How successful was the Droid Razr?

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, it isn't as as successful as the original Motorola Droid nor the original Razr, but how successful is the Droid Razr on Verizon alone? How many units did it sell? Did it surpass the Galaxy Nexus? How successful are the overseas version of the phone? How many units did the Droid Razr MAXX sell? Anybody have numbers?

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
imo it was very successful and i think its the best selling phone on vzw other then the iPhone of course.

the original droid was successful imo because consumers didn't have too many choices back then with vzw because well the iPhone wasn't there.

and its more popular then the galaxy nexus as well imo probably due to the marketing

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was at the VZW store last night. My wife got a RAZR a few weeks ago and wanted a case. I ended up getting the shell/holster combo for my release day RAZR as well. At any rate, I asked the sales guy if the RAZR was selling well and what his best selling phone was. He said the RAZR was the best selling other than the iPhone. He also felt that was largely due to the fact that it's on the BOGO sale.

He said since day one they sell like hotcakes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the MAXX is backordered by a few days tells me the RAZR line is pretty popular. Out of all the 4G phones I've used for work, the RAZR is my favorite.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've wondered this too since the ROM scene is pretty weak. That's probably the biggest disappointment coming from the HTC Incredible.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've wondered this too since the ROM scene is pretty weak. That's probably the biggest disappointment coming from the HTC Incredible.

That may be due to the locked/difficult bootloader than anything else. Besides, average people do not care about rooting or ROMs. They just use their phone.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The bootloader was also locked on the incredible. Plus the fastboot files and such have been available for the RAZR for some time now, so there's no concern of bricking.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's great, but check developer forums. A lot of devs sort of boycott working on ROMs for locked down Moto phones. So, despite the anti-bricking insurance files, fewer devs target this device.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy that. Sure it might be an annoyance to work with locked bootloaders but there is a huge dev community around HTC devices and many of those also have locked bootloaders.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy that. Sure it might be an annoyance to work with locked bootloaders but there is a huge dev community around HTC devices and many of those also have locked bootloaders.

True, but HTC bootloaders have typically been easier to crack into than Moto's. I've put ROMs of all flavors on my HTC EVO and HTC Desire. I had terrible luck messing around with my Motorola Bionic. That got so off track that it was stuck in a weird limbo of radio firmware updates I could never recover from.

Overall, I'm just saying that I don't think you can gauge a phone's commercial success on how the dev/mod/hack community reacts to it. Non-hacker users and businesses will always be the larger group driving purchases.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I would assume that the amount of custom development would be directionaly in line with a phones success as one would only want to develop software for devices with a large user base.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sound logic, if you're trying to make a profit. Since most ROM work doesn't see any income from users buying and installing, it doesn't equate 1:1. Sometimes, the ease of development and loyalty will outweigh the number of users. If it's more difficult for an average RAZR user to contemplate putting a ROM on there, it follows that it would be less likely that a ROM developer would target that device even if it had more general population users.

It's just one indicator among many that would tell us how successful the phone has been. Look at the attached graphics showing installs of a particular app. One is for overall installs and the other is for current daily installs. If we use this as our criteria, it seems that the RAZR is equally as popular as several other Android phones. Not only that, but in the current daily install chart, it has a higher percentage than any other named phone and is second only to the "Other" category.

I'm not saying that any given app's install behavior is representative of how many devices are being sold, but it is definitely another metric. I would be curious for other app devs to check their stats to see if the trends are similar.
Until Moto or Verizon want to share some numbers publicly, we are all guessing based on isolated factors. :)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
A better metric is to simply look at this forum as opposed to looking at the number of ROMS or dev activity. Not much going in as opposed to forums for other popular phones at this point in their lives. That's actually a good thing. People have discovered an unusually stable and capable phone and haven't needed nearly as much forum help as other phones. Not much moaning about what the phone can and cannot do. And, for me, I haven't felt the need to root the phone as I had for the Eris and the Droid X. Part of this is that I want to wait for ICS before doing it, but mostly it's because it feels right out of the box. I might not actually ever root the damn thing, which would be a first for me for the last three phones.

This is purely subjective but I spent a lot of forum time with the Eris and the Droid X researching and asking about "issues".

So, from a "success" standpoint, I'd say it's been successful. From a sales standpoint, I dunno, but I suspect that it's been successful, especially if you include the MAXX. The only real issue with the phone was addressed by the MAXX. And, for people like me who have the UrRazr, an external battery takes care of it as well.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar