So I finally got settled in with my Razr, thinking I'm happy with it -- especially with all the customization I did to it.

Then I tried listening to music on it last night with headphones. I was surprised by how bad it was. At the lowest volume, there was a noticeable hiss.

Is this common to your Razrs too?

Thanks,

Will
    01-07-2012 06:49 AM
    No, I have used several headphones without a hiss. That includes Motorola S305 Bluetooth headphones, my Acura RDX sound system through both Bluetooth and Auxiliary, and my Bose IE2 headphones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    01-07-2012 10:41 AM
    Eclipse2k,

Thanks for the reply. This is odd. Maybe I should visit a VZW store and compare with a demo....
    01-07-2012 12:18 PM
    I haven't noticed a hiss, I use both the stock music and power amp...both sound good.I don't have any expensive head phones either..skull candy ear buds..i would try different head phones first.

01-07-2012 07:09 PM
    I haven't noticed any hiss. I've been using the Motorola headphones. The stock music app and Google Music have been working well.
    01-07-2012 09:09 PM
    Do you notice the hiss at all volume levels? Which music application? As I said before, I haven't noticed any hissing on YouTube, Amazon MP3, stock music, SiriusXM, or PlayerPro.

01-07-2012 09:22 PM
    I copied an MP3 of a podcast to my RAZR and listened through the same earbuds I use with my old iPod Classic, and didn't like the RAZR's sound at all. I didn't notice a hiss, but the sound was just wrong - irritating, sharp. I used whatever software comes up when you tap on an MP3, whatever that may be. I deleted the file and decided not to use the RAZR for podcasts or music. (Video podcasts played through the speakerphone are fine, however, though they sound much better on my PC.)

There were reports from the beginning that music through the RAZR was not good, and I recall something about EM interference coming from some component. Perhaps a Bluetooth headphone that bypasses the internal D/A converter would work better, but it would be much less portable than earbuds.
    01-07-2012 09:55 PM
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. I've tried 3 different headphones, and they all demonstrate the same hiss at low volume, while my iphone does not. Not sure what I'll do about it. I'm sure that during my commute on Monday, the volume will be high enough to make the hiss not noticeable.

I'm really enjoying the Razr otherwise, so I'll likely just keep it.

Best,

Will
    01-08-2012 12:26 AM
    No hiss here with several different sets of in ear earphones
    Ch

01-08-2012 12:39 AM
    Is this hiss a loud hiss or a subtle hiss? I tried to replicate it just now with my Bose IE2 earbuds and failed to do so. I also tried to replicate the hissing sound with my Astro A40 gaming headphones with no success. Just as before, I used both PlayerPro and the stock music application to test it. I wish I had a cheap pair of headphones to check but I don't and that's a shame.
    01-08-2012 05:22 AM
    It definitely has nothing to do with the headphones. I'm using the same headphones on Razr and the iphone, so I'm holding the headphones constant. BTW, I've used Apple, v-moda, and Dennon headphones.

Anyway, maybe it's just my particular unit, or some offending app...
    01-08-2012 09:14 AM
    It definitely has nothing to do with the headphones. I'm using the same headphones on Razr and the iphone, so I'm holding the headphones constant. BTW, I've used Apple, v-moda, and Dennon headphones.

Anyway, maybe it's just my particular unit, or some offending app...
    I figured, but I was checking to see if maybe one set of headphones was more noticeable on my end. Good luck figuring it out, I'd be annoyed by a hissing sound.

01-08-2012 05:42 PM
    I have a suggestion, try going to settings > Sound > Media Audio Effects > Wired stereo devices and disable the audio effects by removing the check mark. If you still have a hiss, it is probably a hardware issue.
    01-08-2012 07:36 PM
    JaBr1884,

That's exactly what it was! Hiss is now gone. There's now a very happy Razr camper in NJ!! :-)

Thanks much!!!

Will
    01-08-2012 07:50 PM
    JaBr1884,

That's exactly what it was! Hiss is now gone. There's now a very happy Razr camper in NJ!! :-)

Thanks much!!!

Will
    Glad to hear, although, I have the 3D effect on and I don't hear any hissing. Strange.

01-08-2012 10:05 PM
    I also didn't hear any hissing with 3d on, but the quality was far inferior when compared to disabling all audio effects.

I'm glad that took care of your problem WilburNJ! I'm trying to spread the word on disabling audio effects, I have a thread started on the Motorola User forum. So far I haven't found a single person who has said they prefer the audio effect, so I'm wondering if Moto should have it disabled by default.
    01-08-2012 10:20 PM
    I turned off the effects and than turned it back on. I can now hear the slight hissing sound with the effects on. It wasn't noticeable until I switched back and fourth between the two several times.

01-09-2012 02:26 AM
    Hmmmm, strange. Anyway, I'm fine without it. If you liked it before the hiss appeared on yours, hope you can get it to re-engage without the hiss.

Best,

Will
    01-09-2012 06:49 AM
    Hmmmm, strange. Anyway, I'm fine without it. If you liked it before the hiss appeared on yours, hope you can get it to re-engage without the hiss.

Best,

Will
    The hissing doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm almost positive its not a hiss at all. But the effect being off has less of a background sounding noise than the 3D effect did. I prefer the effect to be off.

01-09-2012 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD