unable to install 2.3.6 OTA update

Tovalmorgan

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have tried several times to install the OTA update to 2.3.6 on my razr. I was rooted, and had deleted some of the stock bloatware.

Since then I have stored the phone to stock several times, and each time the OTA 3.6 update fails to install.

I dont know what the hell to do here. If when ICS ever comes out I wont be able to get it cause every time I try and update the install fails.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You deleted bloatware. You broke root law without knowing the consequence----- no more OTA android updates ever again.

Motor, HTC, lg, Samsung, Sony etc all tie the bloatware into the stock rom and ota code. When you delete bloatware, su also deleted the code. So install the bloatware installs the app but doesn't install the stock tom code that su deletes. Like puzzle pieces, if 1 piece is missing, you'll never finish the puzzle. Thus the OTA fails.

Your only hope is to Fastboot flash the 744 build 2.3.5 verizon files or an earlier build. Basically its a fancy SBF. Google search for the files or see droidrzr.com in the development or hacks forums ......

Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mcraner

mcraner

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I had the same problem, except rather than delete the bloatware I renamed it with a ".bak" extension. This doesn't recover the lost space but it does keep the bloat apps from updating and running in the background as well as remove them from view in your apps menu.

I was able to rename the couple dozen apps I had disabled back to their .apk extensions and the update to 2.3.6 went through flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463