Buying daughter a phone, should it be Razr or Galaxy Nexus

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I know there are some threads on this but my situation may be a little different.

My daughter is eligible for a new phone on May. I'm doing the research now.

However, my point of view is slanted somewhat. I have a Galaxy Nexus. My wife has a Galaxy Nexus. One of my other daughters has a Galaxy Nexus. I really like the relatively pure Ice Cream Sandwich experience. I'm not particularly fond of a few things on the Nexus such as battery life and inconsistent 4G connectivity. But, for the most part, I love the phone and wouldn't have anything else. That doesn't mean it's best for my daughter, though.

I do know, from experience, that Ice Cream Sandwitch as it is on the Nexus, is much easier to learn than pre ICS versions of Android. I've been an Android user for 3 years but my wife just got her first smart phone, a Nexus. She's not very tech oriented and had the Nexus not been available I'm sure she would have picked an iPhone instead. She had tried my pre-ICS phones over the years but never cared for them. ICS is perfect for her.

My daughter is currently using a Thunderbolt. So, I have a few questions about the Razr from you folks.

1. Any sense on when ICS will be available on the Razr?
  2. Will ICS look like ICS on the Razr or will Motorola add their skin and make it look like the pre-ICS Razr
  3. What's the current price of the Maxx directly from Verizon?
  4. If you had it to do over again would you pick the Razr?
  5. Are there any folks that traded in the Nexus for a Razr?, if so, why?
  6. A non-removable batter personally makes me nervous. Should I be?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
We don't know when ICS is coming for the RAZR, but I would guess it's going to be blurred by Motorola. Not that it's a bad thing, Blur is really light and pretty close to stock. I like it, personally. I believe the MAXX is being sold for $300 through Verizon. I would pick the RAZR again in a heartbeat. There's no need to worry about the non-removable battery, unless you need to carry spares around with you.

LordPoncho

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Any sense on when ICS will be available on the Razr?
Will ICS look like ICS on the Razr or will Motorola add their skin and make it look like the pre-ICS Razr
What's the current price of the Maxx directly from Verizon?
If you had it to do over again would you pick the Razr?
Are there any folks that traded in the Nexus for a Razr?, if so, why?
A non-removable batter personally makes me nervous. Should I be?

1. No timeframe, but Motorola is notorious for just randomly pushing out the update with no warning.
2. It'll be blurred a bit, but it'll still look like ICS.
3. The Maxx is $249.99 at my local Verizon store (and online.)
4. I am actually picking up a Razr Maxx tomorrow for my upgrade, so I can't answer this one for you.
5. ^
6. I've heard that there's no reason to be worried about it.

midas69

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can answer #5. I originally chose the Nexus as I too wanted ICS. It was nice, but I had a major issue getting connected to my work Exchange server. I know it's a problem on our IT side, but I can't fix that. Since there are a few other Android users in our company I figured going back to Gingerbread would solve the issue. It didn't completely, but at least I can now get Touchdown to connect to my email in not Activesync mode.

I'm actually quite shocked that I like the Razr Maxx as much as I do. It feels like a better made phone than the Nexus. The radios are much better on the Razr too. Sitting in the same place in my office, my LTE speeds using speedtest.net are consistently 50-80% higher with the Razr. And that's even after I flashed the Nexus with the leaked 4.04 software and radios.

And the battery, well, that's the most amazing part. Using the Nexus, I'd typically be down to 40% battery by the time 11AM rolled around. I couldn't even make it to the end of my shift without plugging it in. And that was with the extended battery (2100mAH). The Razr, I have no such concerns. I can run all day, come home and by 10PM I'm still well over 50%. If I forget to plug it in over night, I'm still at 50% 24 hours after I last unplugged it.

The non-removable battery was a concern to me initially. It's one of the other reasons I originally went with the Nexus. But I survived about 4 years with my iPod Touch. And I picked up a HP Touchpad during the firesale that also doesn't have a removable battery.

As far as price though, check out Amazon. I got my Nexus for only $99 from them. The Razr Maxx though was $200.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463