Battery life for "normal" user

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
After a brief stint with a BlackBerry Bold, then an iPhone 4s, I'm back to my Droid X2. Always seem to miss Android and come back to it. Anyway, I see the Razr is now 99 bucks so I'm thinking of picking one up. I've read so many different posts and reviews on battery life that I'm not sure what is accurate.

I unplug my DX2 at 8:00 AM, and at bedtime I'll have 60-70% left. I'm not a heavy user; maybe a handful of calls per day, some text messages and some browsing. How would the Razr battery handle this kind of usage?

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Motorola DROID RAZR VS Motorola DROID X2 - Phone specs comparison

you should be perfectly ... more than perfectly fine... 1780 mAh battery in the RAZR compared to the 1540 mAh battery in a X2... oh yeah... based on your question, if you do 30-40% battery usage in 12-15 hours on a 1540 mAh battery, and you dont change a darn thing in your usage patterns on the RAZR, that should be 20-30% usage. Going to bed on 70-80% battery... lol... no worries

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I use mine maybe a little more than what you described and I haven't had any problems. Of course its no blackberry as far as battery life but its a good trade off

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the Juice Defender App on my phone and average about a day and a half of battery life. If I don't use my phone much, then two days. I'm a light user for the most part.

WiFi is what will save your battery on this phone. I've been really impressed with the battery life of the Razr. Have you thought about buying a Razr Maxx?

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
On day 1 my battery life was HORRIBLE, and I discovered it was because I took the microSD card right out of my DX and put it in my Razr. Backed up the data to my computer, reformatted the card, and it improved dramatically.

I also installed JuiceDefender. Now at bedtime I have 50% battery left where the DX would have been dead.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still deciding, and I really like the looks of the new Incredible. But I like stock Android, like when I had the original Droid, so I'm thinking Nexus. This is why I love Android and keep coming back; choices.

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nexus battery can only handle about 2 hours of screen on time. If battery life is a concern stick with a RAZR or RAZR MAxx.

lifeis good

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Normally, I get about 15+ hours on normal/light usage. (Light browsing, texting, calling) On heavy usage, I get about 8 hours. (Lots of browsing, streaming radio/music, some gaming) At first, my battery life was definitely disappointing (6 hours medium usage) but gradually got better, I'm not sure why, by I'm sure glad it did. Like dsuppa said, if you still have doubts, get the Droid Razr Maxx. but with your amount of usage, the Razr's battery should be sufficient.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
get a razr, ive done extensive amounts of research before i bought mine, it is no doubt the best android phone on the market in terms of hardware , design, preformance, and call quality... the maxx is the exact same phone with a bigger battery, so depending oon how much you use it, depends on wether or not you would need a maxx... as far as a comparison the the dx? its a huge upgrade...

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I own and have used both GNex and RAZR and there is absolutely no comparison - the RAZR is the superior phone. The battery life is much better on the RAZR. Even more importantly the radios on the GNex are awful. Nice to have stock ICS, but not a whole lot of use if you can't connect to WiFi or cellular.

Reactions: twindragons187

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I like the RAZR. If I knew of the maxx I would have waited because I am a heavy user. I use 3g when I'm online and 4g is mostly used for downloading large podcast episodes and it usually last a minute or two at a time. I use wifi at home. Other than that my data is off. My screen is on medium since I'm outside most of the day. I thought i was OK. And I still have to charge it 2-4 times a day. I thought it was my RAZR that was not good. So I borrowed an iPhone 4 since I've heard that they last a long time. And nope. I am a heavy user. Since I still need to charge it 1-2 times a day. Now its less charging times but it is not connected to any network. I only use Wi-Fi. So as u can see I am a heavy user. I'm currently looking at craigslist to see if I can find a trade or something for a maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I own and have used both GNex and RAZR and there is absolutely no comparison - the RAZR is the superior phone. The battery life is much better on the RAZR. Even more importantly the radios on the GNex are awful. Nice to have stock ICS, but not a whole lot of use if you can't connect to WiFi or cellular.

I did end up picking up the Nexus, and already swapped for another one. The radio is awful like you said. I mean it's totally useless. I'm consistently at a signal strength of -100 to -120 dBm. I'm swapping it for the Maxx. I really like ICS, but the Razr will get it soon enough.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I did end up picking up the Nexus, and already swapped for another one. The radio is awful like you said. I mean it's totally useless. I'm consistently at a signal strength of -100 to -120 dBm. I'm swapping it for the Maxx. I really like ICS, but the Razr will get it soon enough.

Wow. After all that you went Nexus on us:) Well at least you came to your senses before it's too late. I have the Maxx and as I type this message my battery is above 60% at 11hrs of medium usage. You don't sound like you need this kind of juice and was drawn into the razr by the 99 price tag so you may not need this but if you go Maxx you will be happy.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Even though you think you don't need it the Maxx adds very little weight and thickness but having the bigger battery is worth the $100 in my opinion - especially with LTE and the fact you will be signing a new 2 year contract. JMHO and YMMV.

Reactions: ballroomdru

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I am a light user - a couple of calls, maybe a little searching and texting. Occasional GPS. Using Smart Actions, I can get over 24h per charge. I do all kinds of things to save battery power: I minimize brightness, I disable cellular data and background sync when the screen is off, and at night I disable the gps too.

As a heavier user, I could easily go a full working day and evening on one charge.

I'm a new Android user, a recent convert from the Palm Pre Plus. The battery is like night and day, and I have never been so happy with my phone's battery usage.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Even though you think you don't need it the Maxx adds very little weight and thickness but having the bigger battery is worth the $100 in my opinion - especially with LTE and the fact you will be signing a new 2 year contract. JMHO and YMMV.
This is why I got the MAXX as well. I could have saved $100 but I have NEVER had great battery life on a phone (11 years, 11 different phones) and I am working sometimes in locations that are essentially bomb shelters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance