My first review- Droid Razr

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Due to extreme boredom at work I've decided to take a shot at a product review. So here it is my official review of the Motorola Droid Razr.

After reading many bad reviews and going against my own initial choice of the HTC Rezound I decided to take a leap and pick up the Droid Razr. To say this phone is sharp is an understatement ( see what I did there? Sharp. Razr... Ok i'm done I swear) The phone is amazingly thin and very light weight. Some may find the phones width a little odd to hold but its something you get used to over time. One thing I found is that for a phone this thin the over all build quality is a step above the competition. The back is a soft touch piece of kevlar with a nice black and grey pattern. The screens glass is cut to look edged which adds a bit elegance to the shape. The screen is a very impressive quarter hd super amoled advanced screen made by Samsung. Colors are vibrant, contrast is amazing with blacks being jet black and not washed out like lcd screens. I find super amoled to be second to none on a mobile phone. Another note on the screen is that it is made of Gorilla glass. (check out peoples YouTube videos for scratch tests) lastly on the build of the phone is the splash resistant nano coating protecting the insides.... i'm not testing that lol. Motorola really went all out on the rebirth of the Razr. As for the software, I was worried about using a phone with Motoblur due to the fact that it used to slow down whatever phone it was on. Blur has been stripped down to a very subtle user interface that is very fast and manages to keep a considerable amount of eye candy. Driving Android gingerbread version 2.3.5 (It will be getting 4.0 ice cream sandwich in early 2012) is a very fast 1.2ghz dual core processor and a full gigabyte of ram. As for storage you get 8 gigabytes of internal storage and a little under 3 gigabytes of application storage. The Razr includes a 16 gigabyte micro sd card for additional storage. Moving on to the camera, this is the other area reviewers knocked the phone. Yes in really low light it fails to take quality pictures. This is however a cell phone. Not a dslr camera. I found in adequate lighting the pictures were sharp and colors were accurate. I have attached links to sample pics.http://db.tt/zkVeIwzPhttp://db.tt/LGWBZhAX The camera is also capable of recording full 1080p high definition. The front facing camera is a very nice 2 megapixel camera that can record or video chat in full 720p hd. Another feature that seems to be coming standard on a lot of Motorola devices is a micro hdmi output which I frequently use for streaming Netflix on my hdtv. Last but not least is call quality and data connectivity. After all this is a phone first and foremost. Reception is probably the best I've ever gotten on a smart phone. I have yet to get no service or even dip to below 2 bars. This includes going inside places like Walmart. Calls come through loud and clear with almost no distortion and the speaker phone is loud and clear. As for data I get very good speeds on 3g and often don't bother using wifi which speaks a lot for the phone. To wrap up my review I have never been a fan of motorola and often had numerous issues with many models, however I can't deny they have some of the most solid phones build wise and they have redeemed themselves with the Droid Razr. If your holding on to a phone upgrade you won't regret getting the Razr. Only phone that I think will outshine it is the Galaxy Nexus. With the Rezound by HTC coming in close

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the review. Look for my review of the Galaxy Nexus as soon as it gets a solid release date :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Well said. I, too, cannot say enough good things about the overall quality of this. Moto built another brick, albeit a wee skinny and lightweight one. But it is rock solid. It is large on the width, and the only sort of hardware aggravation is that when charging, with the connection at the top, the cord is in the way! But I do prefer the 'handle' at the top for grabbing out of the pocket. And frankly, now seeing ICS and GB, I'm darned happy to have HoneyComb. I like a Menu button! I don't get why that's going away, since it's the third most used button I have, after Back and Home. Ah well. I cannot believe that the Samsung phone will have anything near this build quality, and will likely feel like a cheap, plastic, Samsung phone. That likely looks fantastic, of course!

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan of of Samsungs build quality by any means. Just wish they would let HTC or Motorola make a nexus. I want pure google :/ lol

Amfibius

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The only phone companies that can come close to Apple in terms of build quality are Motorola and Nokia. Since the RAZR flip phone, all Motorola's have had disappointing build. I have owned Moto's nearly all my life and most of them have been really solid - who remembers the aluminum clamshell V60? It's good to see the RAZR go back to Motorola's roots.

wnflyer

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am in total agreement with the reviewer. I have owned an OG Droid, Incredible, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Droid 3, Incredible 2 and now the RAZR (I do get bored but I have had the same wife for 20+ years). Except for the RAZR, I have rooted and ROM'd all of my listed phones. My wife had a Fascinate and I did use that on occasion. Of all the phones, rooting and romming, I would have to say that the stock RAZR is the best! For a phone that I picked up on day one, it is nearly perfect, right out of the box.

I am curious about the Galaxy Nexus. I like pure Google, however I'm not a big fan of the Samsung hardware. The biggest thing that Google is pushing in the GN advertising is ICS. ICS is the latest, greatest software, I get it. I look forward to using it. However if you look 3-6 months down the road when ICS is on most of the latest/greatest hardware, I'm wondering if I'll regret the feel of a Samsung phone with mediocre call quality (as the o.p. stated, the RAZR call quality is the best that I've experienced). I look forward to the MOTO Nexus, or whatever they decide to call it.

wnflyer

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I dismiss much of what reviewers say because of the limited time that most of them have to evaluate a phone. Kudos to the AC staff (usually Phil N.) for using a phone for a number of days before giving a thorough review (he's a good man, and thorough [Big Lebowski ref.]).

Last edited:

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Also to add to my review motorola gets huge kudus for giving you the ability to long press an app in the app tray and hide it. Now I don't have to see all the Verizon bloatware. Great feature!