Need some help with Razr problems- switched from Gnex

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So I have been here and there, had this and that and enjoyed most phones I have owned, this however is not a "Razr vs Galaxy Nexus" thread. I just happen to be someone who switched from the Galaxy Nexus to the Razr and am having some issues and am looking for some help.

I picked the phone up before work and didn't have a chance to use it until I got to work and my experience at work was slightly disappointing to say the least, one of the biggest complaints I had with AT&T and my 4S was that I didn't have a data connection at work, so I switched over to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus (more on this later).

Well the Razr seemed a bit strange today, it seemed as though I would go from three bars of 4G to full service of 3G, the issue being that this process took 20 minutes with the phone being unusable in the meantime. The other issue I faced was that my data connection was almost none existent. If I loaded up a website the front page would load but clicking a link woild either do nothing or would load a blank page. The most concerning part seemed to be that if I closed the browser or just switched to another task not only would I lose any background tabs but the phone would take the tab I was on back to the Google home page. Shouldn't the phone remember what website I was on instead of the browser resetting every time I go to another task?

My most concerning issue, which I'm not sure if it's specific to my device or is a Razr thing, is that upon looking at the screen head on the text entry field (white) has a yellow tinge and the grey buttons surrounding the keyboard are seriously yellowish. The strangest part is that if I tilt the phone either left to right or up and down all yellow tinge goes away and the display/picture looks incredible. What in the world?!?!?

I'm also now having issues remaining connected to my wifi network at home (works and then remains connected but no data transfer until its shut off and turned back on)

For the record I understand Verizon has had issues lately and am wondering if this is a lingering issue. My galaxy nexus averaged less bars but would switch between 3G and 4G almost instantly and was very speedy connection wise even with less bars (on 4G) .

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Two things:

1. Did you get the software update to System Version 6.11.748 yet?

If not you should manually download it in Settings > About Phone > System Updates

2. Power down the phone and remove your SIM card for 30 seconds to a minute and then re insert it

See if that helps at all.

3. How long was the phone activated before using it? 4G phones sometimes take longer for them to fully activate than normal. I've seen cases where it is a couple hours before the data connection was what I would consider "normal"

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am currently updated and have tried a factory reset, connection seems to be better here at home but I am giving it some time before I can say for sure. Wifi still seems to not work.

The more I look at the screen at an angle the more I realize how terrible it looks straight on, is this normal?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Since I dont have a yellow tint like that and my Wifi is rock solid....I say it might need to be exchanged.

Verizon's network has had issues lately, so its kinda hard to pinpoint any network, data related issues right now. FWIW, my phone reception for calls has been better since the update. I live n work in a bad reception area, and my apt is almost a dead zone. I still cant get data good in my apt. and out front its 9Mbps down, 6-9Mbps up.

If you do get the update, for some insane reason my data was turned off after I updated. I had to go in and manually turn it back on. In Settings/Data Manager and check to see if Data enabled is checked. Some ppl said Smart Actions might have went haywire after the update.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what made you switch from the GN to the Razr? Was it purely for the better Radio or other reasons?

Been thinking of the same thing since coming to terms with poor reception issues.

jtlapp69

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm not having any of those issues. 3G/4G switch is fast, though I don't know if I've tried to make a phone call in that short (instantaneous?) window. Screen is beautiful from all angles, with no strange coloring, other than the oft-maligned greenish background when dimming. I just checked my browser too, but it keeps all my different "windows" when I task switch and doesn't reset the current one when I return to it. It picks up wifi and is data-ready in seconds. I can't imagine what could be causing all those problems.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well the nexus is the superior phone without a doubt in both hardware and software. I know people are having data issues with the nexus but this has happened with every lte device when Verizon first launches it but gets straightened out in the near future. Not to mention like previously stated Verizon's network has been borked lately so your razr might have issues because of this reason. As far as the screen goes while the razr screen is definitely better than previous Motorola devices it's still pretty bad. I'm not sure why Motorola insists on using crappy screens but then again they make a lot of questionable choices with their products (like completely slaughtering Android with Motoblur and encrypting bootloaders). If you compare the display on the razr to other devices on Verizon such as the rezound, the charge, the nexus and so on you'll clearly see that it's not just your device. Anyone who says otherwise is simply trying to justify their purchase or is a Motorola fanboy. Like I said before I've had pretty much every lte device on Verizon so I am not loyal to one OEM. I just speak the truth about each devices flaws. Either way I'm not too sure why you returned the nexus for a razr but I guess to each their own.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I am currently updated and have tried a factory reset, connection seems to be better here at home but I am giving it some time before I can say for sure. Wifi still seems to not work.

The more I look at the screen at an angle the more I realize how terrible it looks straight on, is this normal?

I didnt have the issue with data being shut off but have read that it was an issue for others. As for the screen you would need to describe what you mean by terrible. Can you describe it?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the nexus is the superior phone without a doubt in both hardware and software. I know people are having data issues with the nexus but this has happened with every lte device when Verizon first launches it but gets straightened out in the near future. Not to mention like previously stated Verizon's network has been borked lately so your razr might have issues because of this reason. As far as the screen goes while the razr screen is definitely better than previous Motorola devices it's still pretty bad. I'm not sure why Motorola insists on using crappy screens but then again they make a lot of questionable choices with their products (like completely slaughtering Android with Motoblur and encrypting bootloaders). If you compare the display on the razr to other devices on Verizon such as the rezound, the charge, the nexus and so on you'll clearly see that it's not just your device. Anyone who says otherwise is simply trying to justify their purchase or is a Motorola fanboy. Like I said before I've had pretty much every lte device on Verizon so I am not loyal to one OEM. I just speak the truth about each devices flaws. Either way I'm not too sure why you returned the nexus for a razr but I guess to each their own.

I have a Rezound, RAZR, and Nexus here and the difference is barely noticeable and honestly unless I look real closely I don't. It's not as vibrant as the Fascinate or GSII which is similar to the Charge but I actually think the colors of the S Amoled seem to bleed too much and over time hurt my eyes in a dark room.

Reactions: jroc

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow...lol.where do I begin.... I wasnt gonna break the post up but there is just so much to respond too...

Well the nexus is the superior phone without a doubt in both hardware and software.

Opinion. I suggest you really spend time in both RAZR and G Nex forums sections at different sites. Really read reviews of each phone. The G Nex isnt clearly superior without a doubt. Oh...there is doubt...both are good phones, both have pros n cons. Some of us need to remember this with all these devices.

I know people are having data issues with the nexus but this has happened with every lte device when Verizon first launches it but gets straightened out in the near future. Not to mention like previously stated Verizon's network has been borked lately so your razr might have issues because of this reason. As far as the screen goes while the razr screen is definitely better than previous Motorola devices it's still pretty bad.

Opinion again. Like stated above and stated numerous times in numerous forums at numerous sites, it depends on the person. You would be surprised there are some ppl that see the Pentile issue with the G Nex...and it bothers them....shocking isnt it? And I saw the Bionic screen....and its no where near as bad as some ppl make it as far as Pentile is concerned. There is also a sparkly, glittery thing going on with the G Nex screen....I noticed that immediately when I first saw it. No screen or phone is perfect. Even the mighty G Nex screen.

I'm not sure why Motorola insists on using crappy screens but then again they make a lot of questionable choices with their products (like completely slaughtering Android with Motoblur and encrypting bootloaders).

Opinion about the screens....and When you say slaughter...I think you are confusing Moto with HTC. You do realize that Blur is the closest custom UI to stock Android than all the others? Someone said it perfectly the other day...pretty soon any phone running Sense UI will be running a completely different OS. And the bootloader effects how many ppl? Exactly.... Not to mention HTC is tryiong to catch up with Moto and the bootloader issue. Funny since HTC was the first to release an Android phone and actual Android dev phones were/are made by HTC...the ADP 1 and 2.

If you compare the display on the razr to other devices on Verizon such as the rezound, the charge, the nexus and so on you'll clearly see that it's not just your device. Anyone who says otherwise is simply trying to justify their purchase or is a Motorola fanboy.

See comment I made above....and for whats its worth....you come off like a G Nex fanboy....starting with the first sentence....oh well...

Like I said before I've had pretty much every lte device on Verizon so I am not loyal to one OEM. I just speak the truth about each devices flaws. Either way I'm not too sure why you returned the nexus for a razr but I guess to each their own.

