Gmail and Contact Question.

slbe1892

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
So I got bored at work and started fiddling with my phone and am now unsure or how it should be. I had two email accounts and decided to put everything in my gmail acct and get rid of the other one(aol). First off is it better to use the built in email app or the gmail app. I seem to be having a problem making sure the gmail app notifys me of new emails like the built in email app did.

As far as the contacts are concerned, I've noticed there are like 7 different display options for your contacts (google, backup assistant, preset, facebook, phone-only, unsynced). What is everyone else using?

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Its better to use the gmail address with the gmail account... i have never had issues with gmail (minus those 12 days back in early 2011 when app update screwed everyone up.). I always get my gmail about 5-10 seconds after the user (even me) sends email to myself. I cna only suggest that you make sure your email, account, etc is in sync (settings>account) and to make sure yoru email notifications are one (gmail>settings>notificaitons at bottom).

As far as the contacts are concerned, I only use Google (my primary gmail account). This way, no matter what android phone im on, whether it be my Droid X or my Droid RAZR or even my laptop, if i make a correction or edit or add or delete on 1 device, the other will get the change and instantly sync the change in my contacts... plus, lets say i up and get another android.. Google will sync the contacts instantly upon the phone setup with that gmail account.

I also use Facebook and Twitter and Sykpe and Tango and Fringe and Google Talk SYNC ( i know im a nuttcase) so all my contacts on the above sync with my Gmail contacts... and if they arent in my gmail contacts, then facebook makes the contact and updates the others too... So, in the end, if I wanna call Katie, ill have the option to Call her, inbox her on facebook, tweet her, skype her or G-Talk her. LOL LOL LOL

slbe1892

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe I got it now. But it shows the sync icon on the top bar alot. How often does it do that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe I got it now. But it shows the sync icon on the top bar alot. How often does it do that?

Depends... how often are you editing your Google account and what is being synced. Calendars, emails, contacts, contact data, books, Google+, pics album, instant uploads... go to my accounts, click on your gmail, see what you have syncing. :)

slbe1892

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends... how often are you editing your Google account and what is being synced. Calendars, emails, contacts, contact data, books, Google+, pics album, instant uploads... go to my accounts, click on your gmail, see what you have syncing. :)

The only thing I have checked now is Gmail. So how often will it check my email? Does it matter that I have Smart Actions disabling data when the screen goes off? Will it automatically check every time I unlock the phone?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I have checked now is Gmail. So how often will it check my email? Does it matter that I have Smart Actions disabling data when the screen goes off? Will it automatically check every time I unlock the phone?

It won't check for emails if Smart Actions has your data disabled, but it will check once you unlock the phone. You can also set up time frames for that Smart Action that allows the phone to sync for a set time, even when the screen is off.

jl1967

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I believe GMAIL app push your email soon as you get one. Stock EMAIL app came with phone, you can pick one of presetting interval from email settings.
Not sure about the SmartAction but gmail will com even your screen is off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca