Phone Constantly Saying "Can't Find Your Location..."

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Every so often, usually upon waking my phone, I get a little blue notification that pops up on my screen saying "Can't Find Your Location..." I have GPS turned off all the time, unless I need it, and I'm pretty sure I went through each and every app I have and turned off all location services. But I can't for the life of me get it to quit popping up with this notification.

Has anyone else had this issue? And/or does anyone know how to fix it? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I really love this phone besides this.

zeiss74

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
i just noticed this problem myself yesterday (and found this thread by searching). i don't have location or GPS on, but i never do.

it's probably happened 4-5 times in the past couple days. it goes away after 2 seconds with no explanation.

i have a thunderbolt, running 2.3.4.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. Two totally different phones. I wonder if it's something that has to do with the service outage. I haven't noticed in basically since I posted this thread. If anyone can shed some light, it would definitely be appreciated.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I notice this happens to me when I don't have Google services checked under location and security. I tried to just run with VZW services for a day or two and I started getting that message. I switched back to Google services and I've yet to see that message again.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I notice this happens to me when I don't have Google services checked under location and security. I tried to just run with VZW services for a day or two and I started getting that message. I switched back to Google services and I've yet to see that message again.

Weird. I just tried that and almost immediately got that message when I opened up the Market. I hadn't got it since yesterday until this point. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's slightly annoying. I guess my search goes on.

GalaxyMan5

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Having the exact same issue myself! It only began around the time of the 10c sale, so I think an app we bought and downloaded must keep on requesting our location. If it's any help, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and really want to get to the bottom of this. Could you possibly post up the list of what apps, if any, you bought during that sale? I'll do the same asap :).

anon1337

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, found this topic the other day while looking for a solution to this problem (happened the same way, the 10 billion promo. and bought almost all 10c apps), so I ended up asking on reddit.

Another user told me about the app aSpotCat, which allows to filter the apps installed on your system by permission, so I installed it and started uninstalling apps that uses the GPS.

Turns out it was the "HD Widgets". Even if you aren't using it it will keep trying to find your location for the weather widget. You can prevent this setting your location manually.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, found this topic the other day while looking for a solution to this problem (happened the same way, the 10 billion promo. and bought almost all 10c apps), so I ended up asking on reddit.

Another user told me about the app aSpotCat, which allows to filter the apps installed on your system by permission, so I installed it and started uninstalling apps that uses the GPS.

Turns out it was the "HD Widgets". Even if you aren't using it it will keep trying to find your location for the weather widget. You can prevent this setting your location manually.

I went through each and every app and stopped the location permissions, so I haven't seen it in awhile. But I did download HD Widgets, so I'm sure that was the culprit (even though I wasn't using it).

Thanks for the info!