See post above about sounding like a fanboy...Ok....so what flaws does the G Nex have besides the signal fiasco going on right now since like you said you speak the truth about each device flaws...? Like I said, really spend some time in different G Nex sections...you would be surprised that not everyone is head over heels in love with the G Nex. Case in point...this thread...

Another thing....some folks that arent getting good reception while actually using the phone were probably spoiled by using Moto phones and their reputation for good to great reception. And other phones that did ok in the reception dept. too. Samsung and weak reception has been with them since before Android came out. This is nothing new....

Last edited:

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This turned into a Razr vs GN thread real fast. Why can't GN owners stay out of a thread that specifically states that this isn't a "versus" thread?

Back on topic though.....

Next time you're at work, try disabling 4G and see what happens. That may help you determine if the problem is the phone or the location.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This turned into a Razr vs GN thread real fast. Why can't GN owners stay out of a thread that specifically states that this isn't a "versus" thread?

I own a Nexus and IMO I think the reason Nexus owners show up so frequently in other device forums is because deep down they admit that this phone is NOT the perfect machine that they envisioned it to be.

In fact, I am seriously considering a switch to a RAzr or even back to my iPhone 4s.

The thing that is getting me the most is that right now too many apps dont work well with ICS. Maybe when other devices have ICS and apps are more compatable with it, then it will be a great device.

I only have 4 add on apps running on my Nexus right now because I kept getting reboots when I had all my previous apps installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as what I mean by terrible (display) is that looking at it directly everything is yellowish (very noticeable) if tilting the device at an angle, up and down or side to side) the yellow tint goes away.

If you can just test this yourself because if I look at it straight on for awhile it looks normal but once I look at it at an angle again I see how yellow it is straight on.

As for all the Gnex vs Razr stuff, I hands down enjoy the experience I am having with the Razr, despite issues, than my experience with the nexus.

bubbadog

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any yellowish tint on mine. I agree that this is a Razr site and wonder why owners of other phones are on here slamming the Razr. I guess they don't want to admit they made a mistake buying something else.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I own a Nexus and IMO I think the reason Nexus owners show up so frequently in other device forums is because deep down they admit that this phone is NOT the perfect machine that they envisioned it to be.
There are pros and cons to each device and no device is perfect by a long shot. It's nice to have choices so a consumer can pick the device that has the least cons and the most pros for THEM. I put "them" in all caps to emphasize no one device is right for everyone. I have bad eyes and small hands - that impacts which phone will be the best for me.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I can see the yellowish tint that some mention. I first noticed it with someone else holding it and I was at an extreme angle. To be honest I understand the tech and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't watching someone else use it.

If something like that does bother you then its not the product for you, easy as that.

I don't own either so I'd consider myself unbias.

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I can see the yellowish tint that some mention. I first noticed it with someone else holding it and I was at an extreme angle. To be honest I understand the tech and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't watching someone else use it.

If something like that does bother you then its not the product for you, easy as that.

I don't own either so I'd consider myself unbias.

It seems you didn't read my post clearly, I don't notice the yellow tint at an angle, I only notice it head on. The phone looks much better/ clearer at extreme angles. I don't even know how its possible but it's what's happening.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems you didn't read my post clearly, I don't notice the yellow tint at an angle, I only notice it head on. The phone looks much better/ clearer at extreme angles. I don't even know how its possible but it's what's happening.

If that's the case it's a defective screen. When viewed straight on the Razr's screen is bright, crisp and clear with no discoloration.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
With my RAZR, at extreme angles it looks blueish. Thats an Amoled trait I remember reading about last year.

The yellow tint head on, I dont think that normal.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
With my RAZR, at extreme angles it looks blueish. Thats an Amoled trait I remember reading about last year.

The yellow tint head on, I dont think that normal.

Same here, at an angle the screen looks greenish/blueish but dead on it looks fine to me. AMOLED screens have been known to sometimes suffer this effect.

No yellow tinge on mine though, at least not to my eyes. Whites don't look absolutely white on my Razr, but definitely not yellowish. Maybe try swinging by a Verizon store and compare it to a display Razr.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance