12-19-2012 09:34 AM
41 12
tools
    In forums you tend to hear from only those with issues, now it's time for the "silent" majority....

I've had random reboot issues since day 1. I've done numerous things like factory reset, not loading third party apps, etc. I've even spent time on the Motorola company forum and took the time to send their engineering department a pile of CatLog outputs prior to reboots to try to actively help. I was thanked by the moderators who had sent them on to engineering, but they nor I ever got a response from engineering.

By the way - the log outputs (as I read them) pointed to the dalvik VM running out of memory (even after collecting garbage) causing the core services to cascade-fail until the phone rebooted. No one app seemed to be a culprit, and there is plenty of free memory on the phone prior to the crash.

Today after 6 reboots, I'm nearly at switching to another device (went to play with choice B: Rezound). BUT I am curious if anyone has been running trouble free or solved the problem themselves. If you have never had a random reboot, can you give us an idea how you use your Razr (how many apps, how heavy do you use the phone, are you in a 4G area, etc.).

I'm very curious....
    11-30-2011 06:45 PM
    None, I got my phone Nov 11. On another forum someone had reboots while watching Netflix connected to hdmi. I haven't yet.
    11-30-2011 06:55 PM
    Why don't you just get another RAZR?

Mine rebooted once within the first couple days and it hasn't done it ever since. The only thing that worried me a little happened a couple days ago. I came to turn the screen on and unlock it and noticed that the screen was unresponsive. No matter what I did, it would not respond. So I did a reset (power button + volume down) and it started working after that.
    11-30-2011 06:56 PM
    Try removing the sd card and see if that helps. As far as any other problems, none. I just have good luck with phones, electronics in general.
    11-30-2011 06:57 PM
    Why don't you just get another RAZR?
    Thought about that, and I guess that choice is another reason I started this thread... The reboot issue seems widespread enough that I'm not sure swapping to another of the same phone is the answer. I'm not (wasn't) sure how widespread...

I know all Android phones do have occasional reboots, usually due to third party apps, but this model is doing it regularly within 14 days of purchase for a lot of people.
    11-30-2011 07:12 PM
    I've haven't had a single random reboot since the day I got it.
    11-30-2011 07:16 PM
    I have about 25 or 30 apps, and I user the phone a ton. Car dock, desk dock, two exchange servers syncing, 4 other email accounts (2 google, 2 other), Google Voice, web browsing, bluetooth, web top...I would say I use the phone almost to the max.

I have NEVER had a reboot and I got the phone right on 11.11.

Exchange it.
    11-30-2011 09:07 PM
    Never had any reboots. Phone has been flawless and rock solid since purchase on release day.
    11-30-2011 09:12 PM
    Not a single reboot. I've had mine since the 21st.
    11-30-2011 09:15 PM
    Its like this...

Before I got the Droid 1...I read up on the infamous mute issue it was having. Huge thread in Motorola's forums. It didnt stop me from getting it and I may have actually had it. Either an update fixed it or it just went away but it never came back.

The reboots...like with the Bionic might be an update away from being fixed. Do what you feel is best for you. The T Bolt was a disaster IMO when it first launched. Some updates under its belt and its a pretty nice phone.

Didnt read your first post all the way, was on my phone when I first posted.

I'm in a weaker 4G area. I know of some areas near my that have better coverage. I have downloaded 57 apps, some benchmarks apps, games, tools.

My use is unique because I live n work in a bad reception area...I micro manage my 3G/4G to save battery life. Been doing it since last year with the Droid X1. At times at work I can play games alot, I use 3G/4G here n there while at work. Most of the day is spent in Airplane Mode.

At home I'm on Wifi. Since my apt is a virtual dead zone I need Wifi. And at home I use Netflix here n there, play games here n there.

The weekends I can be a heavy user of everything - games, 3G/4G, GPS, etc.

I had no reboots yet. I just remembered something tho....using GPS interfered with my 3G/4G one time. I remember on my Droid X1 GPS messed it up so bad I had to do a factory reset to fix it.
    11-30-2011 09:17 PM
    Have not had any reboots, have had since 11.11
    11-30-2011 09:18 PM
    No reboots. Just data locking up after being on 4g for awhile.
    11-30-2011 09:18 PM
    I am having the same issue phone locks up then reboots had it for a week I use it alot. Lot of pics music apps etc ill probably go get a new one just cause I like the phone an it cost so much that its worth worrying the retailer cause it had been rebooted which sucks cause it takes at least two hours to get back linked right let me know what you decide to do.
    11-30-2011 10:01 PM
    I have had 3 reboot since the 10th of November. Not acceptable, but definitely not going to change devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    11-30-2011 10:16 PM
    The first reboot I remember was shortly after I tried using a smart action for the first time. I set an action to turn off wireless data if connected to WiFi.

After a couple of reboots, I removed that action (the only one).

Is anyone not having reboots but using smart actions?
    12-01-2011 12:04 AM
    I use Smart Actions extensively, as well as every other feature on the phone.

No reboots.

12-01-2011 12:09 AM
    Owned my RAZR for a week. No problems here.
    12-01-2011 02:43 AM
    Had this baby since day 1 minute 1 customer #001... no reboots. freezes. Latency etc... nada!

Sounds like you may have gotten a factory dud... just exchange for a new razr

12-01-2011 03:26 AM
    Also not having issues, reboots with Smart Actions. One thing I did notice with Smart Actions....I dont have them all enabled at the same time. I choose to use one at a time for the ones dealing with enabling/disabling data, wifi, etc until I can find a good setup to enable them all or more than 1 at a time.

Some of them said Conflict....I didnt check to see what this mean yet.
    12-01-2011 06:00 AM
    Never had a reboot. I'm rooted and froze a bunch of crap though.

12-01-2011 08:23 AM
    No problems at all (or none that I'm aware of). I'm a pre-order with moderate use and lots of apps installed. 4G area.
    12-01-2011 01:35 PM
    No reboots
    12-01-2011 01:39 PM
    NO random reboots so far! ( hope it stays that way) Only problem I had was screen glitching.. went to verizon store tested 3 others, they all did it. ( put your bookmark widget on your main home screen, then hit home to go to the screen previews, then hit home again.. repeat a few times and you will see that bookmark widget flicker all weird like..) But thats it for me so far.
    The black splotchy stuff is not visible on my phone during normal use.. have to really hunt for it in the dark so that is a non issue for me as well.
    12-01-2011 08:57 PM
    I started having random reboots after about a week, so I factory reset, then loaded only a few apps and now no more reboots...things I stopped using was motocast, facebook, facebook account for contacts/images, easy tether, maybe a few more....but no more reboots.
    12-04-2011 12:37 AM
    About 60 apps loaded, around one week of heavy daily use, no reboots (fingers crossed).
    12-05-2011 08:29 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD