Charger/cable question

tkz4

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
A few tech questions about getting extra chargers and charging/ sync cables for my Razr:

1. Please tell me the power delivered to the Razr in different charging settings:

-Stock wall charger: 750ma?
-USB 2.0 port
-USB 3.0 port
-OEM car charger

2. What is the minimum power requirement from a charger in order to run various settings while plugged in without the battery discharging:

-4G
-phone call
-HDMI out

3. Will any microUSB-USB cable work, or are their special ones that allow for faster charging (higher ma throughput)?

-For example, we have a 6ft microUSB cord with our Kindle3 that is thinner than the one that came with the Razr. Will this allow for full power transfer to the Razr in all settings, or is there a particular type of microUSB cord that I need to buy if need a longer cord?

4. Is there any harm if I use my Razr wall charger to charge my Kindle? Does it put out too many ma?

BTW, I bought a cheap $12 1900ma (discharges at 500ma) portable power source. It only weighs 2 oz and works well so far for basic recharging.

tkz4

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is the link to my cheap 1900ma battery back-up:

Micro-USB Portable Emergency Charger For Cell Phones, Bluetooth Headsets - BlackBerry Torch 9810

microusbackup.jpg

Only have used it a couple of times... I let you know if it does not hold up. I do like the fact that it plugs into the top of the phone and is small enough that you can continue to use the phone while it is recharging.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the exact stats but I will say this, my wall charger I had from my HTC Incredible does not put out enough power to charge the RAZR. Neither does my wife's blackberry charger or my Nook charger. The only chargers I have that will move the battery % up is the one that came with the RAZR and the 1A car charger I purchased.

tkz4

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Wanted to give some f/u:

Installed a power monitor (power tutor.) I'm not sure if it is working perfectly, since it seems to max out 3G and 4G at 600mV. Overall it says my power usage is about 450mV with only the screen on. The power jumps as high at 1500mV streaming 3G, 4G and WIFI for Slingplayer or megavideo via Dolphin HD.

The fact that the mV usage is about the same from all sources suggests that the monitor is maxed out. Does anyone else have a better real time voltage monitor?

The good news is that when plugged into the charger the batter actually charges while streaming. That is the best news, since it means I can watch movies using the Razr while plugged in without worrying about the battery. I just have to make sure the phone does not get too hot (also to protect the battery.)

Last edited:

dashiel

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I use two chargers. Downstairs I use the charger that came with my EVO 4g. Upstairs I use the charger that came with my two year old Kindle (has a really long cord). Both will allow me to stream without any battery loss. I also have a charger on a computer USB port. This one will charge but is much slower than the other two. I haven't even unwrapped the one that came with the Razr.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My RAZR doesn't like HTC chargers; won't charge worth a damn with those things. I use the charger that came with the phone, a charger that I think came from my LG Dare from long ago lol and my car charger which seems to work well too.

Last edited:

tkz4

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been using my Kindle 3 charger. It is rated similarly to the Razr charher and I too like that it has a longer and thinner cord. That was the charge I used to test whether streaming wore down the battery while plugged in.

IIRC the USB port on a computer will only output 500mA (for USB 2.0), which is less than the 850mA the Razr and Kindle chargers output. While car chargers often are rated at 1000mA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood