So i got the Gnex and Razr heres my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear some things up. The Gnex has a GPU that is clocked higher than the GPU in the Razr however that does not mean it will play games better. Due to the increase in the phones resolution the GPU needs to be clocked higher to handle it. Just like PC's resolution is the biggest performance hit when it comes to graphics. I don't know if the Razr is faster at its resolution and lower clock rate on the GPU or if its about the same as the Gnex with the higher clock rate on the GPU and higher resolution. If anyone is interested in this info i can try to do some work and figure this out but i think they are pretty close in terms of gaming performance. But im just tossing this info out there. Just because the GPU is clocked higher. It does not mean it will run games faster if it is pushing a bunch of extra pixels.

Ok so the Razr is a awesome phone and you really cant go wrong with it. Its never gave me any problems but its not without its faults.

So my First Gnex was a dud. Total p.o.s. Took it back and went back to a Razr. Then i found a Gnex on CL new unopened for $575. Planned on getting one off contract anyways so i got it switched over and been using it for a few days now.

Very nice phone. Feels cheap to me but i do like it. Screen is nice phone is responsive and android 4.0 is awesome. However compared to the Razr the batt life sucks bad and the signal is very bad. Side by side i would only get 3 bars of signal to my Razrs full signal. And it seems that the Gnex is more sensitive to signal drops than the Razr. Batt life on the Gnex is dog poo stock. But with some tweaks adjustments in settings and juice defender i can no go a day on one charge.

The camera on the Gnex is nice. Pics take very fast and its must faster than the Raz. However at a distance the pictures are about the same in terms of how clear they are "Razr is running the latest OTA and so is the Gnex" but up close it seems the Gnex is taking slightly clearer pics.

The transition from vertical to horizontal screen orientation on the Razr is faster and i don't know why its so slow on the Gnex. Perhaps this could be changed in updates or custom roms.

I'll post more of my 2 cents soon and if anyone wants to know anything just go ahead and ask and shoot me a pm and i'll see what i can do. I love both phones and i plan on using both. The Gnex has given me some issues but its nothing that people already don't know about. The Razr has not given me any issues.

Update. 12/28/11

Batt. Life has improved with some use on the Gnex. I can now go a whole day with normal use with the stock battery, Still not as good as a the Razr but not as bad as when i first got it.

On my way home i did see that my Razr can pick up 4g further than my Nexus.

Dropped the Razr today from about 5 feet getting out of a truck. It was in a soft case and landed on its top right hand corner. No damage what so ever to the phone. No issues with the phone after. Just posting that i know its not much but it was a drop and thought i would put the info out there on it.

Galaxy Nexus has a invisa shield and the Razr has the Clearguard i think something guard from the Verizon store and the Razr's is a lot smoother it does not have the ripples like invisa shield.

Pics. Not both phones are in cases. The Razr in a thick soft case and the Nexus in a hard case. Pretty close in size. Crappy pics were taken with my Evo 3D. LAst two pics the phones were stacked on on top of another.

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Added unlimited data and hotspot today. On the Nexus when i turn it on and try to run it i get a error. Just says error under the stats. I tried to reboot and still the same thing. Might take 24 hours to fully work so i'll test again then. But other people have reported the same issue. I have not tested this out on the Razr and i prob. wont until after work tomorrow.

Update 12/31/11

Hotspot on the Gnex and Razr working. I tried a few hours after it would fail and it was fully working on both. Both provide N connections and it was pretty useable even with a 3g connection.

Gnex's battey has improved a lot since i got it. I can now go a whole day on one charge easy on the stock battery for the day. I will be getting the extended as soon as i can find one local. However last night for some reason and this is the first time the Gnex did this my Razr never did it. But the android market started sucking up some background data all night. Not a lot about 50mb but it was the first time its ever done that and it should not be for how my settings are. My Razr never done this thanks to smart actions and Juice defender should of disabled the data connection on the Gnex at night when im asleep.

After today i will switch back to the Razr for a week.

Honestly as of right now its hard to say whats a better phone. They are both awesome phones, they both have pros and cons and honestly the way i look at it now its just a matter of what flavor you like. Either way you cant really go wrong with either phone and i cant wait to see how ICS runs on the Razr because if its anything like my Evo3D. When it gets ICS is will be a very very very nice phone.

1/1/12

Just got the extended battery for the Gnex. Stock back cover will fit with it in. Also the incipto case fits with it. Razr is running strong and smooth.

1/17/12

Gnex's 3g is dead. Cant get a 3g signal anywhere. Razr is picking it up just fine. Final verdict is the Gnex is a cheap p.o.s. and you should avoid it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The Gnex has given me some issues but its nothing that people already don't know about. The Razr has not given me any issues.
Gah, I think I may have to add another line to get a Razr. I am not giving up my GNex but I do want a Razr, just so I can make phone calls, lol!

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Gah, I think I may have to add another line to get a Razr. I am not giving up my GNex but I do want a Razr, just so I can make phone calls, lol!

To me, being able to make phone calls and send and receive texts is paramount. Everything else is a bonus.

Let's face it, Samsung phones suck when it comes to the ability to get a signal. Why Google would ever go back to Samsung for this Nexus is beyond me. Here's to hoping that the next one is a Moto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. I prefer the ability to make calls from my phone.
Hmm, not sure how I was misinterpreted, I was saying that the next Nexus should be made by Moto - just with a removable battery, curved edges, a 720p screen and not as wide as the Razr, none of which should impact the ability to make calls from a phone.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
OK here is my take. With the add on of thumb keyboard on the Raze. Now I really see why I prefer the Raze o er the GN. I love texting on the Raze better and I love the feel of it better than the GN. If u tweak it the GN is a hair faster. But it was a tough decision. They are sooooooo close. Darn. Better call reliability Razr

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Very nice phone. Feels cheap to me but i do like it. Screen is nice phone is responsive and android 4.0 is awesome. However compared to the Razr the batt life sucks bad and the signal is very bad. Side by side i would only get 3 bars of signal to my Razrs full signal. And it seems that the Gnex is more sensitive to signal drops than the Razr.

The RAZR doesn't show your LTE signal in the signal display on the notification bar. What its showing you is 1x coverage, which is always much better than LTE. The Nexus is the first LTE phone that shows the proper LTE signal in bars, and it is weaker than 1x or 3G, which is why there are far fewer bars. But make no mistake, the signal the nexus gets is IDENTICAL to the signal the RAZR gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jtlapp69

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I think you're both practicing voodoo. In the first case, different phones can report different bar counts for the same detected signal strength even when they do purport to measure the same signal. The RAZR reports different signals in different circumstances. It isn't useful to compare reported signal strengths. It's better to measure signal availability.

In the second case, I'm reading on this forum that some people are not noticing a difference in signal availability between the phones. I'm also reading that some people with both phones are reporting that the RAZR is often available when the GN is not. I don't recall reading a case of anyone reporting better availability for the GN though.

In my case, I live in a spot for which the signal comes and goes. I have never had a phone that was always available to make phone calls from my house - that is, until I got this RAZR. This phone has the best reception of any phone I have ever owned. I have not yet lost a call. However, up until now, I have only ever had Sanyo and Palm. Even so, a friend with an iPhone found her phone dropping to zero bars in my house, and a neighbor with some Android phone (don't remember which) also saw his bars drop to zero.

Whatever the GN is, I'm convinced that Moto receptivity is top if the line.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think you're both practicing voodoo. In the first case, different phones can report different bar counts for the same detected signal strength even when they do purport to measure the same signal. The RAZR reports different signals in different circumstances. It isn't useful to compare reported signal strengths. It's better to measure signal availability.

In the second case, I'm reading on this forum that some people are not noticing a difference in signal availability between the phones. I'm also reading that some people with both phones are reporting that the RAZR is often available when the GN is not. I don't recall reading a case of anyone reporting better availability for the GN though.

In my case, I live in a spot for which the signal comes and goes. I have never had a phone that was always available to make phone calls from my house - that is, until I got this RAZR. This phone has the best reception of any phone I have ever owned. I have not yet lost a call. However, up until now, I have only ever had Sanyo and Palm. Even so, a friend with an iPhone found her phone dropping to zero bars in my house, and a neighbor with some Android phone (don't remember which) also saw his bars drop to zero.

Erm. No. The RAZR cannot show its LTE signal strength anywhere on the device that the user can see. They're in some log file that isn't end user accessible. So comparing the dBm of the RAZR to the nexus is apples and oranges. One is showing you LTE strength, and the other is showing you 1x or 3G strength. Anandtech did a write up about this, and found that the signal strength of the RAZR is identical to that of the nexus on 4g. The difference is that the nexus is actually reporting this properly.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The RAZR doesn't show your LTE signal in the signal display on the notification bar. What its showing you is 1x coverage, which is always much better than LTE. The Nexus is the first LTE phone that shows the proper LTE signal in bars, and it is weaker than 1x or 3G, which is why there are far fewer bars. But make no mistake, the signal the nexus gets is IDENTICAL to the signal the RAZR gets.

Erm. No. The RAZR cannot show its LTE signal strength anywhere on the device that the user can see. They're in some log file that isn't end user accessible. So comparing the dBm of the RAZR to the nexus is apples and oranges. One is showing you LTE strength, and the other is showing you 1x or 3G strength. Anandtech did a write up about this, and found that the signal strength of the RAZR is identical to that of the nexus on 4g. The difference is that the nexus is actually reporting this properly.

Real world use might be another story... since we all dont have the luxury of being in great reception areas. And for some reason real world use keeps getting overlooked in all this...

And for the G Nex to put a higher priority on LTE readings was a mistake by Google and/or Samsung IMO. Since this is a phone first I would wanna know my phone reception readings...like every other Verizon LTE phone does. Until the time VoLTE comes out...please show me the phone reception readings....for my phone.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Just take a look at the GN owners forum and you'll see that people are complaining about not being able to make and receive calls. I don't care what the signal strength or number of bars are, signal reception is spotty on the GN, and this is coming from GN owners.

Reactions: chevyman29 and jroc

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just take a look at the GN owners forum and you'll see that people are complaining about not being able to make and receive calls. I don't care what the signal strength or number of bars are, signal reception is spotty on the GN, and this is coming from GN owners.

I had a few close to drop calls with GN and since I was having a hard time deciding between the two that was excuse enough to go back to the Razr.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

This says it all why the Razr has the edge. I will say in some areas the GN is snappier. But the Razr is a more polished overall well rounded device. The developers will have fun with it hacking and tweaking but whats really important. Also this phone does have better overall features out of the box.
Not knocking the GN jus sayin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What is a "close to drop calls"?

Exactly what I want to know.
It's not analog anymore.
You either have a signal or you don't.
The rest is just how the UI is programmed.
On my older regular phones LG had more bars then Moto, and certainly more bars then Kyocera when it was analog and you had to pull out the antenna from the phone.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Look regarding the GN I was having such a hard time making a decision. I liked the feel of the Razr but the Screen on the GN was awesome and with some tweaks it was snappy. I loaded ADWex on both, and the GN seemed snappier by a hair than the Razr. The text is slightly richer on the GN
where the Razr has the better backlight in the browser. I know its prefrence I like the sleekness
of the razr in hand. I loaded thumb keyboard on both, amped up the volume and the haptic feedback.
I prefer texting on the Razr as opposed to the GN the sound the feel in hand. So I had to make a choice. Even while I was using the GN I would still think about the Razr. I think about the GN when using the Razr but not as much vice versa.
What made my decision for me was the call issue. Especially after having the Droid Charge for a few months with an aggravating BT issue. I had to make an honest assessment and ask myself
do I want to deal with something that will nag me from time to time for the next 6months to a year.
Trust me it was a hard decision, and since I only have a cell phone I forced myself to be practical.
So believe me this isn't fanboism going on coming from me. My last two phones have been Samsung.
The Fascinate and the Charge, also I always said to that if Moto makes a screen that comes close to Sammy I would give it a shot. I hope this clarifies my stance.
Also I am less paranoid around liquid with the Razr than I was with the GN. ;)

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Also the Cnet review, verified Razr splash/water resistant.....

"The Kevlar backing won't make the phone bullet-resistant, but Motorola did seek to make the Droid Razr as durable as it could. It has a "nanotechnology coating" that guards the phone against the occasional splash. We placed the Droid Razr under running water for a few seconds, and the water did seem to bead and roll off it, like on a freshly waxed car. It's not water-resistant however, so we wouldn't go swimming with it. The Corning Gorilla Glass display is also said to be scratch-resistant"

Here is the link below expand it its toward the middle where the speak of design
Read more: Motorola Droid Razr -black Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Expand the review its close to the bottom........

tdubrpdx

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

Don't be so defensive. There is now plenty of first hand, albeit anecdotal evidence of the Nexus having signal problems where the RAZR doesn't. The only people bringing up the dBm statistics are Nexus owners. We're talking about total or near total loss of signal and dropped calls. These problems don't seem to be happening to near the same extent on the RAZR. In fact many (myself included) have noticed that the RAZR has the best reception of any phone they've owned. I doubt you'll find very many people saying that about the Nexus. There is more to this than the signal reporting discrepancy.

It reminds me of the old adage: If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are its a duck.

Reactions: jroc
Status
Not open for further replies.