGoogle home page apps... I like google chat because it goes off of the wifi or the data dependign on if wifi is available and there really isn't a lag.
Whatsapp seems to be ok... there is also LiveProfile which is almost identical to BBM excpet it goes across all platform (iPhone/Blackberry/Android)

I also was a die hard BB fan where i could customize EVERYTHING on my phone in the form of themes... So when i came to android i was kinda disappointed... then i found
Launcher Pro and
Openhome and
Better Keyboard and
GoSMS (the themes on your messanger app can be super customized)
Weather And Toggle widgets allow me to get some pretty cool custom clocks... (i still have my HTC phone so i don't use the Launcher Pro or openhome because i like the HTC sense UI, but i have been looking at the Razr since i heard it was a potential real phone)
I spend some good time looking for images that rock for my wallpaper and have downloaded a few apps for fonts packages... just search (font packages)...

i will say this about GoSMS... it is pretty darn awesome... you can do SOOOOOOO much with it... you can send video/audio/pics/actual drawings that you do in the app itself... no need to go to several different spots for each one... there are some killer themes for it too and you can create your own... GoSMS is the best app that i have used for texts... i have used chomp/handsent/the native app...

I hope i answered your questions to your liking... :D

Reactions: ibcop

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I use a free app called Ringdroid to create music ringtones from MP3's. It's done right on the phone and is really quick, slick and easy.

samj732

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
#3. I use ringdroid to create my own ringtones, and then Ringo to set them. There aren't as many options (in the free version at least, there is a paid version with more) but I tried handcent and didn't like it. With Ringo I can set different custom ring and text tones for all my contacts which is exactly what I wanted. The paid version of Ringo says you can set different LED notifications too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan